10 replies to this topic

#1 san1tyy

san1tyy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

Hello, I recently got an MK4 1.9 TDI AHF but it was with the old beaten up 4 spoke steering wheel so I got really cheap 3 spoke steering wheel + airbag + cable from Seat Leon (mk1)/Toledo(mk2) 2003.So my question is can I direct swap my old 4 spoke with that Seat 3 spoke directly? Sorry if my question sounds dumb or if it was asked already, thanks in advance!

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

Should be fine aye.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 san1tyy

san1tyy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

Should be fine aye.

I guess we will understand tomorrow when I swap them then :D I will update the thread if someone needs info about it in future.

#4 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:03 PM

It will physically bolt up.  There may be some small wiring variations.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#5 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50170 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:28 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section,they really are very easy to find.

#6 san1tyy

san1tyy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

It will physically bolt up.  There may be some small wiring variations.

Well, the connector looked 1:1 with the old one but after connecting and reconnecting the battery the horn was going on 24/7. I suspect that the steering wheel airbag is faulty any ideas

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:51 PM

You've wired it wrong.  One spade goes on the body of the wheel, the other on the airbag portion.

#8 san1tyy

san1tyy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:30 PM

You've wired it wrong.  One spade goes on the body of the wheel, the other on the airbag portion.

I think the horn cables are alright tho? Here some pics: https://imgur.com/a/m3LoZbd also something else that I found is that the rivets holding the airbag on the cover are missing and it is being held only by the 4 nuts. Could someting else went wrong?

#9 san1tyy

san1tyy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

I can take photos of the back of the airbag if you want too

#10 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

When you press the horn the black and brown wires connect.  You'll have to check out where it pivots and how that connection is made.  If the horn is sounding all the time, the horn section isn't pivoting.

#11 san1tyy

san1tyy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

When you press the horn the black and brown wires connect.  You'll have to check out where it pivots and how that connection is made.  If the horn is sounding all the time, the horn section isn't pivoting.

Yea once you move the key it starts the horn, I will play with it tomorrow again but I am still thinking that someting is off under the cover of the airbag since they manipulated it at some point I dont see any other reason for the rivets to be removed. Maybe it is shroting there I guess. I will jump to nearby junkyard to see if there are any other three spokes and to take a new bolt since I used mine 5 times by now and god knows if someone else have used it before.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.