#1 MiltDoggie

MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spain
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:01 PM

So I was talking to my mechanic who would do a custom Stage 2 File/Chip/Tune for me. He stated that a Stage 2 isn't worth it if I don't put in injectors and a new turbo because the turbo will be pushing it's limits and be prone to blow. He recommends a Stage 1. If that's so, why the hell does Stage 2 even exist. Oh well...

Basically what I'm getting at, those who have done Stage 2 on a 1.8T (FMIC, Downpipe & Exhaust, Fuel Pump, TIP, DV) and pushing 200-230hp and 300 pound feet torque, how long did the stock ko3/ko3s turbo last? Was it reliable? Did yours blow up in magnificient fashion?

I read online that Stage 2 is fine as long as your torque/boost doesn't spike...

Any input?

Cheers
Milt

#2 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:53 AM

Does the same mechanic you spoke to also look after the car? I know that they are able to refuse to do a stage 2 if they think the car won't deal with the increase in power. They'd be liable for costs should something go wrong and all that.

Maybe go ask a couple of other places and see what they say.

#3 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 684 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 04 November 2020 - 10:42 AM

My Leon runs "stage 2", its running all of the above mods but still runs K03s and standard injectors and OEM fuel pump

So far its done about 5000 miles of abuse, nurburgring, swiss alps, NC500... was also a used turbo off ebay that i put in, OEM just used (got the car with a knackered engine and turbo) ... ive had no issues. 

Hope this helps

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2003 Audi TT 180 - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2003 Audi TT 180 **Insta @Craigyinni **

#4 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10050 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 November 2020 - 10:59 AM

the reason why he said do the injectors is because otherwise he will be hit with limits by the amount of fuel he can inject... he got a big point there. the turbo will be pushed to it's max with stage 2 but that said if the turbo is fine it should last... if there is already play on the shaft or seals that you don't notice now because it's not pushed as hard with a stage 2 map it'll deffo come to light a lot faster and ending up with a failed turbo is the last thing you'd want while having a blast... 

so i get where he's coming from, so he could do it but with the limiting fuel coming from the injectors, he probably needs to write a map that utilises less power.... and he just knows you'll be disappointed with the outcome..so to save you money and disappointment he told you not worth doing it with the hardware you got now... 

and if you ask me that is very sensible. 

#5 Bandit127

Bandit127

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Southampton
  • Golf VI SE TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 04 November 2020 - 08:28 PM

On top of all the good advice above, just a good map will get you 190-200 bhp on stage 1 and a completely different car.

#6 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 05 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

The mechanic is being over cautious.

Mine was "stage 2" at 90k miles. Now 162k miles.

It does have an easy life with the occasional razz but I don't worry about the turbo (need decent map to avoid horrible EGTs).

I'm even running the old AGU injectors that are just about maxed out (280cc IIRC). Made 232bhp.

Also, I only have an uprated SMIC (should be FMIC), Nick at Rtech threw caution to the wind with my car (when Rtech would map AGUs, they won't now). I am map upgradable via ODB port.

I change the oil often.

VW made factory cars in the 220-230 bhp range on the DBW 1.8Ts on (AUM coded?) engines with a KO3s!

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#7 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 684 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 05 November 2020 - 01:41 PM

The mechanic is being over cautious.

Mine was "stage 2" at 90k miles. Now 162k miles.

It does have an easy life with the occasional razz but I don't worry about the turbo (need decent map to avoid horrible EGTs).

I'm even running the old AGU injectors that are just about maxed out (280cc IIRC). Made 232bhp.

Also, I only have an uprated SMIC (should be FMIC), Nick at Rtech threw caution to the wind with my car (when Rtech would map AGUs, they won't now). I am map upgradable via ODB port.

I change the oil often.

VW made factory cars in the 220-230 bhp range on the DBW 1.8Ts on (AUM coded?) engines with a KO3s!

:Y:

I Second the oil change often, probably too often than makes a difference, all my cars are oil changed every 3 months or sooner if i find time. My Leon in 5k miles has been changed over 20 times. 

However im very fortunate that i do not pay for oil :-)

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2003 Audi TT 180 - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2003 Audi TT 180 **Insta @Craigyinni **

#8 MiltDoggie

MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spain

Posted 12 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

Does the same mechanic you spoke to also look after the car? I know that they are able to refuse to do a stage 2 if they think the car won't deal with the increase in power. They'd be liable for costs should something go wrong and all that.

Maybe go ask a couple of other places and see what they say.

He doesn't reeeeally look after my car. He's the go-to guy when I need something done I can't do (more like don't have the guts) myself like Timing belt or replace CV Boots.

The guys over at VWVortex recommended me to either go Stage 2 or Big Turbo. Well since my bank account would never appreciate BIG turbo I went for Stage 2. 

Car went in for a Custom Map yesterday with software from BND Unlimited. 

I think for now I will do Oil changes more frequently and Spark plugs

I will post up the results when I get the car back tomorrow (hopefully)

Cheers

Milt

#9 MiltDoggie

MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spain

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:47 PM

Well, it's been mapped, couldn't be happier

97TOJTw.jpg

AdWIvQ3.jpg

2au1TrL.jpg

217HP and 268 pound feet of torque. I am quite happy with the results, custom tune from BND Unlimited done by the guys at AutoEvo. Car is nippy and eager to go, has plenty of punch.

List of mods
DarksideDevelopements Front Mount Intercooler Twin Pass
Forge Turbo Inlet Pipe
Forge Diverter Valve
Milltek 3 inch Downpipe Decat
Milltek 2.5 inch Non-Resonated Catback
Ramair Induction Kit
Deatschwerks Fuel Pump 265LPH
NGK BKR6E
NGK Coil Packs
EGR Delete
PCV Delete
N249 Delete
N112 Delete
SAI Delete
Catch Can Installed

Cheers guys
Milt

#10 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10921 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:59 PM

217 is what I'd say Stage 1 is.  The last Stage 2 I did (tuned on the road, verified on the dyno) made 256bhp.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#11 MiltDoggie

MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spain

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

217 is what I'd say Stage 1 is.  The last Stage 2 I did (tuned on the road, verified on the dyno) made 256bhp.

Lol what how, what were your mods? FBO or did you swap turbo, injectors etc?

I was considering putting in 440cc injectors but cba 

Cheers

Milt

#12 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:21 PM

Seems low to me also. I don't have a decat and got 232  :mellow:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#13 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10921 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:48 PM

Stock K03s, decat, full 3" system, stock injectors and FPR.  Large TIP and 3" MAF from memory.  Good fuel, solid timing and a large FMIC.  IMO it's a little high but that's what the dyno said! 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#14 MiltDoggie

MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spain

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:40 PM

Stock K03s, decat, full 3" system, stock injectors and FPR.  Large TIP and 3" MAF from memory.  Good fuel, solid timing and a large FMIC.  IMO it's a little high but that's what the dyno said! 

I think I couldve gotten more power had I gone for a bigger single pass FMIC and a CreationsMotorsport Oversized TIP and a vr6 MAF Housing. However I am happy with what I have as I do not want to completely push the Rods and Turbo to it's limits, this car has a Roadtrip to do next year!

#15 richwig83

richwig83

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:35 PM

What fuel do they have in Spain?

brakessig.jpg

#16 MiltDoggie

MiltDoggie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spain

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:37 AM

What fuel do they have in Spain?

Where I live, Mallorca, they have 95 and 98. I always fill up on 98

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.