SDiOnePointNine

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Bedford UK
  • Golf IV SDI 1.9 AQM 68PS

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

Hi

People with electric mirrors - is it possible to move the mirror glass manually if the electrics fail?

Reason I ask is Ive had my drivers door card off in a misguided attempt to fix the courtesy light and the long and the short is Ive ended up with the manual adjust for the wing mirror not connected.  I thought this would not be a problem as I could just open the window and move the glass around with my hand BUT, it appears that its the tension on the 3 cables that connect with the little joystick are what hold the mirror in place so it now wont hold position.  So Im thinking of replacing it with an electric mirror (theyre not that much more expensive but leaving the electrics unconnected and adjusting the glass by hand.  Just not sure if the mirror is moveable by hand or if its too highly geared/stiff.

TIA

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

Pretty sure I've accidentally moved my electric mirror glass by hand when I was a bit heavy handed while cleaning the car. I'm 95% sure you can.

But since you've got to take the door card off to swap the mirror, would it not be easier to sort the one you've got? Or at least swap like for like.

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9833 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:06 AM

what he said

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.