Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:16 PM

I know you shouldn't just change sensors without correctly diagnosing but it seems that mechanics do the same anyway and then charge you for the privelage. I just read on here that someone had oil pressure warning and took it to a mechanic, billed him £150 to take off the sump, replace the oil pickup and the problem still persists. One of the reasons why I hesitate taking cars to the mechanic because I know they'll take me down a rabbit hole, invoice me for it and then take 2-3 attempts to get to the issue.

Anyway rant over.

I changed the pre cat oxygen sensor, was having fuel economy issues and thought why not (get 280 miles on full to red, London driving). After changing it, I did a 4 mile drive to my mums house and got the oil pressure warning (thankfully it was just before I was about to park anyway).

I check the oil, it was on the low end of the min/max marker, but not below the threshold. I topped it up and I have started the car today and run around the block a few times but the oil pressure warning does not come on. But I don't trust the car yet - hate to go on a long trip and the oil pressure to come on.

I didn't use VAGCOM to reset the data after changing the o2 sensor, I thought I'd just let it recalibrate by itself, could the o2 sensor change cause other errors to get thrown up?

#2 Aaronb1985

Aaronb1985

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Lancing West Sussex
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

Being a mechanic myself I would be using the stock oil pressure sender port to fit an external gauge to physically check the oil pressure. The pump itself is not technically speaking responsible for creating oil pressure, all it does is move volume. The pressure is created by forcing this volume through the tight tolerances of the engine oil galleries. That being said a blocked strainer and/or knackered oil pump would result in low pressure. The stock sensor is very basic and will only be responsible or extinguishing the light when the pressure reaches around 1 bar. Is there any other symptoms to speak of? Ie noises, rattles or anything out if the ordinary? Do you have access to an oil pressure gauge you can fit and check it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • gerrywac likes this

#3 Aaronb1985

Aaronb1985

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Lancing West Sussex

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:30 PM

Your oil pressure will be at it highest when cold so try letting the oil warm at idle and see if the oil warning comes on once warmed up? if it does come on give it the smallest amount of rev ups like 1200rpm and hold it for a second to see if it goes out. If not shut it down and get the oil pressure checked manually. HOPEFULLY you’re just looking at a failed oil pressure switch.

#4 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

thanks for the thoughtful response, ill take it to a trusty mechanic and ask them to check the oil pressure. is it possible to read the oil pressure recorded by the sensor via obd with any scan tools? i have torque lite on my phone and thers no readout for oil pressure.

watched ericthecarguy video which basically says what you just explained, the engine is basically at the end of its life if oil pressure is actually low and not due to dud probe.

#5 Aaronb1985

Aaronb1985

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Lancing West Sussex

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:42 PM

Unfortunately the stock oil sensor isn’t actually a ‘sensor’ it’s just a switch that turns the light out when the predetermined pressure is reached, it doesn’t provide a pressure readout unfortunately. The only way is to tap in to the gallery via the filter housing with the appropriate equipment.

#6 Aaronb1985

Aaronb1985

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Lancing West Sussex

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:50 PM

thanks for the thoughtful response, ill take it to a trusty mechanic and ask them to check the oil pressure. is it possible to read the oil pressure recorded by the sensor via obd with any scan tools? i have torque lite on my phone and thers no readout for oil pressure.

watched ericthecarguy video which basically says what you just explained, the engine is basically at the end of its life if oil pressure is actually low and not due to dud probe.

I opted for this setup that provides me with the temperature and pressure of the oil in real-time from independent sensors located in the oil pan and filter housing respectively
9ea94724700eee7659a598f26c42cae3.jpg

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10786 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:36 PM

Being a mechanic myself I would be using the stock oil pressure sender port to fit an external gauge to physically check the oil pressure. The pump itself is not technically speaking responsible for creating oil pressure, all it does is move volume. The pressure is created by forcing this volume through the tight tolerances of the engine oil galleries. That being said a blocked strainer and/or knackered oil pump would result in low pressure. The stock sensor is very basic and will only be responsible or extinguishing the light when the pressure reaches around 1 bar. Is there any other symptoms to speak of? Ie noises, rattles or anything out if the ordinary? Do you have access to an oil pressure gauge you can fit and check it?

Solid reply with everything you need to know.  Measure actual pressure.  280 miles to a tank is good, IMO.  

• gerrywac likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#8 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:49 AM

I topped the oil to the top of the dipstock it touches the max bend when the oil is warm and it hasnt given me any oil pressure warnings (changed out the oil pressure switch just in case it's gone bad - only £8). The oil was low, it was at the min line. so maybe it was due to low oil.

My oil level sensor isn't working, so the oil was able to get so low and trigger a low pressure warning.

I will get a mechanic to do a pressure test and give me an idea of the condition of it, I have driven the car over 100 miles since, without oil pressure warnings.

The car is a amazon flex delivery vehicle, it's not my pride and joy any more so I'm not going to bother fitting any oil pressure/temperature guages on it. Since it's being used as a delivery vehicle I'm putting 1200 miles in the car every month so I managed to burn off so much oil without realising.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.