#1 Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:05 AM

I know it's impossible to answer really and going to be biased on here but as a long-time member (10 years!) but relatively quiet recent user of the forum I though I'd put it out there....

Beloved 1.9 GT TDI 130 has just passed 250,000

It's also just developed a brake problem with a £400 part (servo) needed.

Turbo is on the way out (got a quote from trusted garage for around £600 all in)

Timing belt due in 6k (about 3/4 months) 

Radiator leaking (slightly - been doing for a while) and could probably DIY so just parts cost)

Minor bits - rear hatch lock dodgy/no boot light, door locks sticking, passenger window reg sounds rough

I love the car (had since 70k) and want to keep it ideally as know my way around and do all regular maintenance myself. Got my set of winter wheels as well and been well loved over the years. Done minor cosmetic "mods" - Recaro rears, debadging, wipers, aerial etc... but £1500 on a 20 year old car seems mad and I think the garage owner agrees. 

He said the new brake part could put pressure elsewhere in the system and cause problems but don't know what you guys think? 

Comes down to:

a) replace the brakes and hope the turbo holds on (currently rattling when take foot off gas but has been for ages) as well as TBelt and just get another few months out of the old boy

b - do the full lot! 

c) break (it'll sit on my drive and have parts sent away over the next 6 months) 

#2 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:18 AM

Buy one with no problems and a full years mot for less... than swap your mods over done.. you can actually go for a less specced model since you can just transfer the lot over from your old car... and good ones can be had for 400 to 600

So I would break it and only sell parts I don't need for the replacement.

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:40 PM

If it were my car, I'd get a second hand servo and turbo and fit those.

Timing belt will be due at some point even if you change to an identical model, just it might be later down the line, but this way you have peace of mind knowing it's definitely done.

Rad should be £40-£50 new and a bottle of coolant - again you'll have peace of mind knowing it should last, the replacement car might need a new one 2k miles down the line.

The minor bits all sound like common mk4 issues, so again, a replacement identical model could need all of those soon enough. And they're definitely stuff I'd be able to live with.

If you break it, you'll have to deal with the time wasters and nonsense queries that come with breaking a car.

So overall, if it were me I'd keep it and get the jobs done, unless you are planning on getting a different model - in which case a good excuse to try something different.

Just my opinion though. Could flip a coin to decide, and if you don't like the outcome then you've probably already decided about it beforehand. 

#4 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11065 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:03 PM

What is the brake problem?  

I've got a MC and passenger door in Glasgow you can just have.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#5 Glendil

Glendil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts
  • Croydon

Posted 25 December 2020 - 12:28 AM

Shame Iv just scrapped my 130 with brake servo on could of had that I do how ever have a very good pd150 turbo up for sale be happy to do it abit cheaper to a forum member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolf gttdi asz 130/200 ish MK4 Golf 1.8t aum running after hard graph

http://GLENDILS 1.8T...DI BUILD THREAD

Genuine ross tech hex+can code mk4 clocks and keys mte lit needles and other adaptions read faults and send in email PM me

#6 used-to-own-a-vr6

used-to-own-a-vr6

??

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 25 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

I've been there with a previous car. It was old and needed lots of mechanical bits sorted. I got them sorted, but a year later rust set in on all arches, further things went wrong (mainly wiring perishing) and I eventually got rid on eBay as spares or repairs. Always regret ploughing money into an old car that isn't a classic or appreciating in value.

Sig_zpslueag4vz.jpg

Mk2 Driver, Mk3 Driver, Mk3 VR6, Mk4 Gti, Mk5 Gti

#7 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:08 PM

I've been there with a previous car. It was old and needed lots of mechanical bits sorted. I got them sorted, but a year later rust set in on all arches, further things went wrong (mainly wiring perishing) and I eventually got rid on eBay as spares or repairs. Always regret ploughing money into an old car that isn't a classic or appreciating in value.

yes it is the reason why i decided to sent mine to the scrappy after i removed the most wanted parts..... now if the bodywork was still okay I would have fixed it but it wasn't... so got rid.... 

#8 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

See I totally understand loving a car, I also understand when its time to quite.

Equally, as already mentioned, brake servos can be picked up super cheap, like 40 quid on ebay cheap. That said it depends on what the brake problem is, could just be a broken hose or bad vacuum valve?

Turbo, I mean a second hand one is a DIY job, a few nuts and bolt, maybe 100 quid second hand on ebay. Depends on how mad you are, but could always look for better performance turbo from china, which will last as unknown as anything else you buy except genuine.

All the minor door lock/latch problems are fairly common on any golf, like 20-30quid for repro parts, I just did the passenger door latch because the switch wasnt working and that was about £18 on ebay. Window mechs complete are about £30 bolt in job.

