14 replies to this topic

#1 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:31 PM

Hello everyone again :) its been a while since i wrote something here. I drive my mkiv every day. I take 100 km / day on avarage. Some strange failing bearing "grinding" kind of noise started to show up usually when the car is in operating temperature. All i want to know is how far i can go with this lovely creature that takes so much in its twentys so that the wheels wont block while going in fifth gear or something? Now about the noise and why I'am asking this. Noise ONLY appears when the gearbox is in neutral and clutch isnt pressed in. And it only appears when the car is stopped completely, a very small movement in neutral will mute the sound. Car is stopped, i press in the clutch- noise is gone as well. At first me and my mechaninc thought that its a worn out clutch release bearing so we changed the whole clutch assembly (and found out that my Golf doesnt even have a thing called release bearing, its an old type clutch). And now after an expensive full clutch replacing the sound isn't gone.. This made me decide to buy an electric car that will end this kind of headache.. Im done spending money in it, i mean its old and everything eventually will fail. So my question now is how far i can go? Until i buy a new car? What is the worst scenario that can happen with input shaft bearing failure? At least i decided that this bearing is causing the noise. Patiently waiting for answers :)

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:49 PM

It does sort of have a release bearing, it's just not a traditional type, it's a capped type in the end of the box, under the green cap. Have you inspected it at all? And also the release arm which is under that green cap?

Do you have a video of the noise at all?

#3 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:47 PM

I haven't checked that, neither my mechanic has. How hard is it to replace these components? Do i have to remove the transaxle? What will happen if i won't fix this issue? I will try to make a video later, because i'm not able to do this right now

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:27 PM

It's much easier to replace those than to replace the clutch. No need to remove any axles or drop the box.

Remove the wheel arch liner on the passenger side and take the wheel off and you've got plenty of space to do it. Take a look at videos showing how to replace the release arm on a MK3 Golf, same process as the box on the 1.6 MK4.

Not the best video but it gives you a good idea, using a magnet to get the old release bearing out makes it a lot easier. You'll likely lose a little bit of gearbox oil when you open the green cap so have something to catch it and a little to top it up (can top it up through the reverse light switch hole on the top of the box if you want the easy fill option). Ideally you'd fill it from the fill cap till it drips out, but if you put the same amount in that comes out then it shouldn't be a problem.

Also ideally you'd replace the green cap with a new one.
  • Theallinner likes this

#5 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

Thank You for information, i just called another mechanic and told him about situation i have. He told me that it must be input shaft bearing :( i will still make a video, i believe he can be wrong
  • Theallinner likes this

#6 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 15 December 2020 - 03:41 PM

Okay, so I have another question. What would happen if the input shaft bearing collapsed while i'm going ~50 miles an hour? How fatal it would be?

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11058 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:04 PM

The release bearing?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#8 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

Okay, so I have another question. What would happen if the input shaft bearing collapsed while i'm going ~50 miles an hour? How fatal it would be?

Depends if there was a massive lorry up your rear doing 49mph or not...

Either way, you would have no gear or you'd be stuck in half a gear but your car wouldn't accelerate anymore. 

#9 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:17 PM

The bearing that is inside the transaxle

#10 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:23 PM

So wheels of the car wouldn't lock up while driving in fifth gear so i cause an accident and crash my Golf?

#11 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11058 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

Inside the transaxle?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#12 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 16 December 2020 - 10:55 AM

I mean the gearbox. Well i tried to make a video today, but i could barely hear the sound my car makes on my phone. I will still upload it when i get back home. Now sometimes i can hear some kind of clunking noise, but its not permanent. And once again- it totally sounds like a bad bearing. It only happens when the car is still and in neutral, clutch pedal is not pressed. I press the clutch pedal- sound is gone. And when the car is moving in neutral the sound is gone too. Rebuilding the gearbox is expensive, buying a used transmission is risky. I dont know what should i do

#13 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11058 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 December 2020 - 10:58 AM

Are you sure it's not the release bearing?

#14 Theallinner

Theallinner

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:23 AM

Here is an update, sorry for taking that long. Changed the release bearing (the old one was in a pretty good condition).The sound is a little more quiet, but it is still here. I'm guessing it's the input shaft bearing. :( But what about the fly wheel? Does it have a bearing in the centre?

#15 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10280 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:21 AM

No you got a solid flywheel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.