LED Brake Lights - DIY / How To - D.I.Y Guides and How to Instructions - uk-mkivs

Photo

LED Brake Lights - DIY / How To

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:43 PM

Hi all.

Fit a 1K5 or 1K2 (2W) resistor across the brake light on the bulb carriers (both sides). It can be done on the loom, but this is neater, despite being hard to solder.

https://uk.rs-online..."enabled":true}

These resistors date back to the 1980s, something I had lying around! The capacitors were added for noise suppression as some LED brake lights disrupt FM radio (if channel is weak).

You shouldn't need the capacitors, but be warned, interference can occur.

You will need plumbers flux to break the galvanised / zinc coating on the rigid conductors.

Looks a mess I know, wasn't going for pretty.

You may need to jiggle the carrier about to get it clipped into place with the taller LED lamps.

This stops the 3rd brake light 'major' fault indication where the outer sections of the upper brake light illuminate.

8RvLKpX.jpg

CgNNxHL.jpg

lFvsn2i.jpg

My brakes lights are now a really nice deep bright red, very impressive with the right LED lamps.

Have fun.

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Nik. One for me to copy in the new year
  • NooNoo likes this

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#3 Blitzerman

Blitzerman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:49 PM

Are they brighter than the fog lamp and also position lamps as im assuming the second bulb in your picture is also an LED replacement for the 207 bulb? that was always my concern :/ 

Plus im lazy and like to be able to slip the bulb holders out without removing the (now sealed in) rear lights, which is only just do-able with the bulbs in there as standard... lol.

Also gets some night pics!

#4 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:50 PM

Make sure you buy red LED lamps, the look is fantastic! Not often am I impressed with my mods but this was a good one  :wacko:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#5 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:57 PM

The top is the brake light, 2nd one is indicator. It's a little bit fiddley to get the carrier clipped into place but perfectly doable.

Since this pic, I've replaced the tails lights also, so pretty much all LED at the back.

The brake lights are a little dimmer than the fog but glorious red. The tail lights are white so a light more orange coloured after passing through the lens, a bit too bright if I'm honest.

Sourcing good tail lights is impossible, I wanted red low power, but every seller or website boasts 1000000 lumens.

These changes were made as my car rides so hard the filaments shake loose.

#6 Blitzerman

Blitzerman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:03 PM

Ah that makes sense. Yeah that was my main concern, I didn't want to buy 8 trillion lumen LEDS for every light and have no distinction between them when braking etc.

Ah i see, yeah you done the LED indicator mod job. Very nice!

#7 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:59 PM

Nice work.

Any chance of a picture at night? I know it might not show too good on camera but I'd be interested in seeing the result before I go ahead and do it myself.

#8 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:06 AM

Finding a bright enough red tail/position led is quite hard

I must have bought at least 5 different sets. They are almost always far too bright .

The current set I'm using are about as bright as halogen tail lights , but being red means the tail lights glow a deep red colour which is slightly cool mod.

I've already got led in the indicators thanks to noonoo for modding my hazard switch to accommodate the led bulbs.

Can't wait to do the brake light bulbs next

#9 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:03 AM

Hi Jason, can you share the tail lights you bought? I don't like mine.

Thanks
:)

Will get a pic of the brake lights tonight.

#10 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:10 PM

that actually is a decent job you did and with that you gave me an idea for my daily...  

• NooNoo likes this

#11 mur3633

mur3633

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Podgorica, Montenegro
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:46 PM

Excellent job.
Give us link of LEDs which you bought. Always wanted to put LED in brake light.

#12 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:08 PM

Here's some pics. Colour balance is off, the brake lights are deep red. Tail lights have a orange tint (white LEDs red lens).

yJJj32g.jpg

HuHf4S5.jpg

• mur3633 likes this

#13 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:49 PM

Hi Jason, can you share the tail lights you bought? I don't like mine.

Thanks
:)

Will get a pic of the brake lights tonight.

Sorry, i looked but cannot find it from my eBay bought list. Must have been more than 3 years ago...

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.