Kjohal1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Lancashire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:37 PM

Hey folks 

my dads mk7 (2014) 1.4tsi has got wet rear passenger footwells. I can see the water built up on the door seal and overflowing when I open the door.

is this likely the same issue that i have fixed on both my mk4 golfs whereby the seal on the door needs replacing or siliconing in as i have done previously. Or should I be looking for some other cause?

TIA

Golf GTTDI PD130 2003
Previous Golf GTTDI PD 115 2001
16 years in a MK4 and still going

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:30 PM

AFAIK, for the Mk5 Golf onwards VW ditched that poor design of the metal carrier having a seal around it behind the door card, so the Mk7 shouldn't be affected. The only place I can think behind the door card that could leak is the speaker.

I'd be looking at rear light seals, tailgate seal or potentially a bad main door seal. Check for a build up of dirt on the rubber passage along the bottom edge of the door, that could be stopping the water from draining off the sill/bottom part of the door entrance of the car.

Check for water in the boot area.

• Kjohal1 likes this

#3 Kjohal1

Kjohal1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Lancashire

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:24 PM

Nice one

i take a look at all those and see what I can find

Golf GTTDI PD130 2003

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:09 PM

Found this while searching for the source of my leak, figured it could be useful to you.

#5 Kjohal1

Kjohal1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Lancashire

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Just Grazing - I used that video and me and my old man had a go this morning. Safe to say the speaker was the source of the issue and I could quite clearly see the spontex sponge which VW have used as a seal behind the speaker. Absolute plonkers in my opinion.

I cut away the sponge bits hanging out, dried out the area and then applied a slilcone seal around the rim. I know this is not ideal and it would have been better to remove the speaker but I didnt want to break the pop rivots so opted for the seal option. I did a nice tidy job and its now in the garage to dryout. I confident this will resolve the issue but I am rather frustrated at VW for such a poor effort on their part.

one bonus was i didnt break a single clip  

Golf GTTDI PD130 2003

#6 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 04:36 PM

Glad you found it. They've used that sponge/membrane seal for years and it's always been rubbish.

Would advise lifting the carpet to dry the underlay/sound deadening out fully otherwise the car will smell of damp. That sound deadening soaks up the water like a massive sponge.

#7 Kjohal1

Kjohal1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Lancashire

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:42 PM

Yeah it’s currently in the garage everything open and now drying out. The car mats soaked up a lot of the water but will do thattoo thanks for the tip.

Golf GTTDI PD130 2003

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.