MkIVTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Wales, UK
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:30 AM

Hi all,

I have a problem with my ESP - to put it simply it's totally dead. 

Ever since I have owned the car, it's never worked. It does not cut in when the car slips and spins (no light flashing on the dash either). On top of this, holding down the ESP button to turn it on/off does nothing, and when I start the car the ESP light does not come on in the gauge cluster either. It's as if there is no power going to it at all. The ABS light comes on and the ABS cuts in fine though.

I have checked the ABS/ESP fuse in the fuse box on the drivers side and it was fine. I also checked the fuses on top of the battery as well and they all looked fine. Any thoughts? I did try and see if there were any fault codes with my OBD II reader however it doesn't seem to want to connect to the car (I'm told Mk4s are fussy about generic OBD readers).

52 Plate GT TDI (ASZ). Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

Someone might've blocked over the light in the cluster. The car could have a faulty brake pressure sensor in the ABS pump, which would make the ESP light be on permanently but not affect the ABS - which obviously won't be visible if someone's blocked it over. A scan with VCDS of the ABS module should be able to tell you if this is the case.

Have you checked if the switch is actually connected? Could be that the car just doesn't have ESP and someone's put a switch in for whatever unknown reason. The brake MC is different between ESP and non ESP cars so that should help to tell if your car does actually have ESP.

#3 MkIVTDI

MkIVTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Wales, UK

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for your reply.

The switch is definitely connected, and being a 52 plate 130 GT TDI they all had ESP didn't they? 

You could be right in that someone has covered the light over then - as I say though my OBD reader won't connect to the car so will see if anyone I know has VCDS/VAGCOM that I can use to find out for sure. I did spend hours looking online for a solution or a lead on what it could be but couldn't find one.

Many thanks.

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:06 PM

If you can't find anyone with it, you can buy a KKL lead for under a tenner on eBay and that should do it.

#5 MkIVTDI

MkIVTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Wales, UK

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:21 PM

Hi, so, an update...

Plugged it in, no ABS or ESP fault codes at all. The only fault code was "01314 Engine Control Module: No Communications." Cleared this code and it has not returned since so I doubt that has anything to do with the problem?

Keep running diagnostics on it but there are no fault codes at all coming up and all the ABS sensors and the steering angle sensor are good. The ESP like has NOT been blanked over. I also checked Live Data and went into the warning lights and the ESP light was reporting as off (even when holding down the ESP button to turn it off).

So, now I'm totally stumped... to summarise: ABS working perfectly, but the traction control isn't and it just spins for fun, no ESP light on startup, no flashing when it spins and no light when holding down the switch to turn it off, not a single code or issue on the diagnostics, and also know for definite that the light hasn't been blanked off. Have checked all the fuses on top of the battery and have checked every single fuse in the fusebox. The ESP switch on the dashboard is backlit and all the contacts and the wiring loom behind it seem fine. What next?

It's just as if it's totally dead or has been mapped out...? I've spoken to a couple of local garages who also said they have no idea whatsoever.

#6 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10786 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

What is the ABS soft coding?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#7 MkIVTDI

MkIVTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Wales, UK

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

Ooof... no idea about any of that! My knowledge with using VCDS and coding etc is limited! How do I go about that?

#8 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50129 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:04 PM

If you have a legitimate copy of VCDS there might be a long coding helper that will take you through all the possible options for that unit (older cars didn't always have the helper).Sometimes they 'forget' their coding and just need to be enabled again.

Do a Google search for the Ross Tech wiki,it tells you how on there.

#9 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10786 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:29 PM

MK4 never had long coding helper. 

Possibly PO disabled ESP through ABS coding.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#10 MkIVTDI

MkIVTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Wales, UK

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:00 PM

Like I say, I don't have much knowledge of coding or using VAG-COM/VCDS with this being my first VW... but I've found this so am going to have a look tomorrow and see - https://uk-mkivs.net...d-6-speed-cars/. This is my only lead though, if it hasn't been defeated like this then I'm totally stumped!

I know it's not majorly important but working ESP would be a really nice 'to have' though as I live in the middle of nowhere and getting out of my village involves lots of sharp junctions on steep hills so as you can imagine, even driving it carefully it just LOVES to spin...

#11 MkIVTDI

MkIVTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Wales, UK

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

I've checked the Soft Code and it was 0019970, which I believe is the default?

I'm now also getting the code: 01314 - Engine Control Module, 013 - Check DTC Memory?

#12 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:09 AM

013 - Check DTC Memory

Just means that the ECU has written a fault to its memory. The soft code gives you a clue to what it might be about.

Normally associated with the ABS.

01314 - Engine Control Module

Something has been coded out by the sounds of it. Should be able to code it back in but I wouldn't know where to look for your car. The link below is for the mk4 r32 but don't know if you'd be able to reprogramme it back:

https://forums.vwvor...2-for-track-use

#13 MkIVTDI

MkIVTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Wales, UK

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

So... as it turned out, it was two separate very small problems!

It was a mixture of a damaged SMD and a small split in one of the cables that goes from the alternator and AC compressor clutch to somewhere under the battery (and presumably off up to the ECU). Soldered the wire back together and shrink wrapped it, then went and cleared the code and voila, TC is now kicking in and working. Just waiting on some replacement SMDs in the post - will solder a replacement SMD into position and then there will be a working ESP light.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.