#1 Stevemartin911

Stevemartin911

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Staffs
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:35 PM

Just bought a 4 motion for the winter, have had a few golfs in the past and love them to bits but recently moved over to RWD BMW’s which don’t get very far in bad weather, resorted to my next favourite, never had a vr6 only GTI’s so this will be a new experience and looking forward to it.

not swapping over till 1st Jan cos I’m a tight wad and won’t pay HM GOV a penny more than I need to, will enjoy reading the posts, here’s hoping I won’t need any technical help !

have a great Xmas and New year, let’s hope it’s a better one !

have a good evening

steve

#2 McPikie

McPikie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:11 PM

Depending on the mileage and service history, I'd get it on VCDS and check for chain corralation on blocks 90&91, and 208&209. Anything more that -/+3 and it's likely the tensioners are on the way out/guide rails are knackered. To change the chain it's a box and flywheel off job, which is around £2,000 all in.

#3 Blitzerman

Blitzerman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:06 PM

Depending on the mileage and service history, I'd get it on VCDS and check for chain corralation on blocks 90&91, and 208&209. Anything more that -/+3 and it's likely the tensioners are on the way out/guide rails are knackered. To change the chain it's a box and flywheel off job, which is around £2,000 all in.

Crickey, let him enjoy the car for a bit first! Poor sod.

#4 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:03 AM

he probably paid less than that for the car... long story short do as he says but if it shows it... time to DIY or drop in an r32 engine...

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10924 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:05 PM

You missed this bit...

Just bought a 4 motion for the winter

These cars are cheap enough to just abuse over 6 months and throw away. 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#6 Stevemartin911

Stevemartin911

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Staffs
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:44 PM

Thanks guys for the welcome  errr probably !

unfortunately all older cars soon get to the point it’s not worth repairing, earlier for BMW’s of course ! So it’s a fingers crossed job with the ability for me to use it and sell it on without any large expenditure.

not had much chance to drive it of course with COVID plus being retired I don’t need to go anywhere, had a play today in miserable and found the tyres leaving a lot to be desired so might have to remedy that first.

#7 Stevemartin911

Stevemartin911

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Staffs
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

Miserable conditions 

#8 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

yeah the mk4 likes good brand tires especially the v6 models since they are heavier and the tail likes to breakout if you go fast around corners... but once you've sorted that (new bushes in the suspension and better tires) the car will be a pleasure to chuck about...  although you'll be left wanting more power after a few weeks of chucking it around... just remember the v6 4 motion is a motorway cruiser not a b-road stormer... if you wanted that you picked the wrong engined car...  

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.