Intermittent power drop PD130, resets after turn off - TDI & Diesel Forum - uk-mkivs

Photo

Intermittent power drop PD130, resets after turn off

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:35 PM

Hi.

I've a 02 PD130 (ASZ) and just posted a longish 'hello' message on the 'into' page.  To business, the car has developed an oddity, which is annoying, frustrating and could be a bit dangerous.  At seemingly random times the car's power output drops.  It's happened ~10 times since probably early August and appears as a lack of acceleration or the car drops out of cruise control generally on a big hill.  I then have to drop down the gears and even with the revs ~2500k there's much less power.  It doesn't happen on every trip and it might happen during warm up or while a long way into a journey.  If I stop and then restart the engine (in a lay-by) or while driving the car's power is restored, but doing this on the move isn't ideal (and could presumably damage the turbo, too). 

No warning lights come on and my initial thoughts tended towards the MAF sensor.  I tried cleaning this (with brake cleaner, sadly) and all seemed fine, but it's an intermittent problem.  Yesterday I replaced the MAF sensor and also put in a new air filter element as the old one was quite dirty.  This combo seemed to be good as the car had plenty of oomph on a long uphill drag but quite a few miles later the same fault occurred, maddeningly on another long rise.

I don't think it's mechanical as all seems fine after being turned off and on, but I need to get this fixed.

Presuming that the new (Delphi) MAF sensor is fine, and I've no reason to thing it (or actually the original BOSCH one) are the problem where do I start with solving this one, please?

Cheers

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:56 PM

My first guess would be a coked up turbo, look up the Mr Muscle turbo clean.
  • ADH likes this

#3 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM

Hi. 

Thanks for your comment.  I was thinking that a coked up turbo wouldn't reset itself when turning off the engine, but then I did a bit of digging into your suggestion.  Here is some really useful stuff: https://www.myturbod...ode-TDI-fix.htm and here's a related YT video. https://www.youtube....?v=o1Hvt2b7PL0 

While I'm not going to start by squirting gunk into holes it does give me a place to start.  First thing will be to take a look.

Thanks

#4 egooverdrive

egooverdrive

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:24 PM

Does sound like limp mode from the turbo over speeding with sticky vanes. Very common problem with the TDI, I've been getting it for the last 10 years on my car.  Normally when I've done too much town driving.  The TDI likes to be given a good run on the motorway, ideally running at 4k revs under load every so often.

You can try getting the turbo to self clean, that's how I've managed my limp mode.  If it's happening going up hill, that's the ideal place to clear the vanes.  Drop a gear or 2 and go up the hill with your foot to the floor.  The longer you hold the revs at 4k+ the better.  If the turbo isn't too clogged that'll sort it, otherwise it's time to get the oven cleaner out.  The last resort is taking the turbo off to clean it since there's a lot of work involved.

2003 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI 110 ASV

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10786 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

Top tip: never clean a MAF sensor.  Solvents kill them.

Check for codes.  If it's underboost, it's a got a leak.  If overboost, it's sticky vanes.  Do not guess and do not allow the internet to buy parts for you.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#6 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:37 PM

From my understanding it'll go into limp mode if it's over boosting to prevent any damage.

The Mr Muscle clean doesn't take long at all and costs a few quid.

Get the car scanned to see what codes are stored.

#7 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:15 PM

More thanks to you all.  Been doing some more research and now know about the N75 (boost control valve) and turbo actuator, plus the mechanical side of things.  Didn't even realize these engines had a variable boost turbo.  Among others, this video has been useful Not looking forward to a turbo clean and rebuild if that's necessary, but it doesn't look too daunting. Car doesn't use oil and it's ~130k miles so should have plenty of life there.  Might also investigate the 'Revive' type clean but also the self-cleaning option, vroom, vroom.  Much of the recent mileage has been dual carriageway and motorway but there's clearly something not quite right.

Can anyone recommend a good code scanner in sw Devon (around the Plymouth area), or Exeter? Definitely wish I'd got the garage in Scotland to do this when they did the belt. Ah well.

#8 seagull VW

seagull VW

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:40 PM

I've got VCDS scan tool which you are free to use if you can get to Wellington near Taunton.

I've got the same vehicle so pretty sure it will work ok.

Let me know.

#9 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50129 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:49 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section.This site is well enough laid out to make them very easy to find.

