• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 leemcalbanicoll

leemcalbanicoll

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

Going to do timing belt early as think i got most parts maybe need some single use bolts.
Got belt (conti_tech), tensioner & nut(litens) deflector pulley & nut , metal propeller water pump (circoli) v belt tensioner (litens), thermostat (circoli) 2 x bottles of g13 & 2.5 litres of distilled water,
Will i need crank auxiliary pulley bolts x4 or they reusable? also don't have any engine mount bolts are these needed I've got blue locktite if any of these can be re-used.
Don't have engine jig either so will be jack under engine but i have got a timing lock tool.
Cant seem to locate a good guide for atd engine & is Haynes manual ok to follow or will i need elsawin manual?
Last question should i run vcds on anything before carrying out service read something about torsion value or something or is this done afterwards to check in time?
Any tips & hints appreciated i have done a belt on a old astra gte like 18 years ago when water pump failed doing a burnout, required some new tappets & valves on that occasion

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

#2 rxs_tdi

rxs_tdi

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

I have done this a few times on my AJM engine but not sure if the ATD is the same.

Mine has the hydraulic tensioner assembly and I replace it and also replace the stud on which the tensioner is mounted as this has been known to snap. The engine mounting bolts are meant to be single use and should be replaced - there is a specific way of torquing them according to Elsawin and I do not know if the Haynes manual gives the same detail.

It is a bit of a fiddle to get the engine mount bolts out as you need to jack the engine up and down to get the clearance.
  • leemcalbanicoll likes this

#3 leemcalbanicoll

leemcalbanicoll

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

I have done this a few times on my AJM engine but not sure if the ATD is the same.

Mine has the hydraulic tensioner assembly and I replace it and also replace the stud on which the tensioner is mounted as this has been known to snap. The engine mounting bolts are meant to be single use and should be replaced - there is a specific way of torquing them according to Elsawin and I do not know if the Haynes manual gives the same detail.

It is a bit of a fiddle to get the engine mount bolts out as you need to jack the engine up and down to get the clearance.

Think i can get elsawin pages from online, is it all the engine mount bolts or just ones into block?
The 4 pulley bolts are ok to re-use then, not sure mine has the hydraulic tensioner think those are on the 90 & 110 will find out soon enough going to start it Tuesday & have plenty of time so wont be rushed.
Yeah the haynes manual can be abit sketchy sometimes as i found setting handbrake adjustment through Haynes method didn't work quite right lol.
Thanks for the tip on tensioner stud never crossed my mind to replace that & guess that would be vw only

#4 rxs_tdi

rxs_tdi

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:34 PM

Can not remember exactly which bolts are needed but your local VW parts dept should know as they must order them for service dept regularly - been a while since I last did this so would need to check. I have always reused the crank pulley bolts and never had a problem but they can be fairly difficult to loosen so you need a decent set of Allen keys.
If you have the hydraulic tensioner setup you will need a little tool which locks the plunger when you retract it.
Definitely worth downloading Elsawin info if you can find it on the net.

#5 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9394 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

I've reused my pulley bolts, just used medium power thread lock on refitting.

They "crack" when released so need a bit of impact, not gradual force.

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#6 leemcalbanicoll

leemcalbanicoll

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:59 AM

I've reused my pulley bolts, just used medium power thread lock on refitting.

They "crack" when released so need a bit of impact, not gradual force.

:Y:

I only have hand tools, not really a good Idea for me to thwack with a hammer either i would imagine still trying to find part numbers for the mount bolts i need might see if avs know if i ring them up.

#7 leemcalbanicoll

leemcalbanicoll

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

Pulley bolts, little whack with one these wont damage ought noo-noo?
Still not started but got part numbers for mounts bolts so will order them up for rebuild. Hoping i don't have problems with the motor mount brackets thread's d2e2392ef74a14b86df127221bec1a56.jpg

#8 Adam_Jonezy

Adam_Jonezy

"I'm not modding this one"

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1726 posts
  • Preston, Lancs
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:56 AM

I've got a Bentley manual if you want me to email it to you? I got it off @adam- a few years back. Should be all the info needed in there. 

PM me your email address and I'll get it emailed over to you. 

46646425935_ef7f6d720f.jpg

#9 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9394 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

I think I rattled my pully bolts off with my Bosch cordless driver, just let it clack against the clutch on a high torque setting.

It's been a while though!

In fact I need to consider the ED30, it's now 13 years old and only 1 cam belt change. Just gone over 30k miles. When I did the cambelt the first time at 12k miles it was like new. Engine still looks like new.

The mk4 has had more cam belts than I've had hot dinners, but that has also been a while. I only change the tensioner every other change.

Summer jobs :)

• Adam_Jonezy likes this

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.