#1 metalc4mp

metalc4mp

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • UK
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

Any ideas on this question? I'm looking forward to get a new car and I saw that you can get a Mk6 Jetta (1.6 TDI, 105kW) for around 6-8k pounds. The price seems reasonable to me for a 2012 car, which is also a bit larger and looks good. I'm also rarely see any Jetta's on the road which seems odd, I'd think more people would pick up on such car for that price.

Is anyone here an owner of Mk6 Jetta or knows anyone? Thoughts and tips apprieciated!  :D

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9934 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

because even though they are bigger they come with the restrictions of the bodytype, read less usable space, the hatchback (Golf) can carry more luggage) with the same amount of people and is way more practical, it is one of the reasons you see more hatchbacks and estates than saloons running around...and because they are less desirable they are a bit cheaper used... but a new one is almost as expensive as the hatchback... so basically the value on them drops faster, and because they are less in demand the price is lower...  also the insurance on them is lower, because there are less of them running around. 

that is all nothing else, same story with a passat saloon being cheaper than a passat hatchback or estate, the CC though is another story... they are equally as expensive as the estate and hatchback (go figure)  

#3 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:50 AM

We owned the Mk5 shaped Jetta a few years ago.

It was much cheaper to buy compared to the same model spec age Mk5 golf.

The boot was absolutely huge compared to the golf , and I believe it looked much nicer than a golf too as the panels have sharper lines .

Everything else underneath was just the same as a Mk5 golf as they are the same floor pan.

Jettas have never really sold very well compared to golfs. But hey, they are the same car but with a boot, so if it suits your needs then go for it.

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#4 metalc4mp

metalc4mp

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • UK
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for these insights. It'd be harder to find spare parts if I needed them yeah.

Also northpole you caught my interest, whats the story with CC? :)

#5 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

Harder to find parts in scrap yards maybe. But they aren't quite scrap yard cars

#6 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9934 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for these insights. It'd be harder to find spare parts if I needed them yeah.

Also northpole you caught my interest, whats the story with CC? :)

not really the platform is mostly the same as the golf mk6 meaning parts are interchangeable... but there are minute differences in interior stuff and sometimes even in the body-panels (not always though).but running gear (engines and suspension) are interchangeable. 

About the Passat CC,  they are more expensive than the hatchback, estate, and the saloon version when new plus they are wanted because they are the best looking of the bunch... this keeps their depreciation down as the demand for them is higher...  also they are branded luxury so the insurance on them is higher than the rest of the Passat range. 

#7 Burgy

Burgy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GT FSI 2.0 150PS

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:36 AM

I have been looking at the Jetta as well, the only downside is that there aren't many with decent options and on Autotrader only 7 petrol versions. None with leather, heated seats etc

#8 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

I have been looking at the Jetta as well, the only downside is that there aren't many with decent options and on Autotrader only 7 petrol versions. None with leather, heated seats etc

Yep.

Sales failure, hence they pulled it I believe.

I really loved our Mk5 version when we had it. Apart from the clonky dsg and troublesome pd140 bkd engine , it was a nice family car . Frugal , fast, looked nice, good space, good ride

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.