DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:52 AM

I had been having slight issues with the car on and off since early February. I can't believe the garage I used to use managed not to spot the state it was in until I told them about the compression readings taken in July. They took the car back in August but their 'fixes' lasted less than a few days from it being returned! (Yeah, anyone can make an engine light disappear if the car just sits around for 2 weeks.) After much frustration with their useless advice, I gave in and took the car to the local VW dealership, who have actually just got their hands dirty. 

Off with it's head!

6 Black pistons

Needs a clean

Work done:

1. Replaced valves, pistons, timing chains, guides, head gasket, seals, ignition plugs, spark plugs, oil sump, engine oil, rod bearings, piston rings, coolant, gearbox oil, brake fluid, EVAP system and power steering fluid.
  2. Cleaned up starter motor, engine block, cylinder head, intake manifold and all mating surfaces.

Still looking lovely:

Clutch, gearbox, cylinder head, con rods, cam shafts and underside of car.

Gearbox & clutch

Rustproofing

Cost:

That's between me, the solicitor and PW Motorsport.

I've now reached a point where I can finally say in a week, the car will be all back together again with an MOT! Hoping it'll be the equivalent of turning the year off and on again. 

• The_Moose and northpole like this

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:06 AM

I don't know how old your car is but at a certain point those things need to be done... you don't have to tell me how expensive that is going to be but i know the parts alone will set you back at least 2k pounds( and that's if they give you the parts at a discount) It took me around 2  weeks to do it myself but i also bored out the cylinders and ended up with a 3.0 vr6 engine (with all the parts upgraded so some of my costs weren't even at the dealer)  add the price of their garage costs and the bill will be so much that you could have easily bought an r32 with no problems mate... 

that said I love the fact you are keeping it on the road most people would've given up.  

#3 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • West Sussex

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:49 PM

and here was me thinking I loved my 4mo, top job getting it back how it should be and keeping it on the road. Here's to that v6 warble  :Y:

#4 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Wales

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:49 PM

I don't know how old your car is but at a certain point those things need to be done... you don't have to tell me how expensive that is going to be but i know the parts alone will set you back at least 2k pounds( and that's if they give you the parts at a discount) It took me around 2  weeks to do it myself but i also bored out the cylinders and ended up with a 3.0 vr6 engine (with all the parts upgraded so some of my costs weren't even at the dealer)  add the price of their garage costs and the bill will be so much that you could have easily bought an r32 with no problems mate... 

that said I love the fact you are keeping it on the road most people would've given up.  

Thanks  :D  :Y: I did nearly give up on it. But my head got the better of me when I remembered just how many people would have liked to get hold of it for next to nothing and thought f**k 'em as the key and car went to the dealers. 

But yeah, there are a few obvious parts to replace & check before putting the engine back together as it would be a waste otherwise having to get the engine out again. Gearbox has been cracked open to find that all is looking lovely and all the timing gear has been replaced. Had I known it was gonna take this long, I would have sent the front bumper in for a respray. That will have to wait until the new year now and I'll get it done when the wheels are being redone.

• northpole likes this

#5 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Wales

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:51 PM

and here was me thinking I loved my 4mo, top job getting it back how it should be and keeping it on the road. Here's to that v6 warble  :Y:

I likes a good warble.  B) Better than that farty nonsense cars have now. Just makes me want to stick a potato up it's chuff pipe!  :whistle:

• northpole likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.