#10 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

Ta. First post and clearly I don't know how this site is arranged. I can see there are some highly-related posts to mine in this part so if I'd found this section I might have been able to get the info without my message.

#11 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:04 PM

I've got VCDS scan tool which you are free to use if you can get to Wellington near Taunton.

I've got the same vehicle so pretty sure it will work ok.

Let me know.

Cool, thanks.  I've some relatives near there so it's a possibility, but further away than should be necessary.  Hopefully, I can get something sorted more locally.  Finger's crossed!

#12 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:39 AM

For what it's worth,

I had a 90k mile pd140 Jetta, similar engine to the pd130, except it's the slightly newer 2.0 litre engine found in Mk5 cars.

That car developed overboost issues too
I got used to clicking the engine off and on even on motorways to reset the limp mode.

Anyways ,

A garage did the revive thing. Which didn't do anything.
I bought another bottle of revive and did it myself. That still didn't cure.

I did the Mr muscle thing 3 times down the egr hole and moving the pushrod. That did nothing .

I took the hot side of the turbo off 2 times from underneath the car and sprayed and held Mr muscle in there whilst activating the push rod thing . That did nothing .

In the end we sold the car anyways, but for our car the Mr muscle no revive could cure the limp mode.
Ideally would have needed to remove turbo and clean it properly to make that car run normal again .

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#13 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

For what it's worth,

I had a 90k mile pd140 Jetta, similar engine to the pd130, except it's the slightly newer 2.0 litre engine found in Mk5 cars.

That car developed overboost issues too
I got used to clicking the engine off and on even on motorways to reset the limp mode.

Anyways ,

A garage did the revive thing. Which didn't do anything.
I bought another bottle of revive and did it myself. That still didn't cure.

I did the Mr muscle thing 3 times down the egr hole and moving the pushrod. That did nothing .

I took the hot side of the turbo off 2 times from underneath the car and sprayed and held Mr muscle in there whilst activating the push rod thing . That did nothing .

In the end we sold the car anyways, but for our car the Mr muscle no revive could cure the limp mode.
Ideally would have needed to remove turbo and clean it properly to make that car run normal again .

Hello and thanks for your post.  Sorry to hear of your woes.  I am hopeful that my problem isn't so intractable and general advice is to get the codes scanned so I know what to tackle.  The MAF sensor swap might have been a blind alley, but I now feel much better prepared to get to grips with this.  If there is wear in the turbo or damaged parts elsewhere then cleaning out my system won't improve the situation.  I've been doing a lot of motorway miles recently and there it's possible to run ~2k revs for hours on end. This might be good for some sort of cleaning but perhaps not for others; better than purely round town driving but not high revving cleaning.  The fault is quite intermittent, which might be a good thing, perhaps I can get it to disappear with cleaning, 'wiggling' or there's something up with a solenoid or vacuum hose.  I've trawled through the list of those with VCDS on that part of the forum and will message a few people who are local, but my initial look suggests these few members haven't been active for a while so will see.  Alternatively can see about the cost of suitable software and cable for myself.  My neighbour, who worked in the motor trade for many years and has a VW T5 might be able to help, too.  Anyway am too busy to do much before the latter part of the week. Cheers

#14 egooverdrive

egooverdrive

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

The £10 Ebay/Amazon VCDS cables work on the MK4 Golfs.  That's all it cost me to read codes and enable my cruise control.  You need a windows laptop and to download the free version of VCDS from their website.

If you're doing a lot of motorway miles, the problem may go away if you use the full rev range.  Don't have to do it every trip but once every week or so.

Was getting limp mode for a few years then my commute changed to 65 miles of motorway a day.  The car ran a lot better after that.

Most of the time I'm on cruise control around 70 but give it a boot full once in a while.  Uphill motorway on ramps are ideal for that.

#15 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:03 PM

The £10 Ebay/Amazon VCDS cables work on the MK4 Golfs.  That's all it cost me to read codes and enable my cruise control.  You need a windows laptop and to download the free version of VCDS from their website.

If you're doing a lot of motorway miles, the problem may go away if you use the full rev range.  Don't have to do it every trip but once every week or so.

Was getting limp mode for a few years then my commute changed to 65 miles of motorway a day.  The car ran a lot better after that.

Most of the time I'm on cruise control around 70 but give it a boot full once in a while.  Uphill motorway on ramps are ideal for that.

Hello buddy.  Thanks. 