I think its all relatively cheap, depending on how much you can do yourself, but then its a case of asking yourself how much would it cost to fix vs another car, then with another car how many problem will that have.

I had a mk3 golf years ago that I had for about 9 years, started out stock, I lowered it, rebuilt it and even did a ton of welding that most people would have just scrapped the car, it became a second car and then when I started driving it everyday the syncro went on first gear making it an arse to drive. Gearboxes were a couple of hundred quid if you could get the right one, and it would most likely need more work in the future, coupled with it being thirsty for a 1.8, so I gave up and just sold it on for 400 quid, still miss it some 6 years later because it drove like a go-kart, realistically if I had gone and spent the 600 quid more I did on another car, I probably could have bunged in a TDi engine from a mk4 and carried on loving the car I'd grown up in, but I decided i knew when to quit.

So you have to weigh up whether you love the car that much and how much needs actually doing/when and if another car might be cheaper.

#9 Blitzerman

Blitzerman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:45 PM

Usually i'd tell everyone to scrap usually because the bills rack up fast as you've seen. 
But i'm also rather fond of my car and would usually repair anything that happened to it.

However if you're willing, and able to spare your own time to repair then definitely go down repair route, maybe leave the turbo/ servo to someone else unless you really are wanting to get involved. Maybe repair one thing a month if you can afford it, Ebay parts are unbelievably cheap, also carparts4less are good (and part of eurocarparts, but they wont admit it)

But you are definitely more than capable of tackling the smaller tasks, locks sticking, boot lights etc and there is 101 videos on YouTube to follow along with before you take on the tasks. Probably even the radiator with a bit of patience and time.

I fitted a rear door lock solenoid/ actuator to one the other day, that's a little bit involved, but nothing you couldn't tackle in an afternoon. 

The window regulators are pretty easy, worst bit is the STUPID white cylinders that retain the windows.

Regarding the servo issue as mentioned above, make sure the main pipe that pushes into the servo (looks like the back of a dinner plate with a plastic hose fitted into it) isn't cracking around where it pushes into joiners along the pipe line etc. I know mine is, you can tell this by, when you go out to the car in the morning, before you start or do anything, is the brake pedal rock solid?.

But entirely up to you, if it hasn't gone rusty yet maybe keep at it. Rust is really the main killer.

My next task is going to be replacing the rear axle bushes with Ibiza cupra ones, probably bleed the brakes somewhen as you've reminded me. Then again they haven't been done in a while and run the risk of pushing crap through the seals in the servo and breaking it.. joys. (that doesnt happen if you have a pressure bleeder).

Let us know what you decide!

#10 Killingtime

Killingtime

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:42 PM

If you like the car then keep it and change the parts as they go, not all at once. Try and do some of the work yourself if it's easy for you.

The trick to keeping an older car on the road is to change parts as they go and not just because...

I've seen people buy 5 - 6 year old cars and have to spend 1000's on them because the last owner thrashed it or didn't maintain properly. At least with your car you know the history. That's a big plus.

The parts you're describing are nothing unusual for a worn Golf. My PD150 is on an 03 plate. 185k. Plenty of parts changed there but it's still way cheaper than buying nearly new.

The timing belt is a garage job unless you're skilled. Same for the turbo recon. Not much room to get a spanner in and undo stuff. Bolts seized with rust. It's a skill to undo that lot on an old car without breaking parts IMHO (I have tried...).

Having a second car to use while you get work done makes like so much easier, and cheaper to keep an old car on the road as you can shop around for the work.

#11 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Great Crosby, Lancashire, England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 28 March 2021 - 05:03 AM

Again what is the purpose of this post?

If you own a vehicle and it does what you need and you enjoy it. Spend your money on it.

If you don’t like the car. Don’t spend your money on it.

Who cares “what it’s worth”

If it worth something to you then look after it. If it’s not then scrap it.

• Evil likes this

#12 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Other Models

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:46 AM

Again what is the purpose of this post?

If you own a vehicle and it does what you need and you enjoy it. Spend your money on it.

If you don’t like the car. Don’t spend your money on it.

Who cares “what it’s worth”

If it worth something to you then look after it. If it’s not then scrap it.

I've been going thru a similar dilemma on the wife's 2006 / /127k miles / 5 door, Mk5  - 1.4L.

It's had low usage due to covid, with a resultant duff battery & dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

Local garage have seen this car since 2015 & know Mrs wife is "looking" to upgrade (& has been for last 3 years !), so they hear this & help drive it down to the wire for being a candidate for MOT failure time.

