21 replies to this topic

#1 golf_driver84

golf_driver84

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:34 PM

Was thinking about this the other day. I am seeing a lot less Mk4 golfs on the road these days.

Thats obviously not surprising given their age but it really seems to have dropped sharply over the last year or two. Anybody else noticed this near them?

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

Personally I think it's been a lot more than just last yr or 2. Probably last 5 years.

Occasionally see the small wheeled tdi's plodding on the motorway , and it makes me smile because they are great cars in that guise. Frugal, comfy and plenty fast enough.

Don't ever see any gti's ever. 1.8t's used to be everywhere .

R32s only ever see them at VW meets. And them ones always have the loudest most obnoxious exhaust pipes

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:49 AM

around my area there is at least one on every street, granted most are either the slow petrol versions or the tdi's, but i see loads of them, about 5 years ago i saw even more but i noticed that the amount of GTI's and R32's has shrunk considerably... there are actually 3 mk4 r32's running around and they are all in pristine condition a blue one, a silver one and a black one. The black one is my favourite of them it has been modified ever so carefully and if you wouldn't know, you wouldn't even noticed the differences  with an oem model. the other two are clearly modified, look nice but the black one is the best of the bunch.. the GTI's i see are seriously modified and most of them have bloody loud  and really annoying exhausts... (never liked a 4 pot loud exhaust, it just sounds to hollow) 

#4 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

Nope! All in use around these parts. Mostly TDi of the 110 variety but you get the odd pd130. The pd150 and r32 are mega rare though. Quite a few v5 and v6 going around the local area. 

#5 McPikie

McPikie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:52 AM

Having joined a few Mk4 owners Faceache pages, it's not suprising. If someone needs new brake discs it seems to be a reason to brake the full car. Guess it means decent ones are being saved by enthusiasts.

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

Yeah that is exactly what is happening around my area either fixed to almost showroom status or will be broken for parts as soon as it fails MOT... but because of the high volume available of the mk4 they are still going strong...  when ever i see a nice one though i want another one.... but they are money pits so not getting a mk4 ever again even though i get tempted quite often as most of the times i see them for sale and all they need is new shocks and springs, but wait a few weeks and it is being broken as no one wanted to pay the asking price or offer anything near it. 

#7 golf_driver84

golf_driver84

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:54 PM

around my area there is at least one on every street, granted most are either the slow petrol versions or the tdi's, but i see loads of them, about 5 years ago i saw even more but i noticed that the amount of GTI's and R32's has shrunk considerably... there are actually 3 mk4 r32's running around and they are all in pristine condition a blue one, a silver one and a black one. The black one is my favourite of them it has been modified ever so carefully and if you wouldn't know, you wouldn't even noticed the differences  with an oem model. the other two are clearly modified, look nice but the black one is the best of the bunch.. the GTI's i see are seriously modified and most of them have bloody loud  and really annoying exhausts... (never liked a 4 pot loud exhaust, it just sounds to hollow) 

Mine is one of those with a bloody loud exhaust but not by design. Either there is a bloody large hole somewhere or the cats been nicked. Have to admit I like the sound, its like a burbling V8.

I cannot slide under it so will see what the verdict is at the next MOT.

#8 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

Mine is one of those with a bloody loud exhaust but not by design. Either there is a bloody large hole somewhere or the cats been nicked. Have to admit I like the sound, its like a burbling V8.

I cannot slide under it so will see what the verdict is at the next MOT.

you must have either a seriously big hole or the exhaust manifold has come loose... and if it is the exhaust manifold that has come loose you'll notice a drop in power... either way you should sort it out asap, because at MOT time they'll just replace whatever is wrong at extortionate prices aka they'll get you the part than add 100% mark-up on top of it, and than charge you for the time spend sorting it out... 

apart from that you really don't want to be driving around like that in my area, the first copper to hear it will pull you over and fine you for noise pollution!    

#9 golf_driver84

golf_driver84

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

you must have either a seriously big hole or the exhaust manifold has come loose... and if it is the exhaust manifold that has come loose you'll notice a drop in power... either way you should sort it out asap, because at MOT time they'll just replace whatever is wrong at extortionate prices aka they'll get you the part than add 100% mark-up on top of it, and than charge you for the time spend sorting it out... 

apart from that you really don't want to be driving around like that in my area, the first copper to hear it will pull you over and fine you for noise pollution!    

I suggest you find a different garage.

#10 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

I suggest you find a different garage.

my garage doesn't dare to charge me for parts, i buy them myself and fit them myself... they are only allowed to tell me what is wrong and if it passed yes or no, and even then i argue with the tester, he kept mentioning my hid kit as an advisory last year he didn't put it on after i asked him if the light was blinding or had a weird colour... don't get me wrong i don't mind them pointing to worn parts but when stuff i s working just fine... don't mention it for the sake of it. 