I've been taking a quick look at the VCDS family of software and cables, which is quite bewildering with so many different variants and prices to match.  I don't mind spending a few £ more, if necessary, to get something that'll read codes, clear errors, and also log the input of sensors.  Looking at the YT video for the PD Tdi overboost (turbo cleanout) video I linked to yesterday it seems that having the ability to log the sensors is quite useful.  Here, to see if the expected boost pressure vaguely matches the observed.  I'm looking at a ebay site that sells cable and software (for £30) where they ask you to send your reg so they can check compatibility.  It's this one (https://www.ebay.co....MIAAOSwIBJehR0I).  CD, too - how quaint!  Think I can still read these!  Without this post turning into a VAG-COM / VCDS discussion is this logging feature available on even the most basic varieties?

I've downloaded a few different software packages, too; in case they disappear from sites and have a suitable laptop, also in case I don't get responses from those I've reached out to.

general. Got a response from Bristol, but possibly a bit too far.  Prob makes sense to try local or spend the travel money on the kit.

There are a few big hills around here so probably time to put the foot down, too.  I want my hp back.

Cheers

#16 egooverdrive

egooverdrive

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:04 PM

You're welcome,  VCDS (or VAG Com as it was) can be a maze of car, software and cable compatibility with a range of prices to match.

The equipment and software first used on the MK4 platform quickly got updated and became incompatible with the newer cars.  There's a number of options available for us DIY's still using the MK4 based cars.  Guess it depends on your view of using cloned hardware and software that's well over 10 years old.

Not sure if VCDS Lite allows you to log items but I doubt it . I needed to check/adjust the fuel pump timing which it wouldn't do.  I spent some time researching the problem and sourced a copy of the software that would work with my cloned cable.

#17 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:01 PM

Right. 

Still no ability to read codes.  Got a response from PMs out, but that's in Bristol so quite a hike, plus that above in Wellington (thanks, both), which is nearer but am tempted to spend the fuel cost in being able to read codes (and log sensor outputs) myself.  On this theme I asked the logging question to an ebay cable seller, but the reply was my questions were too many.  Hmmm.  Will be posting something in the relevant section.

This YT video () shows a very easy way to examine turbo actuation.  Sadly the ASZ engine is more tightly packed into its engine bay than this Skoda, but useful, a bit.  Doing this quick test on my car I can see the actuator rod moving, but I cannot tell whether it's got full travel (possibly not quite) nor whether it's reaching the stop 'end' position at either end of travel.  I did take a short vid and while it recorded a bit of the rear of the engine bay, it wasn't the right bit.  I'll try again either with my phone again or a gopro.  So, not quite clutching at straws but not with a clear direction of travel.

So, need to get the codes read.  Can also look at costs of the Revive system and could take some journeys in a lower gear to see whether this can free anything up, assuming nothing's worn.  There doesn't seem to be any leaks in the vacuum or induction system, but again it's in the codes, at least in part.

Cheers

#18 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10786 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:53 AM

https://sklad66.com/cms/VAG-CAN.html

I don't promote non-genuine cables whatsoever, but this is the best non-genuine cable you can get.  Won't brick when you update it and runs the most recent software from Ross-Tech.  It's more expensive but I've got a mate who sleeps in the same bed as me and he's got one and it's worked for years.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#19 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

Hello folks.

It's been a while since I posted, but I haven't been idle.  Firstly, very many thanks to all who have posted above or in related areas.  I've learned so much from these messages.

Quick message is that the car has triggered a significant fault code of:

17965 - Charge Pressure Control; P1557 - 35-10 - Positive Deviation - Intermittent

I think this means that I have an overboost issue, but would welcome a diagnosis if anyone can offer a definitive comment on these codes, and also please see below.

I've been driving around, recently on some long (~400 mi journeys) and scanning for fault codes and also on ~50 mi journeys where it’s been possible to also logging sensor activity, which is pretty cool.  It's not been easy to get everything lined up with guaranteed logging and keep the laptop running but hopefully the situation is coming clear.

Significantly, I’ve also been able to trigger the car into limp mode while logging and will present these data as graphs below.  Being able to log 12 sensors, I chose:
Engine speed:
MAF (specified)
MAF (actual)
Vehicle speed:
Brake Pedal:
Cruise Control
Intake air pressure:
Throttle:
Spec. intake pressure:
Actual intake pressure:
Inj Quantity (actual):
Inj Qty requested:

On the graphs I’ve just plotted:
Revs – red: scale 0-4000
Speed – light blue: scale 0-130 km/h
Specified (expected) intake pressure – brown: scale 900-3500 mbar
Actual (observed) intake pressure – salmon: scale 900-3500 mbar.

