#1 XDGFX

XDGFX

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:31 PM

Hi all,

I have a pretty solid mk4 1.6, that for quite a while I've been fantasising about engine swapping it. Only now with enough no claims and experience the insurance has actually made that feasible, and with the current climate an extra project is always a welcome one :)

I've always had my eye on a 1.8T, but I would love to get some ideas from you guys! The main thing that's putting me off is the fuel economy. Although I don't drive much now, my only other car is a WRX which doesn't get great mileage either, and it might be nice to have something to drive long distance in. So I was looking at maybe a TDI 130 or similar. Buuut, I imagine the swap is much more complex from petrol > diesel, as well as possibly more hassle with the DVLA.

This is probably a good point to add a disclaimer: yes, I know you should never build a car yourself that the factory already did. However, I doubt I will ever get rid of my Golf for sentimental reasons, and I'm also the sort of person that likes to do everything themselves. An engine swap would be a great learning experience, and another tool under the metaphorical belt.

So, what would you recommend? I'm open for some crazy suggestions, but this is also my first engine swap, so will likely end up with something fairly straightforward... and cheap ;)

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

I'm not sure what age you are and how confident you are in the mechanical sense.  When I was 18 I asked the same question regarding a Polo and swapping in an older motor with carbs.  I was told on the forum by most that it wasn't possible, wouldn't pass an MOT (never an issue), and gave me loads of reasons why I couldn't do it.  They also told me I couldn't retrofit electric windows or central locking and I did it all.  

Cue me at 18 with a 1.0 MPI (registered) as a 1.4 AFH with a 1.6 8v crank and 16 16v pistons and CBR600 carbs.  All done on a driveway on my own.  

I bought a 20v at 21 and I've had that since.  Now going VR6 Turbo.  

For me though, a swap as boring as a 1.4 to a TDI is not worth the grief.  You'll likely have some hackery on the one you have just now, and a fresh base always pleases me more.  I've done plenty to shells I regret later and would rather start again.  Swapping is easy as long as you stay within the same year range.  <2000 is immo2/not CAN and >2001 is immo3/CAN.  Electrics changed mostly here.  

If you're serious, sell yours to a kid, buy a PD130 and use that.  For doing long distances in, I'd keep the WRX and loose the MK4 entirely.  They're not exciting for long drives.  

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 XDGFX

XDGFX

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:26 PM

I'm not sure what age you are and how confident you are in the mechanical sense.  When I was 18 I asked the same question regarding a Polo and swapping in an older motor with carbs.  I was told on the forum by most that it wasn't possible, wouldn't pass an MOT (never an issue), and gave me loads of reasons why I couldn't do it.  They also told me I couldn't retrofit electric windows or central locking and I did it all.  

Cue me at 18 with a 1.0 MPI (registered) as a 1.4 AFH with a 1.6 8v crank and 16 16v pistons and CBR600 carbs.  All done on a driveway on my own.  

I bought a 20v at 21 and I've had that since.  Now going VR6 Turbo.  

For me though, a swap as boring as a 1.4 to a TDI is not worth the grief.  You'll likely have some hackery on the one you have just now, and a fresh base always pleases me more.  I've done plenty to shells I regret later and would rather start again.  Swapping is easy as long as you stay within the same year range.  <2000 is immo2/not CAN and >2001 is immo3/CAN.  Electrics changed mostly here.  

If you're serious, sell yours to a kid, buy a PD130 and use that.  For doing long distances in, I'd keep the WRX and loose the MK4 entirely.  They're not exciting for long drives.  

I'm pretty confident mechanically, any work needed doing on my cars I've done myself where possible. I also had a placement designing racecar engines ;) But my main limitation is resources - this would all be done on a friends drive, and welding is something I haven't had the chance to learn yet.

Thanks for the heads up on year range, mine is a drive-by-wire and understand I should find another drive-by-wire, hadn't considered anything past that but if I get a donor car would likely swap everything anyway.

I'm suprised you suggest a WRX for long drives, my WRX is only a couple of years newer and feels way less refined than the Golf. More fun to blast around B roads, but louder and less comfortable on the motorway.

#4 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50170 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:28 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section,they really are very easy to find.

#5 XDGFX

XDGFX

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:44 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section,they really are very easy to find.

My bad, thank you

#6 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

I'm pretty confident mechanically, any work needed doing on my cars I've done myself where possible. I also had a placement designing racecar engines ;) But my main limitation is resources - this would all be done on a friends drive, and welding is something I haven't had the chance to learn yet.

Thanks for the heads up on year range, mine is a drive-by-wire and understand I should find another drive-by-wire, hadn't considered anything past that but if I get a donor car would likely swap everything anyway.

I'm suprised you suggest a WRX for long drives, my WRX is only a couple of years newer and feels way less refined than the Golf. More fun to blast around B roads, but louder and less comfortable on the motorway.

What's your placement in?  I did Mech Eng.

IMO it's not worth swapping, but crack on.  I meant get rid of the MK4 and buy a tourer or similar.  Long drives is motorway, not B roads.  WRX is for a B road?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#7 XDGFX

XDGFX

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:32 PM

What's your placement in?  I did Mech Eng.

IMO it's not worth swapping, but crack on.  I meant get rid of the MK4 and buy a tourer or similar.  Long drives is motorway, not B roads.  WRX is for a B road?

Mech Eng here too. I won't say exactly where I worked but you will definitely know the team. It was especially good because the engine design department was so small, so I had a lot of responsibility.

Yeah I see your point, but as mentioned I don't think I will get rid of the Golf. Certainly not for the forseeable future anyway. So in my mind it's a question of keeping it as a 1.6, or doing something more interesting while it's possible. I've been looking through a lot of old threads and it seems like GTIs are rising in price from a few years ago. Not sure if that's because of the pandemic, or a general trend however.

#8 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:32 AM

I was quite attached to my Polo but for me the Golf is just a piece of metal.  Quite happy to scrap/replace/swap until its right.

#9 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10175 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:26 PM

mate chop the golf in and bag yourself an audi TT mk 1.8t 225 with quattro and you'll be  laughing your head off... especially if they have a gearbox problem which can easily be solved with removing the pop rivets and put bolts in their place... means you just pull the gearbox, replace the rivets with bolts ( you can actually buy the kit of eBay) and you'll be laughing all the way home...  yes people are picking them up at stupid low prices the lowest i have seen is 300 pounds, the highest (and still cheap as chips) was 600 

saves you a whole load of headache and can be sold on if you've fixed the gearbox problem at 4  to 5  times the initial buying price.   

#10 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

And you can do perms on the side.

#11 [email protected] FLUX

[email protected] FLUX

Advertisers

• Advertisers
  • 409 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:09 PM

Hi.

If you do need any help with insurance at all for an engine swap then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

#12 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:02 AM

Flux are excellent FWIW.

#13 XDGFX

XDGFX

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:56 AM

Hi.

If you do need any help with insurance at all for an engine swap then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks Dan, I'm already with Adrian Flux for my Subaru, and so far you guys are the best quote for the Golf as well :)

#14 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10175 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:56 AM

And you can do perms on the side.

agreed.. but i would put a crazy jap-style widebody kit on it that takes away the hairdresser look...  than beef up the engine to match that crazy drift look  

something similar to this but not in that colour: 

143687849a43fc74d9c3ed10cacee0a2.jpg

actually i would add a lot more to this including a crazy high rise rear spoiler... 

but yeah the hairdresser look is gone! and because it's a mk1 tt it doesn't need to be nice looking, mean ricer look will do  B)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.