#1 jayartibee

jayartibee

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • ludlow
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 10v 150PS

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

V5 10V - 2000: battery is knackered but strangely seems the wrong size. 

Specs say it should be 096 - but the one which is dead is 065

096 seems correct as 065 spec says it has Jap terminals

Have I got this correct and 096 is the right one?

#2 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50170 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:42 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section.

#3 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4535 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:46 PM

The 3 digit code relates to the physical size of the battery the connections and the hold down arrangement.
The only difference between the two is the size.
065 L242xW175xH175
096 L278xW175xH190

You will get variations between brands and also whether its an Economy or premuim quality battery on the capacity measured in Ampere hours (Ah) and Cold cranking amperage (CCA).
As a rough rule of thumb the larger batter would have higher figures and will tend to be fitted to diesel vehicles kwhich generally need a higher CCA to start, oarticularly in winter and higher range models, with more electrical equuipment which need a higher Ah capacity to run more equipment for longer.
Golfs have a battery tray/box that will accept both sizes so just visit any car battery suppliers website and type in the vehicle battery and they will give the size appropriate for your car.
My 07 1.9Tdi Match specifies the 096 size.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

#4 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4535 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:47 PM

The 3 digit code relates to the physical size of the battery the connections and the hold down arrangement.
The only difference between the two is the size.
065 L242xW175xH175
096 L278xW175xH190

You will get variations between brands and also whether its an Economy or premuim quality battery on the capacity measured in Ampere hours (Ah) and Cold cranking amperage (CCA).
As a rough rule of thumb the larger batter would have higher figures and will tend to be fitted to diesel vehicles kwhich generally need a higher CCA to start, particularly in winter and higher range models, with more electrical equuipment which need a higher Ah capacity to run more equipment for longer.
Golfs have a battery tray/box that will accept both sizes so just visit any car battery suppliers website and type in the vehicle battery and they will give the size appropriate for your car.
My 07 1.9Tdi Match specifies the 096 size.

#5 jayartibee

jayartibee

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • ludlow
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 10v 150PS

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

It's definitely 096 - thanks. The guy in town was adamant.

should never have been fitted with the small one - a 2.3 deserves the larger battery. 

• gerrywac likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.