#11 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

but going back on topic i had to resist not buying a mk4 1.8 gti AUM yesterday... bodywork was all fine, it had misfires and was on offer for scrap money.... i looked around it, and if it had a little bit more on it i would've taken it... but it didn't so i walked away, what was missing on my list... of things it should have? 

Polybushes - new model coilpacks - at least some proper shock absorbers... for the rest it was almost right... it was a black 3 door model, not one of my favourites as the 4 door shell although les attractive, is more rigid... 

so yeah i wasn't the only one looking at it and the next guy probably bought it... but i kept being critical, as i don't fancy laying under a car sorting out the suspension even before i can enjoy driving it.

#12 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:41 PM

What i find strange now is the fact you can buy a TT 225 for 500 quid and most AUQ golfs are over 1k.. 

me and my buddy have bought two 225 TT's over the last few months for sub 500 quid, yet they have full leathers quattro etc .. madness 

• McPikie likes this

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2001 Toyota Celica VVTLI **Insta @Craigyinni **

#13 McPikie

McPikie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

What i find strange now is the fact you can buy a TT 225 for 500 quid and most AUQ golfs are over 1k.. 

me and my buddy have bought two 225 TT's over the last few months for sub 500 quid, yet they have full leathers quattro etc .. madness 

They must be purely for breaking though?

#14 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:53 PM

Not at all,

One of them had the common 1st and 2nd gear fault and cost us nothing to fix . Just a nut and bolt.. has been on the road for 12 months and done a trip to swiss Alps and the ring with my mates ..

Other one turbo had gone. 80 quid second hand turbo and all is well..

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2001 Toyota Celica VVTLI **Insta @Craigyinni **

#15 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:41 PM

So jealous , I wish I had the tools and know-how and time to do that. A working TT for 500 quid , proper banganomics

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#16 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:02 PM

So jealous , I wish I had the tools and know-how and time to do that. A working TT for 500 quid , proper banganomics

The engine bay on the TT is alot tighter than the MK4 golf but it all works the same..

Can do most things with just Halfords socket set..

Tutoring my mate to swap engine in his pd150 estate as soon as this lock down is over .. it's all nuts and bolts.. just take lots of pictures when you take apart and reverse it

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
  • Gti Fly likes this

#17 MiltDoggie

MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Spain
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:43 PM

You guys ever come down to Mallorca for holidays during the summer? (It's where I live) 

Those MK4 Golfs are EVERYWHERE. As a matter of fact I was driving this morning and i saw 4 cars pass me, 3 of them were MK4s. There is literally an abundance of Golfs here, FB Marketplace is full of cheap parts, all free of rust. Many Golfs people are breaking.

Majority are TDI's, not many 1.6s. GTI 1.8Ts are rare, not many around. R32s are even rarer, There's probably 5 on the whole island. There are currently 2 for sale, one for 18 grand and the other for 15 grand. A 1.8T GTI here can fetch around 3 grand

Finding a MK4 in good condition is impossible down here, my own Golf is a disaster concerning bodywork. Dents and scratches, the front bumper and front left fender are a different shade of silver.

#18 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:31 AM

i just spent this in the last 12 months.

New clutch £360

New timing belt kit £300

new o2 sensor £120 (diy)

Spent more than the value of my 1.6, so I'm keeping this for another 30k miles at least. the o2 sensor was just a hench - never diagnosed it, i just felt it was doing poor fuel economy and very slow off the mark. Hunch proved right, car more economical, less noisy and feels smoother, also the intermittent EML is far less common. before it was on 90% of the time, now it only comes on 10% of the tme.

#19 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1485 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:15 AM

Loads locally here too..
Mix of derv and petrol, standard, modded , couple of quick ones, few loud ones and, until recently, one driving past the bungalow a few times a day that had that ridiculous owl noise..

Common as muck..

#20 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

...until recently, one driving past the bungalow a few times a day that had that ridiculous owl noise..

Barn owl?

falconry-06_256_w256_h256_cw256_ch256_th

Tawny owl?

c8ae5880ff9ada45251c3bcb5abd4ecc.jpeg

Long eared owl?

profileIcon_6lwo010pd3h51.jpg?width=256&

O Really owl?

profileIcon_zb8eyr5zscz41.jpg?width=256&

The owl in the Meg & Mog books?

012272557482d8c28c251f612c204a6c--seem-t

#21 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1485 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

Annoying owl
https://r.tapatalk.c...link_source=app

#22 Lorcy

Lorcy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:55 PM

Loads here in sleepy Norfolk still, including R32 OBO daily driven about 10 yards from where I work.

• Evil likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.