Fed up with their attitude / lack of support, I took it elsewhere & 24hrs & £260, it's MOT'd all faults cleared & a duff wheel bearing / ABS sensor changed / alignment done !

It is tired & lacquer is peeling, but Mrs wife is now swithering, knowing that it's gotta last another year.

It still needs some cosmetic parts that are about £200 (front wing / badge n grille / Fuel Filler flap + solenoid  / pins on boot lid to hold parcel shelf up), but pricing it using Nationwide car-buying services / Dealership 'valuation tools' against a trade in, she'd get offered a whole £380 & that is WITH  a years MOT on it !

So it's down to personal taste - stick with what you know & be happy, or throw caution to the wind & buy someone else's money pit !

993022.png

#13 Snidge

Snidge

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Surrey
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:34 PM

I am looking to gid rid of a 2002 MK4 - it drives well but has a stuck front passenger door. It has served its purpose as a run about fro my daughter at University. The mot is due 1 May 2021. Let me know if it is of interest to anyone... 

I know it's impossible to answer really and going to be biased on here but as a long-time member (10 years!) but relatively quiet recent user of the forum I though I'd put it out there....

Beloved 1.9 GT TDI 130 has just passed 250,000

It's also just developed a brake problem with a £400 part (servo) needed.

Turbo is on the way out (got a quote from trusted garage for around £600 all in)

Timing belt due in 6k (about 3/4 months) 

Radiator leaking (slightly - been doing for a while) and could probably DIY so just parts cost)

Minor bits - rear hatch lock dodgy/no boot light, door locks sticking, passenger window reg sounds rough

I love the car (had since 70k) and want to keep it ideally as know my way around and do all regular maintenance myself. Got my set of winter wheels as well and been well loved over the years. Done minor cosmetic "mods" - Recaro rears, debadging, wipers, aerial etc... but £1500 on a 20 year old car seems mad and I think the garage owner agrees. 

He said the new brake part could put pressure elsewhere in the system and cause problems but don't know what you guys think? 

Comes down to:

a) replace the brakes and hope the turbo holds on (currently rattling when take foot off gas but has been for ages) as well as TBelt and just get another few months out of the old boy

b - do the full lot! 

c) break (it'll sit on my drive and have parts sent away over the next 6 months) 

#14 Glendil

Glendil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts
  • Croydon

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:06 AM

I am looking to gid rid of a 2002 MK4 - it drives well but has a stuck front passenger door. It has served its purpose as a run about fro my daughter at University. The mot is due 1 May 2021. Let me know if it is of interest to anyone...

what’s location and what engine

• Snidge likes this

Bolf gttdi asz 130/200 ish MK4 Golf 1.8t aum running after hard graph

http://GLENDILS 1.8T...DI BUILD THREAD

Genuine ross tech hex+can code mk4 clocks and keys mte lit needles and other adaptions read faults and send in email PM me

#15 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9394 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

The servo issue will probably be a hole in the diaphragm, mine did this. Instead of the nice "squelch" you get when depressing the pedal, you get a fart and continued hiss.

I bought the servo new for £120 direct from VW. It's a damn tricky replacement and there is a special tool IIRC.

As for servo "putting pressure" on other parts of the brake system... ignore that.

With a faulty servo life can be fun, as the servo leaks the vacuum you find yourself with inconsistent brakes, sometimes you have assistance sometimes not!

So, running up to Give Way junctions can be a gentle press or stamp on the brake as hard as you can!

I'm for fixing the car, but I have the same dilemma, a bit fed up with the mk4. It's just well past it's prime.

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#16 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Great Crosby, Lancashire, England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:35 AM

I'm for fixing the car, but I have the same dilemma, a bit fed up with the mk4. It's just well past it's prime.

:Y:

Sounds like your not having fun anymore. Why don’t you either try to realise what made it fun to begin with and repair. Or just scrap and move on?

I’m really enjoying my mk4 still (I’ve never owned another car since 2004) I’m not fed up with it. My relationship with it has got better and better over time. Sure there maybe things that will go wrong more and more. But I see that as a positive challenge because it’s my pride and joy.

Just remember things don’t last forever, unless you look after it that is.

#17 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:20 AM

If you are getting fed up than get rid... sometimes for less you can get another car with less problems... but if you buy from the same time period you will be replacing worn parts on that...

I did that and although there where 2 mk4's available I decided to go with a different brand as cost wise it was cheaper.. and still is today even with me adding leather seats and some other oem mods.
  • Evil likes this

#18 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:43 AM

I'd give it a freshen up, if the cost wasn't prohibitive, and see how I felt after that.

Mk4s are great fun. If we weren't going to have to throw substantially more at ours we'd still have it.
  • northpole likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.