JordanMK4Rookie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Co.Durham
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

So firstly,

Hello im Jordan, I own a Mk5 Golf GTTDI 2.0 with the BKD engine if that makes any diffence.

I am currently experiencing some issues regarding my whole cooling system. I will list below what issues i am having what i have done to try and resolve these problems.

So here goes:

Issue number 1- When i am driving the coolant low light flashes until the car reaches operating temp which i then have to pull over shut the engine off then restart it to clear the light (there is coolant in the system but it does not return to expansion bottle-Next issue). i have tries to fix this by replacing the expansion bottle and cap still no fix.

Issue number 2- When i remove the expansion bottle cap (Engine hot or cold) back pressure of air pushes all the collant back up through the to the bottle.

Issue number 3- There is absolutly no hot air in the cabin of the car ever. i have replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensors at this point. still no fix as of yet.

I am really stuck as to what to try next. i have had the cylinder head tested for any leaks etc. but it has come back fine (i had this done as the Early BKD engines had "pourus Cylinder Heads". I later found out i have the Revison C head). I am told the waterpump could be faulty but i want to try find out a definate solution before i start putting money into replacemnt parts that dont need to be replaced. Is there anyway to test the waterpump ? I have access to Vag-Com which i will upload any fault codes i get from it onto here in the next 24 hours.

Basically long story short i need some advice on what to do next. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Many thanks
Jordan

#2 TdiBlacky

TdiBlacky

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:27 AM

To test the water pump, see if coolant is being returned to the expansion bottle with the lid off and engine running. You can pull the hose off the bottle and let the hose flow back into the bottle to see it flowing more easily.

Had you worked on the coolant system, could be air locked if no heat, etc,,, 

Any leaks anywhere?

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:36 AM

another thing to do is to disconnect the coolant hoses to the interior heater and back flush them out (just in-case it is blocked)  

#4 JordanMK4Rookie

JordanMK4Rookie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Co.Durham

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

To test the water pump, see if coolant is being returned to the expansion bottle with the lid off and engine running. You can pull the hose off the bottle and let the hose flow back into the bottle to see it flowing more easily.
Had you worked on the coolant system, could be air locked if no heat, etc,,,
Any leaks anywhere?

No leaks present I'll make sure I check that hose for a return. Fingers crossed thank you for the reply

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

#5 JordanMK4Rookie

JordanMK4Rookie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Co.Durham

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

another thing to do is to disconnect the coolant hoses to the interior heater and back flush them out (just in-case it is blocked)

I assume these are the two pipes going from the rear of the engine into the cabin? Thanks

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:38 AM

I assume these are the two pipes going from the rear of the engine into the cabin? Thanks

Yes

#7 dervdave

dervdave

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • UK
  • Other Models

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:28 PM

Sorry to say but my oldest daughter had an 05 BKD engined Touran with the same symptoms, tried all the usual attempts at fixing it (thermostat, rad, cap, heater, pipes, etc) but had to sell it as the next step would`ve been the head.

Edited by dervdave, 28 September 2020 - 05:29 PM.

Golf Mk4 GTTDI (sold) Golf Mk5 GTTDI 4Motion (sold)

Golf Mk6 GTD (sold)..... Golf Mk7 GTD  :wub:

#8 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:45 AM

Sorry to say but my oldest daughter had an 05 BKD engined Touran with the same symptoms, tried all the usual attempts at fixing it (thermostat, rad, cap, heater, pipes, etc) but had to sell it as the next step would`ve been the head.

It all depends where you get you replacement from...  i would rather get a younger BKD engine and drop that in if it is the head than just sell the car with a problem like this, because it basically turns it into a spares or repairs that isn't worth much.

#9 JordanMK4Rookie

JordanMK4Rookie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Co.Durham

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

Update: most of yesterday I was cleaning pipes out and removing the air lock and managed to get my coolant circulating again. Now for the next issue. I have coolant leaking from the rear of my engine but it only leaks when the car is stationary at operating temp (around 90°). Does any of you guys know where it could be coming from? Thanks again you have all been a massive help

#10 TdiBlacky

TdiBlacky

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

Rear of the engine could be the cabin heater hoses or the egr water cooler is at the back right of the engine as you stand looking at it.

Also at the right side of the engine I think is a plastic junction where some little coolant rubber pipes connect on and the other coolant sensor is locating in this plastic flange piece too if I remember correctly.

Has this only starter leaking since you put everything back together after cleaning / checking pipes or do you reckon this might have been the original issue?

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.