5 replies to this topic

#1 andy.stephens66

andy.stephens66

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:12 PM

Hi all,

Recently bought a 1.6fsi on a 57 plate. We have noticed recently that we are having to top up the coolant on a weekly basis. Today my wife went to drive it and said that the battery light has come on and there was no heating in the car. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:03 PM

No heating could be if an air lock formed when the coolant went low and you didn't burp the system when you filled it back up.

It's either leaking out, being burned or mixing with the oil.

For the battery light, test the battery and alternator. Can be done with a multimeter. Check battery voltage while the car is running, should be around 13.8-14v.

#3 andy.stephens66

andy.stephens66

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

Well I got home and have had a look. The belt is completely missing! Not sure what happened. Is it easy to put a new one on?

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:03 PM

Likely snapped and fell off somewhere.

Easy to swap, just don't lose any fingers when moving the tensioner. Pull tensioner back, slide allen key or drill bit into placeholder hole to keep it back, fit new belt and release tensioner. It will auto tension.

#5 andy.stephens66

andy.stephens66

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:06 PM

I’ve just bought the new belt. Will fit it shortly. Does it matter which way round the belt goes? Just double checking

#6 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:24 PM

It matters that you match up the ribbed side to pulleys that are ribbed. So for example if the belt goes over the top of one pulley then you need ribbed side down touching the pulley (assuming it's ribbed), and if it goes under a pulley then it'll likely be smooth so you need the smooth side touching the pulley.

If you're unsure then ask your local indie garage to do it, they shouldn't want more than £20 to fit it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk5 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.