Another mk4 Golf brake bleeding topic... - Suspension, Brakes and Chassis - uk-mkivs

Photo

Another mk4 Golf brake bleeding topic...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TGDTDI

TGDTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Essex
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:07 PM

Long story,so make a cuppa.

If all you need is my solution to get all the air out of the braking system,scroll down to SOLUTION ;)

A friend of mine called me one day,clutch had just gone to the floor.Ok,usual snapped clutch pedal i guess.

Nope,one of the circlips locking the clutch pipes in to the clutch bleed valve had broken in half allowing the pipe going from the bleed valve to the slave cylinder to wobble a little bit,leaking fluid.

Changed the circlip,bled the clutch but now couldn't get the bleed nipple to stay leak free.

Tried three used ones,all working fine in the cars they came from.But once we opened the nipple to bleed the clutch we couldn't get it tight again.

Got a new one,that worked.

However,had low biting point on the clutch and also a very long brake pedal.

Bled the system many times,vacuum,pressure,old school with a friend in the car pressing the brake/clutch,VCDS bleeding procedure followed,master cylinder bled,wheels bled in any kind of sequence you can think of,tried everything we could think of.No improvement.

Googled and googled,but couldn't come up with anything else to try,came across quite a few people that had given up and just lived with it.

Hmm.

SOLUTION.

One day remembered how i bled the brakes on a car about 25 years ago when i was a mechanic.This was,i think,the fairly early days of ABS where we had no way of activating the ABS with diagnostic equipment.

What we used to do was to take the car on to some slippery surface,gravel,wet road,wet grass etc etc.Slam on the brakes a few times and get the ABS to activate.

Did that with my friends Golf,the clutch immediately went back to normal biting point ???

Now the clutch,apart from sharing the the fluid reservoir with the brakes,is a separate system so how did activating the ABS fix the clutch ?

I have absolutely no idea,but it did.The ex-mechanic in me can not figure this one out.

Anyhow,went back to my friends house after activating the ABS,bled the master cylinder again,and hey presto,we had brakes again.

Again,how did activating the ABS get wherever the air was hiding,back to the master cylinder ???

Was there a small air bubble in the master cylinder that wouldn't bleed out until the jerking motion of the ABS wiggled it out to the bleed nipple so we could bleed it out ?

Anyhow,tried everything to bleed your brakes ? Try manually activating the ABS,it certainly worked for us.

Any comments on how this fixed the clutch or why nothing else worked are more than welcome,every day is a school day and this one is buggering me so i'm open to all ideas...

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10924 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

Magic.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 TGDTDI

TGDTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Essex

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:47 PM

Haha,yeah i'm tempted to think the same...

#4 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 11 January 2021 - 12:41 AM

A mechanic also told me to give that abs trick a go last year and it sure worked. Made the long travel pedal go completely.

So yeh I cant figure it out either as I too tried bleeding the brakes in all ways possible.

Surely the vagcom process should do it too. But I guess we are all doing something wrong

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#5 TGDTDI

TGDTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Essex

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:21 PM

Yes we tried the vagcom process 3-4 times without any improvement. Maybe we just got lucky ?

Just thought i'd share what helped us in the end as there seem to be a lot of people out there with the same problem.

#6 TGDTDI

TGDTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Essex

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:22 PM

Yes we tried the vagcom process 3-4 times without any improvement. Maybe we just got lucky ?

Just thought i'd share what helped us in the end as there seem to be a lot of people out there with the same problem.

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10924 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:40 AM

Aye well worth the share! :) 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#8 TGDTDI

TGDTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Essex

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

Yep,seems like there;s a lot of people out there with this problem so thought i'd better share our solution.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.