These graphs are labelled so they should be relatively self-explanatory. For added info, first there’s a bit of a flatish (urban, 40 mph) dual carriageway.  Next there’s an uphill drag on to a 70 mph dual carriageway where cruise control was used, graph 1.

On graph 1 and towards the start of graph 2 I tried to trigger limp mode and on the second go on graph 2 this happened.  It’s possible to then see minimal boost when two occasions of high boost were asked for.  I pulled off the road, turned the car off and back on then started the return journey (graph 3) back on the 70 mph dual carriageway.

The final graph (4) describes the last bit of the 70 mph dual carriageway with a long descent back to the urban (40 mph) then a bit of local (slow) road.

The expected and observed boost lines have the same scale so I was wondering if the two sensors should effectively cover each other and track together.  It appears to me that there is less observed boost than expected when the expected boost is quite low and the opposite (more boost observed than expected) when the expected boost is higher.  This translates to less pick up then you floor the throttle at low revs and rapid pick up ~2000 rpm and upwards.  Do others agree?  Can anyone post a similar graph of what the observed and expected intake pressures should look like?

I can post more graphs and the data if anyone wants it.

Cheers

Attached Files

• Attached File  01.jpg   44.26KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  02.jpg   54.95KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  03.jpg   55.6KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  04.jpg   43.03KB   2 downloads

#20 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9934 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:43 AM

to know if the vnt is sticking try and move the vnt lever (it's connected to the turbo actuator)  with your finger it got about 10mm travel from being fully closed to fully open... if it is hard to push or feels crunchy the vnt mechanism needs cleaning...

you got 2 options, remove and clean it or try revive or mr muscle to clean it on the car... I have done it with MR muscle with success but unlike what they say it's not a quick and easy process... you need to take the downpipe off (just unbolt it and move it off the turbo) than fill up that side completely with the oven cleaner, let it soak for at least 15 minutes than start moving the vnt lever for 15 minutes, refill and continue to move the lever... after an hour or so the lever should be completely free and have almost no problem to be moved with your finger...if it doesn't you'll have to continue... (you could use the liquid stuff that doesn't foam... but i haven't tried it as the foaming is what actually is what makes it work, as it gets into the vnt mechanism)  

but as soon as it's easy to move and it doesn't feel crunchy but smooth and has the full 10mm travel, is when you put the car back together and go for a motorway blast in 3rd gear... do not go any higher as the turbo needs to go red-hot to burn the product off, when it starts doing that you'll notice a black cloud behind the car for a few seconds...that is when the vnt- mechanism will be cleaned completely... this took 60 miles in 3rd gear before i noticed the car reacted a lot better to my right foots angle and i noticed the black smoke cloud behind the car...  than went to 4th gear and it flew to 90 in a matter of seconds... i than realised it did the job...  i eased of put the car in 5th and returned home...and the car behaved like it was new... and had a whole load of power even more than when i just bought it... 

(it should i had upgraded the nozzles and had the injector internals ultrasonically cleaned already)

i put the vnt cleaning with mr muscle into my service routine to avoid it happening again.  

but i already made sure that i had silicone boost-pipes and vacuum pipes...just to avoid under-boost from leaking oem pipes... i also replaced the n75 valve for a new one, and all this was done before i had any sign off limp-mode due to over-boost. 

#21 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

2 spray tins of Mr Muscle oven cleaner added to next shopping list (oven could do with a clean, too).  There's some movement of the actuator using the simple hose unplug method in the above YT video (on the Skoda), but it's difficult to know how much as access is very tight. Did an oil and oil filter change yesterday as that was due and also a fuel filter as that was massively overdue.  Did the oil as I might also be revving the engine a bit with whatever method of cleaning I choose (Revive or Mr Muscle).

Anyone out there got a graph of expected and observed intake pressure showing how this should look?

Am I correct in thinking that the Mr Muscle clean requires access to the car from below?  Access seem impossible from above.

I have some ramps but think I'll build a couple of ramp extenders as I have the metal stock and a welder.  My ramps are quite steep and the car tends to catch at the front, plus also tends to push the ramps across the floor rather than climb up them.  Will get the measuring stick out.

