01274 Air Flow Flap Positioning motor (V71) Faulty VW Golf Air Con - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo

01274 Air Flow Flap Positioning motor (V71) Faulty VW Golf Air Con

Best Answer Sean161 , 07 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

Today I have replaced the faulty motor (positioning switch) picture enclosed of the actual item replaced (1J2907511A).

If you are like me and want everything working and enjoy a good fiddle then I recommend this job, as I felt rewarded in the end!

With the car centre console in bits, and glove box off (you need to remove all the centre console parts; where the handbrake / ashtray are).

Finally you will come to the blower heater, I removed this too, to see the positioning flaps, and understand how they work.

The hardest part of the job was removing and then re-attaching the replacement motor part (1J2907511A) as its a tight space to work in. There are some thick bundle of wires, and I cable tied these up to gain more room for my hand and sore wrists.

To fit it, is quite hard to explain, and you kind of wish you had "3 hands", the way I did it was to press the recirculation button on the Climatronic whilst pushing in the motor (1J2907511A) to the flaps, and feeling it 'click' and then you can see the flap moving. There are 2 flaps this motor 'positions' and I found the one you attached the black (thinner) part easier than the white (thicker) part to the positioning flaps.

I played around for a good couple hours just making sure they position correctly by pressing the recirculation switch time and time again. Then when i was happy i screwed up the motor (1J2907511A) back up again, then tested a few times to ensure it was working.

I indeed had a faulty motor that didn't seem to work at all. The replacement (1J2907511A) I used was a second hand eBay part for about £15. VW wanted something like £205 plus VAT (just for the part). To be honest for peace of mind I would of paid this (after experiencing so many faulty door lock modules). I am happy and confident the second hand £15 part will work just fine though. I did test it with the existing wire to check it was working before I fitted.

There you go, hope this helps someone who has this error, I didn't want to open up a post and not finish it.

Sean

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Great Crosby, Lancashire, England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:42 AM

I always thought my climatronic has worked fine and still does however the following code was found when my garage cleared an air bag scan / misfire too.

Thing is, is it worth doing anything with since the car warms and cools anyway? Still if need be I’d be interested to give this a go if it’s fixable?

Cheers Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:10 PM

Pretty common to go wrong on climatronic MK4 golfs

.if it works ok then just leave it alone.

It's not fun trying to get to the v71 motor , and new ones are like over 200quid from VW or something stupid.

Ten years ago they were like 70odd quid
  • Sean161 likes this

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#3 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • Finland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:09 AM

V71 is the air circulation flap motor. You can check the values using VCDS to see it is opening and closing. It is also possible to see with the filter out from the cowling if I am not mistaken. I think a common problem is a cogwheel get cracked.

If it is stuck closed, you will not get fresh air into cabin. If it is stuck open, you may have lower cooling power in a hot day as climatronic tries to re-circulate the inside air to be able to quickly reduce temperatures inside cabin. Obviously also it means it will stay open when you want it closed...

You can find cheap replica from China. But they have inferior internals and I think nobody knows how long they last.

https://www.aliexpre...Text=1J1907511A

So it is up to you if you want to replace it or not...I am not sure how easy to replace it on RHD vehicles. but on LHD it is behind glovebox.

http://evren-yurtese...ature-flap.html

#4 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:46 PM

It's behind the glovebox on both LHD and RHD cars. It's a PITA to get to. And yes, it is normally the small plastic cog which breaks and it just makes this clicking noise as it tries to open/close the flap. (Even if you aren't using the recirc function!) Mine's been broken for years and is just left unplugged. Can't be doing with the hassle and have never needed to use it since.

For now, don't use the recirculate function. Best thing to do is to check the flap underneath the pollen filter and make sure it's set to the 'open' position. If you don't, when you run the air con it will make your passenger footwell soaking wet thinking you've blown the matrix. Then you can fix it at your leisure. 

• Sean161 likes this

#5 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:43 PM

Thanks guys,

Although I said I have no issues with my climatronic today I pressed the recirculate button and it doesn’t make a noise anymore so I can only assume this little motor has failed in some way. I vaguely remember hearing something “move” and this must be the opening and closing of the fresh air flap?

If I was to investigate further and take out the glove box one thing I’m uncertain is the location of Themis motor part, on a right hand drive (uk) Vw golf is the part located left or right side of the glove box I.e near the door or the centre console?

I understand it is difficult to get too, but don’t mind having a mess about.

Is the part number 1J1907511A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:09 PM

It's near the door side of the glovebox.

• Sean161 likes this

#7 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

Is the part number 1J1907511A

The part number for UK right hand Drive is actually 1J2907511A

#8 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:10 PM   Best Answer

Today I have replaced the faulty motor (positioning switch) picture enclosed of the actual item replaced (1J2907511A).

If you are like me and want everything working and enjoy a good fiddle then I recommend this job, as I felt rewarded in the end!

With the car centre console in bits, and glove box off (you need to remove all the centre console parts; where the handbrake / ashtray are).

Finally you will come to the blower heater, I removed this too, to see the positioning flaps, and understand how they work.

The hardest part of the job was removing and then re-attaching the replacement motor part (1J2907511A) as its a tight space to work in. There are some thick bundle of wires, and I cable tied these up to gain more room for my hand and sore wrists.

To fit it, is quite hard to explain, and you kind of wish you had "3 hands", the way I did it was to press the recirculation button on the Climatronic whilst pushing in the motor (1J2907511A) to the flaps, and feeling it 'click' and then you can see the flap moving. There are 2 flaps this motor 'positions' and I found the one you attached the black (thinner) part easier than the white (thicker) part to the positioning flaps.

I played around for a good couple hours just making sure they position correctly by pressing the recirculation switch time and time again. Then when i was happy i screwed up the motor (1J2907511A) back up again, then tested a few times to ensure it was working.

I indeed had a faulty motor that didn't seem to work at all. The replacement (1J2907511A) I used was a second hand eBay part for about £15. VW wanted something like £205 plus VAT (just for the part). To be honest for peace of mind I would of paid this (after experiencing so many faulty door lock modules). I am happy and confident the second hand £15 part will work just fine though. I did test it with the existing wire to check it was working before I fitted.

There you go, hope this helps someone who has this error, I didn't want to open up a post and not finish it.

Sean

Attached Files

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.