Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

Been trying all afternoon to find the serial to usb drivers (Windows 10) for the KKL 409.1 cable with zero success.

Anyone help... please?  :wacko:

#2 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:48 PM

Sorted... I think....

Dismantled the cable, identified the chip and went to the manufacturers site for the relevant download... of course I've already ordered another cable but that's not the point  :lol:  

#3 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 890 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:54 PM

The FTDI ones are generally better and the CH340 clones tend to have more issues as they rely on hacked/copied drivers - what chipset do you have?

#4 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:01 PM

The FTDI ones are generally better and the CH340 clones tend to have more issues as they rely on hacked/copied drivers - what chipset do you have?

CH340  ... 

#5 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

either download the FTDI drivers D2xxx install and if it doesn't work install D3XX from the FTDI website the drivers are better and with your cable having the CH340 chip in it the D2XX should be sufficient enough but if you want the faster USB3.0 protocol than go ahead and install them both... also the VCP(virtual com port) driver will be installed with the D2xx driver not so sure about the D3xx executable... but with you using a 4.09 KKL cable you will be needing the VCP driver to assign a certain com-port. 

#6 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:27 AM

either download the FTDI drivers D2xxx install and if it doesn't work install D3XX from the FTDI website the drivers are better and with your cable having the CH340 chip in it the D2XX should be sufficient enough but if you want the faster USB3.0 protocol than go ahead and install them both... also the VCP(virtual com port) driver will be installed with the D2xx driver not so sure about the D3xx executable... but with you using a 4.09 KKL cable you will be needing the VCP driver to assign a certain com-port.

None of them worked... I visited every site that came up on Google and on the various forums and tried them all..

Only one that worked was from the chip manufacturer site..

#7 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:51 AM

if they didn't work than than something isn't right i have the same chip in my KKL cable and those drivers work... both with vagcom 409.1 & 3.12.  What driver did you use in the end? (post a link)

#8 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:08 AM

if they didn't work than than something isn't right i have the same chip in my KKL cable and those drivers work... both with vagcom 409.1 & 3.12. What driver did you use in the end? (post a link)

From here..
http://www.wch-ic.co...340&t=downloads

#9 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:46 AM

thanks will download it install it and see if it makes a difference on mine ( after uninstalling the FTDI driver) see if it speeds it up...

• Evil likes this

#10 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

Remarkable it works, even with those drivers... it's not faster than the ftdi drivers by the way
  • Evil likes this

#11 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

Remarkable it works, even with those drivers... it's not faster than the ftdi drivers by the way

It's faster than all the others for me...
Coz it's the only one that works

I have an ftdi cable coming, ordered before I knew there were 2 chipsets (and before I got the current one sorted).
  • northpole likes this

#12 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:38 AM

Quick update.. the FTDI cable arrived, plugged it in, it's lightning fast (compared to the old cable) and required no additional drivers.. boom.. straight in.

#13 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

Quick update.. the FTDI cable arrived, plugged it in, it's lightning fast (compared to the old cable) and required no additional drivers.. boom.. straight in.

Told you they worked fine on mine... will do a clean install again and check if it goes faster after that... checked my registry yesterday and it's kinda filled with loads of stuff that had been removed already, it could be the reason why it is slow.. usb for the ease of use they say... not for the registry.. the backbone of the system is filthy... I did delete loads of entries yesterday but I need to go through it again... so best to do a fresh install.
  • Evil likes this

#14 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:55 PM

More drama..
Got it all plugged in, fired up, port selected....

No ECU found...

Had to go on the chip manufacturers website for their drivers and run eprom in XP compatibility mode.

And now I have the skc.

Yippee.
  • northpole likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.