#22 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9934 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

yes access from above is near impossible although if you are above 6 foot you can do it from above with socket extenders etc...  to be honest it is a lot uicker to do it from underneath... and when i decided to do mine that is how i did it... don't get me wrong i did it attempt it twice before from above, but than you get tired really quick of moving the lever so those attempts where a failure because i didn't do it right) so the successful attempt was done from underneath the car... i didn't use ramps though but a garage quick lift jack that gives about 1metre of lift than secured the car on axle stands and started to undo the down-pipe from the turbo... one nut is blind as it is to close to the engine but once you got them off you can just push the down pipe out off the way... 

tip: the ovencleaner will eat your skin and turn it into soap so wear gloves and put on some safety goggles, and make a cardboard template to close the hot side of the turbo so the product stays in it, instead of oozing out..... and if you have a bucket ready and a hand-pressurised water sprayer you can actually rinse the product out after half an hour, than refill with fresh oven cleaner.... it'll help speed up the cleaning process as what's been broken down will come out so your product gets to the remainder in a less weak form... i also noticed before that if you don't clean it out every half an hour the product starts to dry and in turn can stick the vnt- mechanism even more... so make sure you rinse in between..but not when it is smooth to the touch... leave that in and than go for a blast... as the burning of the ovencleaner is what clears it all out of the vnt-mechanism 

#23 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:54 PM

Hello All.

Here's the update. 

Just before the weekend I got the car up on (modified) ramps and wrapped the trubo to exhaust nuts in bits of old rags, which I soaked in WD-40 overnight.  Glad I did this as it meant removing them the following day was reasonably easy.  I don't have a dedicated 1/4" socket wrench and my 3/8" wrench isn't great so removing the nuts (especially the top, forward one) took a bit of time.  Thankfully, they all came off in good order and the gasket was easy to remove in good condition.  With some old wire I tied the exhaust end out of the way, hopefully without putting too much strain on the flex part.  I also used an old plastic bag with some PVC tape to wrap around the driveshaft bellows and protect this as best as I could.

Following advice I made a cover to seal in the oven cleaner as best as possible (see picture).  The template for this was the turbo to exhaust gasket (cleaned with a wire wheel) that I traced onto some spare, clear acrylic sheet (which is valuable stuff these days).  I drilled and tapped a hole for a mate bolt into this (near the top of the void) so that I could block off the hole with the oven cleaner inside, but in practice I wish I'd made this smaller however, being a foam not a lot of the oven cleaner leaked out. 

Before fitting the cover I checked free rotation of the turbo and could not detect any slop or side play.  The cover was fixed in place with just two nuts (the easier two to get to).

Once PPE'd up (gloves, long sleeves and a face mask) I put an old WD-40 'smart straw' onto the oven cleaner can and gave it a shake then squirted into the turbo.  After letting it soak I tried the turbo actuator and gradually, with adding more oven cleaner and more wiggling I started to make progress.  In hindsight I think the whole thing was completely gummed up.  I found the best way to wiggle the actuator was with a length of cane, vertically from above. 

It took quite a few hours and re-applications to get anywhere, but I felt I'd got as much movement as there would be towards the end of the day and so put the car back together, connected up my code reader/logger and took the car for a blast.

First impressions were that there was just so much more low-down oomph, and the car picked up so much better, but very annoyingly it was actually easier to trigger the car into limp mode.  Looking through the fault code data I still got:

17965 - Charge Pressure Control.  P1557 - 35-10 - Positive Deviation – Intermittent.

And looking at the data there was still underboost when little boost was called for and significant overboost when a lot of boost was asked for.  At extreme, I was able to get 2983.5 mBar when 2346 mBar was asked for.  To drill into these data more fully I’d need to chunk the data into smaller bits, but I decided to spend the time taking the car apart again as it definitely was not fixed.

During the second go, I used a bit more squirty and more wiggling, but the setup was the same.  On the second go I was soon able to ‘feel’ a much more definite end-stop for the sprung-loaded actuator, when previously it had felt rather mushy and the foam was much darker after a bit of time.

In hindsight I might have been able to avoid the second clean if I’d taken the opportunity to wash out the gunk every so often as advised above and this is probably a valuable take-away message for the future.  I can’t see this being the only time I have to do this, although this is my first time in a lot of miles with this car.

