stuweep

Guttersnipe

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Isle of Man
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

Okay chaps, let me try and phrase this without sounding like a total cowboy/cheapskate/bodger.

1999 Mk4, and the door card seals have well and truly expired. Despite several attempts to seal them up, water is still pouring in.

The carpet and underlay have been binned because they were totally rotten, and I've been relying on a large syringe to remove the water from the bare floorpan every morning after it rains. The car is parked facing downhill every night so it always pools at the very front of the footwells.

We've all seen that African TopGear where a .303 bullet is used to drain theirs...

So I want a drain hole going through the floorpan in each footwell. I'd simply drill one but am slightly concerned about it whistling at driving speeds, and rusting.

Are there any proper products out there for this? Preferably some kind of drain plug which can be properly sealed in place to prevent rusting around the edges, but still be operated quickly from the top.

Surely the offroad crowd must have a similar problem.

x

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

There's already drain holes in the floor, sealed up by bungs/plugs. Remove them and put them back after.

#3 stuweep

stuweep

Guttersnipe

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Isle of Man
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

The problem is that they're not where its pooling, and are nicely sealed in place so I don't really want to disturb them.

Would much rather something quick and easy to use (if it existed)

#4 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50114 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:38 AM

https://www.ebay.co....CLK|clp:2334524

#5 egooverdrive

egooverdrive

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

How about a sink plug on a chain?

Or maybe have another go at the door seals.  My passenger door was leaking after replacing the lock a few months ago.

It kept leaking despite taking it apart again and using a double layer of butyl tape.  I then guessed that I'd bent the metal panel since it had been resealed a number of times over the years and took some force to remove.

I hit around the edges with a rubber mallet and it hasn't leaked since.

2003 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI 110 ASV

#6 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:13 PM

Butyl tape didn't work very well for me, I went with silicone bathroom sealant instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.