DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:09 AM

Don't know if anyone's been paying attention, but admin may wanna make this a pinned topic.

Standard petrol is switching over in September 2021 from E5 to E10. Some of our cars aren't going to be compatible with it. For the mk4 cars, if you have brought the following poverty spec because you wanted to spend your cash on other things, then go back to your Autotrader/Scumtree/Fleabay/where ever and prepare for death buy yourself something better...

• 1.6L Bora FSI (Saloon & Estate variants) built from Oct 2001 until Sep 2005
  • 1.6L Golf FSI (Hatchback & Estate variants) built from Nov 2001 until May 2004

You'll still be able to get E5 but it will be premium only. (VPower/whatever super-duper BP, Esso, etc have already). For everyone else though, it will be fine with your mk4 as most VW engines have been able to run on E10 since 1992.

If you want to check out other cars you own or want to buy, go here: 

https://check-vehicl...k/manufacturer/

Couldn't care less? 

...that'll be a TDi owner then!  ;)

Edited by DerPanzerWagen, 02 March 2021 - 02:13 AM.

• gerrywac and superchickenn like this

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11058 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:55 AM

There aren't many FSI MK4s anyway.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10280 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:02 AM

nope but just think owning one and having to tank premium fuel all the time... which doesn't make it any faster or give you considerably more range... it'll run better though but that is about it...  and there are a few more cars that can't run on it without causing considerable engine damage after a few months of running it... 

#4 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Wales

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:59 PM

There aren't many FSI MK4s anyway.

Yeah, most were mk5.

nope but just think owning one and having to tank premium fuel all the time... which doesn't make it any faster or give you considerably more range... it'll run better though but that is about it... 

I know! That's just what I was thinking too.  :lol-lol:

#5 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:16 PM

The early fsi engines were originally supposed to be run on 97/98 Ron only , otherwise they suffer burnt/cracked valves.

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#6 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11058 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:46 AM

The early fsi engines were originally supposed to be run on 97/98 Ron only , otherwise they suffer burnt/cracked valves.

It's the ethanol that kills them - at boundary conditions it eats the aluminium/injector parts.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#7 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:02 AM

It's the ethanol that kills them - at boundary conditions it eats the aluminium/injector parts.

Yes when they switch over to E10.

I was talking about damage caused by using 95ron fuel on fsi engines as they were designed to be always run on 97ron

#8 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10280 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:24 PM

long story short but that is just a crappy engine design... a car should be made to be able to run of regular  ron95 without it causing engine damage...

#9 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:21 AM

long story short but that is just a crappy engine design... a car should be made to be able to run of regular ron95 without it causing engine damage...

Off. It's off, not of.

Off is like 50 percent off sale price.

Of is like , Queen of England

Sorry but so many people get of and off wrong and it's easy to get right if you follow the above.

But yes I agree, it's a stupid engine, but it was the 1st generation of new technology (FSI) so they it's never gonna be perfect .

It was supposed to be fuel efficient, low emissions and good torque. When it came out there was loads of talk about the FSI technology. Didn't last long as they quickly went over to twin charged and turbo charging for the next generation of engines.

#10 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10280 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:20 AM

Off. It's off, not of.

Off is like 50 percent off sale price.

Of is like , Queen of England

Sorry but so many people get of and off wrong and it's easy to get right if you follow the above.

But yes I agree, it's a stupid engine, but it was the 1st generation of new technology (FSI) so they it's never gonna be perfect.

It was supposed to be fuel efficient, low emissions and good torque. When it came out there was loads of talk about the FSI technology. Didn't last long as they quickly went over to twin charged and turbo charging for the next generation of engines.

thanks for the correction... now you might think i'm English but i'm not... i'm Dutch and speak 7 languages, read and write 4  plus i don't think in English nor Dutch for that matter (even though i can sit down and write a complete essay in all 4 of them like you easily can in your English)   ... maybe now you understand that i couldn't careless about my little hickup... you got the message. 

let me pull you up on your mistake made in your reply:

But yes I agree, it's a stupid engine, but it was the 1st generation of new technology (FSI) so they it's never gonna be perfect .

it should be: so they won't ever be perfect or they are never gonna be perfect

Ask me if i care? No I don't... it just means I don't need your lessons. 

back on topic: it's not just the engine design it's the use of materials that are causing the problem, nothing they didn't know about before they engineered the engine...  that is what i dislike about it... and for a big concern like VAG with all their smart ideas across all of the brands this is almost as bad as diesel-gate in my eyes...  luckily it's just the 1.6 FSI that is effected and maybe  an engine swap will be the answer for those cars... 

• superchickenn likes this

#11 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:42 AM

You couldn't care less about your mix up.

That sums it up really...

Rather than learning from it you seek to make excuses

Speaking a million languages doesn't mean you can't learn from a mistake. Take it as a polite correction , I'm not a grammar nazi, far from it.

Or continue on using of and off incorrectly , who gives a to55 right? And woo how dare I correct your mistake right?

Sums up the way of social media really.

The way you rant on about people teaching you is frankly boring . You are argumentative on so many threads on this forum, I often just skip past your comments because it's just a long rant in many cases

#12 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Wales

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:41 PM

@Gti Fly

There was really no need for all that. We all got the gist of what @northpole was saying. Leave your Grammar Nazi in your head next time and not plastered all over our posts.

Ta.  

#13 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11058 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:22 PM

You guys.  :wub:

• Mmalkie and superchickenn like this

#14 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10280 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:58 AM

Rather than learning from it you seek to make excuses

Or continue on using of and off incorrectly , who gives a to55 right? And woo how dare I correct your mistake right?

You probably didn't get the fact that I didn't check my spelling yet you thought i don't understand the difference between OF and OFF...I do, so I didn't need a lesson... Ever heard of a typo? That is a prime example. And the reason I don't care, is because it doesn't change the message in the slightest. And to not sound like a know-it-all, I called it a mix-up, since i pulled you up on your grammar mistake... no one is perfect, but do i care about that? No i don't. 

And about that how dare you correct me ? Dude grow up. It's the reason why i said i don't care... did you get the message? good! Now let's be done with this... as you can see from the replies above the message was clear with said typo. 

#15 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Great Crosby, Lancashire, England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:02 PM

I thought this site was better than twitter?

#16 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50197 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:30 PM

Topic locked.Why don't you lot just play conkers or something to settle this?

• Sean161 and Mmalkie like this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.