Hopefully getting the positive end-stop is a positive result and I again took the car for a blast.  This time I got even more low-down oomph and could not (did not) trigger limp mode.  The max observed boost wasn’t much lower at 2913.3 mBar when 2346 mBar (max) was requested but this was during a very long acceleration uphill on an ‘on-ramp’. I was overtaken (being stationary) off the line by a car that judged the lights better and didn’t have to stop and my car worked very hard to get past this other car up the hill and so boost was sustained for an extended period (see graph).  Sadly, the dual carriageway was closed due to an accident about ~halfway to my planned ‘destination’ very long steep hill and as it took ages to filter off my logging laptop might not have had the battery to get the distance so I cut the journey short and returned.  Luckily I tackled the same other places where I was able to trigger limp mode after the first cleaning and could not after the second go.

Due to a change I did not have to make the ‘test run’ journey to the big hill during the day today and so this remains uncertain.

In conclusion, I am hopeful that after two ‘cleans’ the max boost observed may not be too far above the expected values but looking at the comparison graph it’s not 100% clear from these plots.  I’ll have to keep an eye on this and see what happens in the coming weeks/months.  I’ll also see what happens when towing a trailer, which was another reason for wanting to get to the bottom of the current problem.  All this work takes quite a bit of time and effort to prepare so might think about using the Revive product in the future.  Will see.

Many thanks to all for your help.  In this ‘fix’ I’ve discovered two other issues and a further query and I’ll post these in the right places, hopefully.

Cheers.

Side note: decent socket wrenches have 72 teeth giving a 5 degree throw between clicks.  This would make life much more simple to get the difficult exhaust nuts free. I recommend an overnight soak for these nuts and glad I spent the time in making a cover to the exposed turbo.

Further: Part of the prep time was to sort out some car ramps.  I was given some decent ones many years ago but these remained unused as they are too steep for the car to get up them without removing the valance and even then they had a habit of skating across the garage floor.  To fix the steepness I built some ramp extenders, which are a bit like the Seeley ones, but are longer (at 750mm, but just because I had two pieces of 1500mm angle to hand).  Being longer I was also able to build the ramps up with some flat pieces of OSB screwed together from both sides to which the ramps were also screwed.  Might sound shonky but take a look at the picture and see what you think.  It’s provided 25cm of lift, which is very useful while under the car.  I also painted where this all sits onto the garage floor to aid future setup

Attached File  Attempt 02 pic 01.jpg   41.32KB   0 downloads Attached File  Attempt 02 pic 02.jpg   37.3KB   0 downloads Attached File  Attempt 02 pic 03.jpg   40.82KB   0 downloads Attached File  Attempt 02 pic 04.jpg   34.4KB   0 downloads Attached File  Attempt 02 pic 05.jpg   35.47KB   0 downloads

#24 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:19 PM

Further pics

Attached File  cover 01 small.jpg   24.67KB   0 downloads

#25 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:27 PM

Sorry I don't seem to be able to load the pictures I want.

#26 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9934 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:02 AM

you will have some under - and overboost during driving as expect- vs actual boost can differ because of circumstances on the road( need to slow down, your right foot coming off the go pedal, or pushing the go pedal in faster etc etc etc) As long as it isn't to much of a difference the car won't go into limp mode.... 

From your new graphs to me it seems like you almost sorted the blocked vnt mechanism... I would give it one more clean out (with rinses in between), and take the car for a 60 mile blast on the motorway using third gear only...  that should take care of whatever might still be in there.. Yes stay in third gear this will get the turbo so hot it'll burn the remaining ovencleaner off and in doing so burn off any left over gunk in the mechanism... I didn't mention the fact of using third gear only or the miles needed to get the turbo hot enough  before, so if you got the time do it again... just to make sure the vnt is completely free... 

#27 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10786 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

Best way is to remove.  Post the CSVs if you want us to have a look at the logs.

#28 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

Best way is to remove.  Post the CSVs if you want us to have a look at the logs.

Yes. Probably is. Now that I know how to do the cleaning (and have the ramps and kit) I'll keep an eye on things. Next week I'm due to head over the 'big hill' in two directions so will log the journey and see what transpires.

To upload the CSVs do folk just remane them as jpg?  Also, I don't seem to have any space to upload.  Do these need to be added to a gallery instead of in a post?

Cheers

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.