Stuck removing the turbo inlet pipe on a MK4 PD150 TDi - Engine, Tuning and Performance - uk-mkivs

Photo

Stuck removing the turbo inlet pipe on a MK4 PD150 TDi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Killingtime

Killingtime

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

I'm attempting to remove the inlet manifold on a MK4 PD150 so I can remove carbon build up. The issue is, the bolts holding it onto the cylinder head are hidden behind 1) the turbo inlet pipe and 2) the EGR heat exchanger.

I've taken a picture:  images2.imgbox.com/a3/1a/sPLWrxLx_o.jpg

The first pipe to remove is the one supplying the turbo inlet. The problem is it's held onto the turbo with a spring clip and there is no room to get a hand in, let alone any pliers to compress the clip.

The arrow in the picture below points to the clip.

images2.imgbox.com/a7/39/4As6NqhB_o.jpg

I don't have a ramp or pit and cannot get under the car, so how do you remove the clip?

Even if I could jack the car up, the clip ends face the engine block sideways and not downwards, so there's no room to get pliers in there.

Thanks.

#2 Killingtime

Killingtime

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

Well, this one beat me. I can see how it would be easy if you had the engine out of the car at the factory, or if you had the car on a ramp with some special tool (there's more room from underneath).

The PD150 has the EGR intercooler that other models don't have and it covers the inlet manifold bolts. There would be just enough room to get a small wrench in there without the intercooler. No need to take the inlet pipe off. I tried removing the intercooler, but couldn't get the exhaust bolts off. 17 years of rust. They're downward facing as well. Another underside job that's easier with a ramp...

#3 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:16 AM

Worth investing in drive on ramps.  Not ideal doing this when it's -4 outside though.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#4 ct.p

ct.p

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3955 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:52 PM

You need a set of these, they are very useful....

https://www.ebay.co....r-/151765705242

#5 Killingtime

Killingtime

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

Yep, looks useful.

Thanks.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.