whats the highest capacity, most reliable battery you can use in mk4? - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo

whats the highest capacity, most reliable battery you can use in mk4?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:09 PM

I'm doing amazon flex delivery with my golf. Effectively multidrop delivery, I want to ensure that I never hgave a dead battery, amazon tends to be higher mileage than other delivery work.

I'm just wondering what's the highest AH battery you can fit into mk4 golf?

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

Not sure on the exact book capacities, but you can fit a larger battery than standard if you get a diesel battery tray/box and battery fit for a mk4 diesel. Petrol one is smaller.

Bosch do a 77ah type 096 battery which would fit the diesel tray. Can't confirm if you can go any bigger, someone else might be able to though.

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:16 AM

I ran a 110AH battery on my diesel and it just about fitted in the battery-box, I did upgrade my battery-box to that of a PD130 and i had to modify the internals (shave some of the plastic off on the inside) to make it fit...  but i also upgraded the alternator to a 110AH one 

#4 Bandit127

Bandit127

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Southampton
  • Golf VI SE TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

You could also monitor the level of charge in your battery. Voltage drops in proportion to % charge, once it gets below 30% you could give it an overnight charge.

Battery-state-of-charge-for-Wet-and-AGM.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.