Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Great Crosby, Lancashire, England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

Hi Guys the inevitable has happened and I have got my drivers door shut and it wont open from the inside or outside!

This happened whilst changing my door lock module (due to it being a bit off) I fitted the new one and shut the door, now it wont open from inside or outside!

Not been in this situation and I really need help. 

I have managed to take the door card off whilst door is shut inside the car, before I go any further to take off the metal plate on the door, I am asking is this worth it? Or is there another way?

Cheers hope someone can help me with this horrible situation I am in, I feel sick!

#2 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

Long story and learning short....

If you can’t open your drivers door from the inside or outside you need to pull the outside handle and get a thin flat head screwdriver and prise away the tiny black plastic clip that is on a wire away from the door handle. Then from the inside you can pull the interior handle and the door will open.

I saw loads of ideas and this seemed to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:51 AM

Looks like you've had too much tension on that external clip.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#4 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:04 AM

Looks like you've had too much tension on that external clip.

According to my research Adam this is “normal” and is one of the ways to release the natural tension. The reason the “new lock” (I say new but it was second hand) didn’t work was because it was so old it had accumulated dust, rust and needed greasing. To which I have done this and it now works.

The thing is I have about 6 spare lock modules and not one of them works properly. More learning suggests you must make sure you have the right lock module for your car. You can’t use any mk4 drivers door as there are different model numbers.

Anyway long story short I got my money back on the second hand lock and ended up forking out £150 on a new one from VW and it’s arriving today.

For anyone doing this (if people still have mk4s anymore?) I would simply recommend going to VW TPS and buying a new one. Forget second hand ones they are too much trouble - that said I actually enjoy the investigation work behind it! This is coming from a man who is no mechanic and has done this about 10 or more times during the past 18 years! Buy new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • JustBaron likes this

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:13 AM

The Chinese ones are okay.  Not sure how you set it up, but you should just push it in under no tension.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#6 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

I have tried those too, no good for me, they even sound different when unlocking / locking. I'm very particular.

The Chinese ones are okay.  Not sure how you set it up, but you should just push it in under no tension.

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10983 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:24 AM

The MK4 had two colours from memory, one was quieter than the other.

#8 JustBaron

JustBaron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Bora V6 4motion 2.8 24v 204PS

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:38 PM

Anyway long story short I got my money back on the second hand lock and ended up forking out £150 on a new one from VW and it’s arriving today.

For anyone doing this (if people still have mk4s anymore?) I would simply recommend going to VW TPS and buying a new one. Forget second hand ones they are too much trouble - that said I actually enjoy the investigation work behind it! This is coming from a man who is no mechanic and has done this about 10 or more times during the past 18 years! Buy new!

Good to know, my drivers door lock module on my Bora has just failed (probably due to the freezing weather and too much force trying to open it).

Was quoted £200 for a TPS replacement but might go to VW to see if it's any cheaper.  

#9 ypvs

ypvs

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • N Cambs
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:22 PM

You can get door lock modules from eaby with a five year warranty for less than £30. I've used the  Mk5 version and still going strong after 3 years. Some wag mentioned that 5 years is longer than the expectancy of a Mk 4

The seller is RTG Automotive (rtgroup11)

Someone took my advice last october and I have not had any abusive mail so I assume they were happy.

• JustBaron likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.