OBD scanner for 1999 Golf 1.6 (8v) - VAG Diagnostic Software Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

OBD scanner for 1999 Golf 1.6 (8v)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VWBrit

VWBrit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV 1.6 8v AKL 100PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:53 PM

Hello all,

New User :)

Can you please recommend an OBDII scanner for me? I've tried one hand connector from Amazon, and another USB (bluetooth) with Android but both could not read my car. The scanners worked previously on my other car (2000, 986 Boxster) , but somehow does not recognize Golf? I have an airbag light-on so would like to check the issue (cables under the seats looking normal)

The car is 1999 Golf mk4, 1.6 Auto (8v)

Thanks!

#2 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

VCDS or VAGCOM buy the cable and use a laptop  with a USB port... done... the dongle isn't working because some cars aren't OBDII compliant.. use the before mentioned cables and software and it will work.. 

#3 VWBrit

VWBrit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • London

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:33 PM

VCDS or VAGCOM buy the cable and use a laptop  with a USB port... done... the dongle isn't working because some cars aren't OBDII compliant.. use the before mentioned cables and software and it will work.. 

Thanks! Can you recommend any specific brand? The ones on eBay quite random,  and some have really bad reviews.. could not decide which ones are genuine..

#4 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:53 PM

Most on eBay are clones the real thing is expensive... but to just be able to turn an airbag off just buy the blue see through one that comes with VAGCOM.

Or buy the 50 pound cable that @adam- has a link too it is upgradeable with the latest version of VCDS and works fine according to him...

And since I mentioned him he'll soon put up the link to it.

#5 Blitzerman

Blitzerman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:41 PM

Another vote for VCDS! Ive used both the USB Variant and the new(ish) Wifi HEXNET jobby, both work great, just annoying thing is youll need either to buy an extra wifi adapter so you can code scan and also browse the web at the same time! or just use the cable, but defeats the object really. Cant beat it.

Also AUTEL equipment is great ( i use both). And AFAIK some autel ones are pretty cheap too...

But tbf, cant your local garage scan it and clear it a bit quick? 

If you do go to your local garage, ngl its kinda annoying if you just say thanks and drive off after them clearing it, if you ask how much do i owe? and they say  "ah dont worry about paying". Give them a £5 for the tea fund! 

They'll appreciate it!

#6 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10924 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:07 PM

I'd be getting the normal OBD ones to connect before spending more money on another scanner.  The Boxster one may have been CAN, so you might want to try yours on another Golf before splashing out.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#7 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:11 PM

splashing out?  mate just get the vagcom 4.09 KKL cable with the cracked software of eBay... install the lot on a laptop and be done with it.. they cost around 5 to 10 pounds and will give you all the options the dealer has..  especially since you got a '99 mk4  they are mostly K-line based.  

#8 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10924 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:24 PM

I'm saying if it doesn't work with two scanners just now, don't waste any more money on them until you can get a working known one on a MK4.  

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#9 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:29 PM

And since when doesn't vagcom or vcds not work? Yeah how about always working even the dodgy cracked vcds v12 versions

#10 VWBrit

VWBrit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • London

Posted 27 December 2020 - 01:34 PM

Just tried Autel but that also does not work. I can hear a clock sound on dash while it’s reading but can not recognize.

thanks for the suggestions on VAG and VCD but I have no idea which ones to order? There are loads on eBay and most of them have negative reviews.... I guess I will have to end up paying a local garage to do it...

#11 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

The blue see through vagcom 4.09 cable is the cheapest and will work as it's k-line and canbus compatible... I have used mine on various vw's that are full canbus without a problem with the older 4.09 vagcom... plus it works with vag-k + can commander too using that k-line cable... so you'll have 2 software packages that'll work for around 5 to 10 pounds...

Just make sure you get the one with the FTDI chip and you are good to go

#12 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10924 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 27 December 2020 - 04:02 PM

The blue see through vagcom 4.09 cable is the cheapest and will work as it's k-line and canbus compatible... I have used mine on various vw's that are full canbus without a problem with the older 4.09 vagcom... plus it works with vag-k + can commander too using that k-line cable... so you'll have 2 software packages that'll work for around 5 to 10 pounds...

Just make sure you get the one with the FTDI chip and you are good to go

You're not reading the post.  He has already tried three scanners and NONE connect to his Golf.

#13 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 December 2020 - 04:08 PM

You're not reading the post. He has already tried three scanners and NONE connect to his Golf.

Three scanner amd non of them are vcds or vagcom... generic full obd2 bleutooth dongle and another obd2 scanner, than he tried an autel scanner that didn't connect... it wouldn't connect as his car probably is k-line instead of canbus... especially with his being before 2000...

My gt-tdi was from 1999 and did the exact same with generic scanners not with vagcom or vcds...

Ps mine also worked on my mk3 vr6 but needed to use a converter cable for that wouldn't connect to any other scanner other than oem dealer and the vagcom cable with the converter...

And worst case he could always ask for someone in his town to help him out that has vcds or vagcom

#14 VWBrit

VWBrit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • London

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:09 PM

Thanks guys, I've ordered that blue cable thingy (vagcom 4.09 cable), 5.5 GBP not a big deal if it does not work.

Funny, both Autel and Bluetooth OBC Doc also worked on my other VW (2000 Golf mk4, 1.8 20v 4 motion). The other Golf is a LHD German export though, even the dash is pure German!  :D

#15 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:28 PM

It'll work... vagcom is the older version of VCDS

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.