#1 markmooch

markmooch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • London
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:50 AM

I’ve just replaced the ABS pump and want to flush the brake & clutch system entirely as it won’t have been done for years. Do I need a pressure bleeder and VAGCOM or can it be done by one person manually (pipe on the nipples, plastic bottle to collect fluid) with the engine running (to power the brake & clutch system)? The car is a 1.6 FSI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:27 AM

From what I understand is you need vagcom

If u don't then I'm guessing the only other way is to bleed as best as u can, then drive and stamp on the brakes to get the abs to kick in and rebleed again and again .

That's just a guess, I could be totally wrong
  • markmooch likes this

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

A regular bleed/flush can be done without a pressure bleeder, and that doesn't require the engine being on since it's just pushing around hydraulic fluid. But for this, I think the book calls for VAGCOM and a pressure bleeder, but I'm pretty sure I've read people have done it without either of those.

I used an eezibleed when I did my rear calipers and it was pretty rubbish imo, the pipes and cap never sealed properly which defeats the purpose of it being a pressure bleeder. So if it were me going fourth, I'd either attempt to bleed with the 1 man bottle method, or try a vacuum bleeder, can't get any worse than just not being bled at all after opening the system.
  • markmooch likes this

#4 markmooch

markmooch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • London
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

A regular bleed/flush can be done without a pressure bleeder, and that doesn't require the engine being on since it's just pushing around hydraulic fluid. But for this, I think the book calls for VAGCOM and a pressure bleeder, but I'm pretty sure I've read people have done it without either of those.

I used an eezibleed when I did my rear calipers and it was pretty rubbish imo, the pipes and cap never sealed properly which defeats the purpose of it being a pressure bleeder. So if it were me going fourth, I'd either attempt to bleed with the 1 man bottle method, or try a vacuum bleeder, can't get any worse than just not being bled at all after opening the system.

Thanks pal, that’s disappointing to hear about the eezibleed. Any idea what size tube/line is needed to go over the brake nipple? Have some 8 or 10mm (I think) fuel line but it’s black so can’t view the change in colour of the brake fluid as easily when the clean new stuff starts to come through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:58 PM

Just buy some fish tank hose off eBay if you don't have any clear hoses. It's a few quid at most
  • markmooch likes this

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#6 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:01 PM

Not sure on exact size, but I think 8mm should be a nice, snug fit. The bleed nipples on calipers is an 11mm spanner, and the spanner can slide over the tube fairly easily, so I'd go 8mm if you've got it.

Ideally get some clear tube if you can though, makes it so much easier to see air coming out and clean fluid coming through.
  • markmooch likes this

#7 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10048 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

dude i will give you the best advise ever.... go to any universal garage (kwikfit, Formula1, garage on the corner) and pay them to do it for you yes bleeding isn't hard if you got 2 people you can do it the old fashioned way, but it takes forever...  I actually had mine replaced last year at Formula1 and they used a bleeding machine... took them 20 minutes including bleeding the clutch slave cylinder and brake master cylinder best thing i ever did... 

the last time i did it myself it took me hours doing it the old fashioned way 

• markmooch likes this

#8 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10915 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:58 AM

Yeah they didn't do it in 20 minutes then.  You'd be a solid hour confidently doing each caliper, providing the nipples all crack free.

• markmooch likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#9 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10048 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:24 AM

Yeah they didn't do it in 20 minutes then.  You'd be a solid hour confidently doing each caliper, providing the nipples all crack free.

I didn't know you were there...   :lol-lol:  :lol-lol:  :lol-lol:  :lol-lol:

they did in in 20 minutes, i actually stood there and watched them do it... and this was on my daily vectra c....  the brake lines on that are a lot longer than on a golf mk4, the the callipers are bigger, and the clutch slave cylinder is a pita to bleed yet they managed to replace the brake fluid within 20 minutes... the machine they used was connected to the compressor so i figure the brake fluid got pushed in under quite some pressure...  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk5 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.