[Mk4 Golf] Water getting in through the front door? - Interiors - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

Water getting in through the front door?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:51 PM

So I have a 3dr Mk4 4Motion golf with a sunroof which in the 18 months of ownership I have found various small leaks. My rear window used to fog up alot because the drain from the sunroof on the divers side wasnt connected properly in the boot for some reason, the pipe was not pushed in to the rubber grommet! So then I still kept finding the car smelling a bit pond like recently, to discovery the passenger side rear footwell had water in it!

The sunroof is just fine, I've checked all the drains and from what I can tell they are doing their job, but it seems that water is actually coming in through the door, which is a bit of a mystery!

What the water seems to be doing is finding its way in to the rear footwell via the door seal, but when you open the door the water is getting in to the seal where it meets the plastic and the water seems to drip off of the actual underside of the door. So today I have had the door in pieces because the microswitch which does the interior light/alarm on that side had stopped working properly ages ago and I figured they could be linked, inside of the door was kind of dry, except the back of the speaker was a little damp too (eg the plastic surround, not the actual cone) and the other end where it had been dripping out.

I'm at a bit of a loss, any pointers on where they commonly leak from on the doors?

Also if its possible to get a replacement plastic bit for the winder mechanism as the motor mounting points have all broken as usual. Also as no doubt I'll have this to bits again, is there any does and donts with replacement door locks?

I was looking on ebay and they arent too expensive, makes sense to just replace it if I have the door in bits again to continue finding this leak.

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:15 PM

My rear doors have leaked from the seal around the inner metal panel, behind the door card, and also from around the speakers.

I put a bead of silicone around the metal panel and around the black speaker surrounding and it's been dry since.

#3 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:30 PM

My rear doors have leaked from the seal around the inner metal panel, behind the door card, and also from around the speakers.

I put a bead of silicone around the metal panel and around the black speaker surrounding and it's been dry since.

The seal seemed pretty good, to the point where I struggled to separate it anywhere, however I am sure water was coming through one of the screw points at the bottom, which made me wonder how the hell is so much water getting to the back of the panel?!

As for the speaker, seems well sealed, but had some water on the back of it like. We have had heaps of rain recently, but I'm only suffering it on the passenger side, not the drivers side. I was honestly expecting a fish bowl inside the door when I opened it, but it looked fairly dry and well waxoyl'd! 

I still need to take it apart again to possibly replace the latch as the micro switch isnt working correctly and the locks fairly gummed up, although I did clean it best I could and regrease it.

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:17 AM

The water builds up behind as it goes between the window and the rubber seal that runs along the bottom edge of the window. There's drain holes at the bottom of the door, slightly hidden behind a rubber strip, and these drain holes can get clogged. Pipe cleaner in these holes should clear them out and stop as much water sitting in the door.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.