MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Spain
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:54 AM

Goodmorning UK-MKIVs!

Am new to the forums, been lurking on VWvortex for ages but decided to come here to see whats up. 

Quick car background, it has a 

-Forge TIP

-Forge 008 DV

-DarksideDevelopements FMIC

-eBay 3 inch downpipe

-Ramair Intake

-N249, N112, SAI, EGR, PCV delete

I am planning to go stage 2 on the Golf and I need a new exhaust system! Current choices are Milltek and Cobra however I am leaning more towards Milltek as they advertise their systems as a 3 inch while Cobra advertise 2.5 inch. 

Here comes my question, Is Milltek really 3 inch?? I have seen some controversy and debate online and on YouTube saying that it's actually 2.75 inch (or something along those lines) however could someone chime in?

Cheers guys,

Milt

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:10 AM

the downpipe is 3 inch than it steps back because to 2.75 inch overall it is still bigger than the 2.5 inch system and to be honest the gain is found in the downpipe... but they choose the 2.75 inch diameter for the rest as it seems to help the gasses move out faster... a quick look on Youtube from independent tuners on RR's will show you the gains to be had with a 3 inch downpipe and 2.75 inch system vs 2.5 inch downpipe and system.
so if you want something that you won't need to change soon again i would go for Miltek. especially if you plan on upgrading the turbo later on down the line.

The only bad things I read about Miltek is sometimes the parts arrive with damage... i think that is from bad package handling... but for the money they charge their parts should be damage free. For instance I just replaced a downpipe with cat on my daily... the pipe was cheap but it was completely damage free no scratches or anything like that. And that pipe is just an aftermarket oem replacement (bigger diameter all-round though and no my daily isn't a VW) that is 1/3 of the price for the oem part. Yet it has a bigger diameter overall and a bigger cat... win win win.

Packaging was done that well that the pipe didn't move in the box. Something that Miltek sometimes lacks to do and therefor stuff can get damaged in transit, if it has damage I would sent it back

#3 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:00 PM

And Miltek don't use stainless wire and the welds rust.  The China systems are just as soon and are 3" the whole way.

• northpole likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.