#1 robertiebob

robertiebob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • north east
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:08 PM

can any one help ,my 2002 golf anniversary had a like for like 1.8t engine fitted at 200k ,the transplanted unit had only 60k on it and came from a TT,I was tying to find out if the gear box from the tt was also fitted at the same time,the flat plate which has the code on is worn ,is there any other way of finding out if its the tt gear box?

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:40 AM

usually an engine transplant is just the engine.. rarely you'll get someone that does the gearbox also... and no the only way to find out what gearbox it is would be to pull it open ... unless you can make it more visible by adding some chalk or paint on the faded part to make it more readable. 

#3 robertiebob

robertiebob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • north east

Posted 12 November 2020 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reply ,ive tryed every thing,just gona live with it no big thing,she has 237k on the clock now and gear box feels good slight notch when going into second,they should have changed the clutch you would have thought when engine was replaced at 200k.

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:44 AM

jup they probably did it would be false economy not to do so... but notchy can sometimes come from the gear selector needing alignment or wornout parts on the gear stick... 

so have a mechanic (or DIY it) look at those bits and see if they need adjusting or some new parts... 

#5 robertiebob

robertiebob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • north east

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:19 AM

hello again ,one last thing the engine number on the log book matches the one on the cam belt cover but should the number on the black sticker on the near side leg match aswellAUQ------

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:05 PM

yeah no that'll match the old engine...  

#7 robertiebob

robertiebob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • north east

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for your help north pole,i have just read a topic you were involved in two years ago,a guy had a 1.8t golf that hesitated in first and second under slight acceleration the open road all good but then did the same when in traffic,mine does the same,he changed alot of parts before putting it into garage and they changed the dip stick ,my engine light has just come on ,I had the car in for cam belt and water pump 3 months ago and i told them about it then ,they read the codes and i have the print out,they said bring it back at a later date for them to go through them,dont realy want them to change everything to find its just the dip stick ,do you think its worth changing dip stick holder?? the engine light wasent on 3 months ago and had the same symtoms but is now,any help gratefully received.

#8 robertiebob

robertiebob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • north east

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

Ive just removed the maf sensor plug and the hesitation has gone ,do you know where the best place to get one is,as vw want £170 ,ive seen them on line for £20 are these any good ??

#9 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:35 PM

nope you are better off buying one off a scrappy than getting one of those cheap ones unless it is directly from Bosh i would run the other way to get a proper one... the thing with VAG cars is they are sensitive to bad sensors... it is the reason they charge an arm and a leg for those things.. but you can et them for less from Bosh on eBay or even the likes of ECP and GSF (not always cheap though but a lot less than the 170 pounds vw wants) 

oww and yes replace the tube it's cheap (can buy a cheap aftermarket replacement or one of a scrappy) and that car was seriously acting up... sometimes the smallest thing causes the weirdest stuff.  

#10 robertiebob

robertiebob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • north east

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for that,ive gone down the cheap rout got the hole sensor and case for £19.99 ,before i read your reply,just spent £4500 on resto dident expect to be doing engine work now,she started up ok then spluterd and went off so started again and seems ok havent road tested it yet.let you know tomos when it was in the garage it brought up 14 falt codes but the y couldent find anything wrong with it ,its like its intamitant ,cuts out every few weeks,then is fine again but allways has that hesitation infirst and second,hopefully this maf sensor fixes it.

#11 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9925 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:33 PM

what you could do to make sure the gearbox internals are lubricated properly is refresh the gearbox oil... no need to flush it just replace the lot, it'll make a world of a difference.  The MAF sensor will make a difference that is one thing that is for sure... as it is used to calculate how much fuel will needs to be injected corresponding to pre-defined mappings.. and if it's not working 100% the ecu defaults to a safe map... 

and if you've spend that much it is possible the ECU had old fault codes in them so best is to wipe them, go for a drive and scan the ecu again whatever comes back up needs to be sorted out... 

#12 robertiebob

robertiebob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • north east

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

changed the maf made it even worse so ive put old one back on and seems ok,booked in at vw independent on wednesday so will let you know

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.