Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Golf 4 Tdi weird gearbox noise?

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  northpole 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a weird sound when I'm pulling away from junctions or beginning to reverse. The sound only happens when I'm at very low speed and pulling off.
It sounds like the brakes, but I can feel it in the gearstick. The only way I can describe it, is it sounds like the squeak of mountain bike brakes when braking hard. More of a screech than a squeak.

Any ideas?
Cheers

Ps. It's a T plate gold tdi 1.9 Non pd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
well what you need to do is pinpoint where the noise comes from, the fact that you can feel in in the gearstick does suggest it is coming from the front so you need to check the front drive train, brakes etc for the source of the noise.. could be as simple as brake pads to the drive shaft touching something or the early signs of a gearbox that needs work done...

#3 ·
Is it hard to get into gear?

Once in gear does the selector fork stay put?

Does the car travel smoothly pulling out and reversing?

Are the brake pads ok for wear both front and back on each calliper?

Have you put a pressure washer on your front brakes to get rid of any stones/grit?

Have you checked your aux belt?

Do the front wheels spin freely once you raise the car up?

or the early signs of a gearbox that needs work done...
If one day it starts to sound like a circular saw then it's your gearbox.

#4 ·
Is it hard to get into gear?
Once in gear does the selector fork stay put?
Does the car travel smoothly pulling out and reversing?
Are the brake pads ok for wear both front and back on each calliper?
Have you put a pressure washer on your front brakes to get rid of any stones/grit?
Have you checked your aux belt?
Do the front wheels spin freely once you raise the car up?

If one day it starts to sound like a circular saw then it's your gearbox.
Hmmm, I'll try and answer all now, cheers.

It's a little difficult to get into first gear, but just needs a little fiddling. I don't have to ram it in, but need to wiggle it a bit when putting into first.
I did have a problem previously, which I put in a previous topic on here where my gear selector/stick had snapped off from the connection to the body, so not sure if that is linked. I ended up welding a few spots to secure it back on.

Once it's in gear it stays there fine [emoji106]

The car drives ok, but when pulling out or reversing it does seem a little stiff. Feels like it's being held back slightly.

Brakes are fine as far as I can see.

Haven't put pressure washer. I'll try that, but although it sounds like brakes, it just doesn't feel like them. And the noise never happens unless I'm engaged in gear and putting a small amount of torque through it. If it were the brakes, I'm assuming I would have experienced it when the car is rolling out of gear?

Aux belt seems fine.

I'll check the wheels spinning today [emoji106]

Thanks [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
things i would do:

- replace gearbox oil

- go to the scrappy and get a complete gearstick with gear linkage cables and replace the lot

- reset the gear linkage on the gearbox side, also check the plastic bit it connects to you wouldn't be the first with one with a little crack in it...

see if the noise goes away and if the gear selection smooths out after all that

#6 ·
things i would do:

- replace gearbox oil

- go to the scrappy and get a complete gearstick with gear linkage cables and replace the lot

- reset the gear linkage on the gearbox side, also check the plastic bit it connects to you wouldn't be the first with one with a little crack in it...

From reading his reply to mine, I'd go for this option too. Then make sure everything is properly adjusted. If it's doing this in 1st and reverse, then there'll be problems with 6th gear becoming difficult to put in/take out next. Then you get sloppy 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear changes as 5th gear then just about goes in

and 6th won't work at all. And so it goes downhill as it goes on. And then the noises start. Oh what noise it is!(sorry, got carried away there...)

#7 ·
From reading his reply to mine, I'd go for this option too. Then make sure everything is properly adjusted. If it's doing this in 1st and reverse, then there'll be problems with 6th gear becoming difficult to put in/take out next. Then you get sloppy 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear changes as 5th gear then just about goes in

and 6th won't work at all. And so it goes downhill as it goes on. And then the noises start. Oh what noise it is!(sorry, got carried away there...)
He's got a VE 1.9... he won't be having a 6th gear.. hence the reason i pointed out the plastic bit on the gear selector ( it's the part that connects them to the gear tower)

#8 ·
He's got a VE 1.9... he won't be having a 6th gear.. hence the reason i pointed out the plastic bit on the gear selector ( it's the part that connects them to the gear tower)
All the VE 1.9 only had 110-115ps and a 5 speed box. (Used to own one which didn't know what Euro compliance meant. Sadly gone to car heaven.)

I was going by what it says on his info: 1.9 ASZ 130ps which is a PD engine and a 6 speed box.

Unless of course, he's fiddled with it and not told us..

#10 ·
things i would do:

- replace gearbox oil

OK cheers.
I'll change gearbox oil the weekend.
The gear linkage had a problem previously and snapped off the shifter tower. I had to spot weld it back on. See this previous thread https://uk-mkivs.net/topic/653422-cant-get-into-reverse-1st-or-2nd-gear/

Am I still able to replace the bits you suggested after that rigmarole?

#11 ·
All the VE 1.9 only had 110-115ps and a 5 speed box. (Used to own one which didn't know what Euro compliance meant. Sadly gone to car heaven.)

I was going by what it says on his info: 1.9 ASZ 130ps which is a PD engine and a 6 speed box.

Unless of course, he's fiddled with it and not told us..
Sorry mate, yeah I do have a 130pd too. This is one of my 4 Golfs which I bought as a stop gap while fixing my PD. Still haven't got round to it though haha.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
It depends on how you've sorted it... but it should slot straight in if you done it how I suggested it in that topic. If you just spot welded the lot how it was sitting , without having the lot sitting flat than it is pointless to replace that part... what you should do than is try and reset the gearlinkages on the tower so the movement is smooth.

If that fails you should re check your handy work... that is after you made sure that black piece of plastic the cables connect to on the gearlinkage tower isn't broken or cracked..

#13 ·
It depends on how you've sorted it... but it should slot straight in if you done it how I suggested it in that topic. If you just spot welded the lot how it was sitting , without having the lot sitting flat than it is pointless to replace that part... what you should do than is try and reset the gearlinkages on the tower so the movement is smooth.

If that fails you should re check your handy work... that is after you made sure that black piece of plastic the cables connect to on the gearlinkage tower isn't broken or cracked..
OK cheers mate. Yeah I just tried to keep it flat, but didn't use the plate.
I'll check the black plastic bit today. Thanks again (Y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.