Is there supposed to be an exhaust drain hole? - Engine, Tuning and Performance - uk-mkivs

Photo

Is there supposed to be an exhaust drain hole?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1184 posts
  • Finland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:37 PM

I think the exhaust is full of water and it is gurgling. Yes I tried to warm up the engine and vaporize it. The weather is somewhat cold so it does not seem to be working.

I can literally fill up a glass by pressing gas pedal down and push out the water by force. It is just annoying because I can hear the gurgling noise when engine is idling.

Can anybody tell is there supposed to be an exhaust drain hole somewhere or ?

#2 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10061 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

Nope no drain holes the exhaust is supposed the be gas tight from the engine manifold all the way to the last bit of metal that is part of the exhaust.

But you are not supposed to have that much water inside any part of the exhaust, that you can hear it sloshing about, it probably is stuck in the rear exhaust box... simple solution but an annoying one... take it off and put it up so all the water comes out... after that it shouldn't happen again unless that part is submerged in water somehow.

#3 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50154 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:57 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section.The forum is laid out in such a way as to make them easy to find.

#4 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10615 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:59 PM

This has got to be the most facepalm thing I've read in a week

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#5 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10061 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:01 AM

Yeah it took me a while before I answered as I thought
He must be joking.... especially coming from mister I will look everything up than cross reference it with articles written by countless people to debunk the answer that I got given...

Anyway as you can see I decided to tell him how to sort it out.

#6 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1184 posts
  • Finland

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:19 AM

I am sorry but the exhaust was not dipped in water. Today I decided to just rev it up few times and expel the water. Few liters of water came out! Bu now no more gurgling sounds. I am surprised that people living in cold climates do not have this problem more often.

I do not get the joke you guys have about the part numbers and drawings. Drawings do not always show every tiny detail which is pertinent to operation. So the joke is on you :) 

#7 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10061 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:33 AM

No one said it was dipped in water ... we just told you the exhaust is supposed to be gass thight so no drain holes...

The thing that made us wonder if you were joking was the actual question coming from you.... you should actually know that... that was all

And how the exhaust rear box is designed... if you don't go for a long drive... it will be filled with condensation so you will hear that sloshing again in the morning... just take the back box off and put it upside down, with the shortest exhaust pipe used as a drain, to make sure it is empty if you aren't going for a long drive anytime soon.

#8 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10615 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 04 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

Trust me. There's no joke on me. I'm not the one holding a paper cup to capture exhaust water

#9 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10061 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 November 2020 - 02:58 PM

I would wonder how the hell all that water got in there in the first place... but no explanation other than it wasn't submerged in water... maybe someone filled the backbox up as a trick for trick or treat... that is if you celebrate Halloween in your country, or maybe someone that has an axe to grind with you... 

anyway no joke is on us mate... we both couldn't even imagine standing behind a car and trying to catch fluids from the exhaust... we both would wonder where the hell it actually came from and probably would both pull the rear box off to drain it

#10 Bandit127

Bandit127

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Southampton
  • Golf VI SE TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 04 November 2020 - 07:45 PM

This.

Or it's drugs and too many.

An exhaust fills itself with 2 liters of water which he pushes out by revving the car at the same time as holding a cup the other end to catch and measure it. Due to the fact that the expected drain hole in the exhaust is missing.  :lol-lol:

Imagewerx pops in to tell him his post is in the wrong place. Just to add to the surrealism.

My mind is boggled... :blink:

#11 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1184 posts
  • Finland

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:09 AM

@Bandit127 I would not quite say this question is related to engine, tuning or performance... but thats me...

The car was not used for about a month but there was ridiculous amoutn of water. I think it is a design fault perhaps. That explains why newer Golfs seem to have it....

https://forums.vwvor...n-the-smoke-out

Unless of course you are wrong and there is supposed to be a pinhole on Golf4 also :)

#12 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10061 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

Yeah the answer to that is no no pinholes period...and that they decided to put one in the mk7 r models just comes to show that they decided to be lazy and not design a proper exhaust... it is one of the reasons most people I know replace the exhaust on the R for this exact reason. Some even just tack weld the hole shut.

And no they don't have loads of water coming out the exhaust...

#13 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10615 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:32 PM

Why don't u drill loads of holes into your exhaust to let water out and tell everyone that you've done the mk7 exhaust mod.

That will be cool and you'll think you're the boss on the forums.

Pls post up scientific before and after of the paper cup situation too, to prove how much water you've allowed to escape.
  • DerPanzerWagen likes this

#14 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

Pls post up scientific before and after of the paper cup situation too, to prove how much water you've allowed to escape.

Why not go the full ticket and stick a video up too!

If it's any good, maybe he can make it into a water feature for those people who like cars and gardening.

#15 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10615 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:19 PM

Yes. Flames are so 2019

Water feature is where's it's at now
  • DerPanzerWagen likes this

#16 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1184 posts
  • Finland

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:48 AM

Well this is the last 4 times.... but first 6-8 times came much more water and all the puddle on the ground is from the exhaust.... :)

I think a drain hole would benefited quite a bit :D

Edited by yurtesen, 08 November 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#17 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10061 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

well break out the drill and put a hole in it... don't get mad when your car doesn't passes it's yearly mot equivalent in your country because you decided it needs a drain hole. 

I will say it again... get the exhaust off and drain the lot out, put it back and keep an eye on it... there should NOT be any water coming out in those amounts... maybe a little condensation after it has been left overnight but no waterworks like you've got there... i actually think someone just filled up your exhaust with water to pull a prank on you, unless you did this yourself  to see what would happen if you filled the exhaust with water to clean it out... 

#18 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10615 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:33 AM

I just think he lets his car idle for ages and ages before going anywhere.

#19 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10061 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

lol i do that when the car is so cold the steering wheel feels like it's frozen and i've never ever seen so much water come out of the exhaust...nah i think he filled it with water to wash it out than filmed it...

#20 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10925 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:29 AM

That amount of water formed from combustion is not possible at all.  If the motor gets up to temp, the amount generated would turn into steam.  That volume of water is not normal and suggests:

A) it has never been taken to temp in it's life and has done thousands of miles up and down a driveway

B) you/someone is filling it with water

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#21 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10615 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

U see water coming out of cars in similar way in the winter cold that are typically small engine cars driven by old people .

As soon as they put a bit of load on the gas pedal, such as going up a hill you see water pouring out of the tail pipe.

What you don't see is someone posting a video of their car at standstill revving the exhaust to see the water coming out and asking if it's normal

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.