#1 arnie1

arnie1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Blackpool
  • Golf V Sport 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:06 AM

I'm guessing that I am not the first person this has happened too and there are probably previous entries on this subject but I went to my car yesterday and the boot lid won't open with the buttons on the key. Is this an easy fix, could it be something to do with the battery in the key?

Thanks in advance

Arnie

I have changed the battery and it hasn't helped. I have managed to get the boot lid open from the inside but when I close it again I still cannot open it from outside using the key, any thoughts?

Thanks

#2 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

Open the bootlid again and take the black moulded panel off. There is a little off-white coloured box of tricks with a piece of metal sticking out of it attached to part of the mechanism.

519wwyZBPdL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Don't close the boot lid. Try locking and unlocking the car to hear if this is making a noise and moving the metal piece. If it isn't, it may be broken. Squirt loads of wd40 on the metal piece where it connects to the actuator. Move it up and down to see if it will unstick it. Sometimes that fixes it.

#3 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:33 AM

exact same situation, in my case the wires on the top right side of the boot lid have sheared off. I'm doing amazon flex with my golf and it's taking it's toll on my car. Opening and closing the boot hatch god knows how many times in a day.

Fear not, it is possible to release the lock with the boot closed.

@DerPanzerWagen is right, that white door lock solenoid has locked the boot door, in my case the cable snapped precisely after the solenoid locked the door.

You will need to remove the internal cover of the boot hatch and unlock the boot by moving the black feet up/down. The white solenoid works independantly to the manual door lock with key.

BmacVAGs has a good video on it. I couldn't take mine off without damaging some of the connecting bits of the trim though YMMV

Tip you can get the rear seats to lay flat by pulling the seat base and position it into the footwell.

Edit: NVM I realised you figured out how to open the car. I'll leave the video and comments up there anyway in case someone else needs it. But do check the wires on the boot hinge. make sure thjey are sound. Could be possible that the wire has broken but still intermittently working because they're still in position and making some contact.

#4 arnie1

arnie1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Blackpool
  • Golf V Sport 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for your help Guys,

I will have a go this weekend so watch this space!!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.