#1 Brazzerie

Brazzerie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Macclesfield, UK
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AGR 90PS

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

The clutch pedal on my Golf TDi 1.9 has started making a squeaking noise when I press it. I've tried squirting WD40 into the hole in the floor where the pedal goes through (no idea what's under there!) but that made no difference. Any ideas anyone?

#2 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10187 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

Those are the signs of a soon to break pedal... look it up.. the fix is simple but I would replace the master clutch cylinder behind the pedal that way you know that you won't have to look at it again any time soon.

And although it isn't an expensive job the space available to do it makes it kind of a pita....

#3 Brazzerie

Brazzerie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Macclesfield, UK

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:43 PM

Those are the signs of a soon to break pedal... look it up.. the fix is simple but I would replace the master clutch cylinder behind the pedal that way you know that you won't have to look at it again any time soon.

And although it isn't an expensive job the space available to do it makes it kind of a pita....

Thanks any gues how long (at leat and at most) I might get before it breaks? It only started squeaking recently.

#4 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10187 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:25 PM

it can happen at any moment, but like i said it can be fixed with a simple spot weld, i would seam weld it though, stops it from ever happening again.  especially since it just started...  just don't ride the clutch pedal at the moment. the less you use it the less chance of it giving away soon... 

if you own a stick welder however just take the time to take those panels off where the pedals are and just weld it the little plate on... but it is best to take the pedal off and seam weld it, it makes for a stronger connection that won't give up again....  VW spot welded it and that is why at a certain point it breaks off.. 

the creaking noise is the give away that it'll soon go as there is a spring that is kept in place by that little plate. 

up to you how you deal with it, you could always just get one of a scrappy, seem weld that and than replace the lot, or if it doesn't show any signs of rust or cracks just put it straight on... I seam welded mine as the plate was still on it and only had cracked loose  

#5 Brazzerie

Brazzerie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Macclesfield, UK

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

it can happen at any moment, but like i said it can be fixed with a simple spot weld, i would seam weld it though, stops it from ever happening again.  especially since it just started...  just don't ride the clutch pedal at the moment. the less you use it the less chance of it giving away soon... 

if you own a stick welder however just take the time to take those panels off where the pedals are and just weld it the little plate on... but it is best to take the pedal off and seam weld it, it makes for a stronger connection that won't give up again....  VW spot welded it and that is why at a certain point it breaks off.. 

the creaking noise is the give away that it'll soon go as there is a spring that is kept in place by that little plate. 

up to you how you deal with it, you could always just get one of a scrappy, seem weld that and than replace the lot, or if it doesn't show any signs of rust or cracks just put it straight on... I seam welded mine as the plate was still on it and only had cracked loose  

Brill - thanks!

• northpole likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.