Kit for viewing and clearing codes and logging sensors - VAG Diagnostic Software Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

Kit for viewing and clearing codes and logging sensors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:31 PM

Hello folks.

Am in a bit of a flat spin regarding exactly what I need to view codes, clear errors and log sensor outputs.  I've got a bowl full of alphabetti spaghetti names following a trip across the internet and costs seem to vary between £10 and £300 so am a bit confused.

If you have seen my post about in intermittent drop in power on a MkIV TDI PD130 (ASZ), the advice from the forum strongly suggests getting the codes read to detect errors and furthermore I'd like to log sensors to examine the observed turbo boost pressure against expected values to look at whether the car might be suffering from either overboost or underboost that's initiating the intermittent 'limp' mode.  I've had a couple of kind offers from a bit of a journey away (couple of hours drive each way) and while very grateful for these offers am wondering whether i'd be better spending the fuel money on some kit for myself?

Beyond this, having read a few of the other posts on this particular section of the forum I might have also got a few things to look up with doors, locks, windows and servicing, too.  And these are only the ones I know about.  It would be good to investigate these, too.

I have a W10 laptop, what else do I need, please?  Can anyone offer specific recommendations to follow up?  I've sent a couple of messages to some sellers, but only had one response so far, which was that my questions were 'too difficult'.  Happy to receive PMs if that's easier.  Alternatively does anyone have kit they no longer need that would work on my car, and maybe have some utility for other models, too, but that's much less of an issue?

Cheers.

#2 mur3633

mur3633

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Podgorica, Montenegro
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:46 AM

VCDS is what you need.
It doesn't have to be genuine.

#3 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:55 AM

Don't get the cheapest of cables from eBay.  They only work with a fixed version, you need to run without internet access or it'll brick and generally they're a bit ropey.

As discussed on the other post, https://sklad66.com/cms/VAG-CAN.html is the best non-genuine one you can buy.  It's more expensive but it doesn't shoot the bed when you update it.  In fact, it keeps working.  Just as you'd expect.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#4 02-MkIV-ASZ

02-MkIV-ASZ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:06 AM

Cheers.  Will show update on my main question

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.