Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

It's been 20+ years since I paid full whack for a custom system (front to back on a GSi3000 12V, backbox only)..

Trying to get one now... Sheesh..
'about' £550+vat is our nearest.
Others have quoted £450 but don't reply to messages about booking etc.

It's only a little estate, non resonated middle section and large oval tailpipe...

#2 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:45 AM

And that's the exact reason why I home brew most of mine haha..

The diesel centre section you can buy on ebay for 20 quid has no centre box and is a straight fit.

And just get a universal backbox and weld it up, you could even just sleeve it on..

For less than 80 quid system done.. although it will only be oem dimensions so not as good if you are pushing for power

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2003 Audi TT 180 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUM **Insta @Craigyinni **

#3 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

Dude just cut the oem pipe open, weld a straight pipe through it, buy a weld on exhaust tip weld that to the box... done.

The prices they charge are ridiculous... the most you'd get charged for modifying the oem back box would be around 30 pounds for the welders time. The weld on exhaust tip will be your highest cost

#4 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:18 AM

Kirsty wants a beefier noise (no droning or popping and banging)..
Backbox will need changing this year anyway, and there's been a minor amount of butchery near the cat, so we may as well get a stainless system made..

Bodged a few systems in my time, most worked out ok...

#5 Adam_Jonezy

Adam_Jonezy

"I'm not modding this one"

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1726 posts
  • Preston, Lancs
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:09 PM

And that's the exact reason why I home brew most of mine haha..

The diesel centre section you can buy on ebay for 20 quid has no centre box and is a straight fit.

And just get a universal backbox and weld it up, you could even just sleeve it on..

For less than 80 quid system done.. although it will only be oem dimensions so not as good if you are pushing for power

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

I've basically done the same as this with mine haha. 

I got the TDI centre section off Euro Car Parts for £11 and bought a cheap discrete stainless backbox and I must say it sounds good. The VR5 engine will be helping with the noise as well. But for a cheap budget system that's cost me less than £70 its bang on. I did try backbox delete as well but my god it was loud. I'm getting old  :lol:

• superchickenn likes this

46646425935_ef7f6d720f.jpg

#6 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Great Crosby, Lancashire, England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:41 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I turned to eBay, and sometimes they offer up to 20% off certain sellers, I don't know if this is custom exhausts though.

I got my CAT back JetEx exhaust for £340 instead of £400

• Adam_Jonezy and Evil like this

#7 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:55 PM

Found a place in W. Mids who'll build it (on the car) for £260.
Even with ~£70 in fuel we'd be £100+ up.....

Plus..... Road trip.

#8 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:50 AM

Found a place in W. Mids who'll build it (on the car) for £260.
Even with ~£70 in fuel we'd be £100+ up.....

Plus..... Road trip.

did you try this company? my mate used the one in Elmset at the old airport but i don't know if they are still there... anyway he had a full 3" stainless dual exhaust system build from the manifold on his old audi a6 v6 2.5 tdi quattro the noise it made was really nice, not overly loud but a nice deep v6 burble came out of it...plus he had it done with sports cats... they did a really good job and the system looked sweet with the 4" straight cut round tip, poking out just far enough but not to far so it looked OEM but the size told you it wasn't.  

Oww and i just noticed they have one in Ipswich too

#9 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:22 AM

It was Powerflow in Bury who said "about" £550 plus vat.
Now... I don't think that's taking the piddle but it is up there in terms of cost.
His work is good though.

The Ipswich one I think Kirsty contacted, not sure why she was grumbling about them.. they would be in the £450-ish bracket

First had a powerflow system made last century.. drove to Croydon for it - we lived in Southend then...
Full system on a GSi3000 12V Carlton.
Sounded like a race car. It was quite epic, rattled windows and set off car alarms everywhere it went.

#10 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:58 AM

Does the exhaust from the cat back really make little/no difference to power (even with a remap)?
I see stage 2 requires the downpipe and cat, can you keep the rest of it stock?
Might the smaller bore make it a bit farty, especially with a middle box delete?

We weren't expecting gains from a cat back, just a nicer noise.. to clarify..

#11 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:42 AM

the gain is in the bigger downpipe and the less restrictive cat(all though it still filters the same amount  out of the exhaust fumes) so all you'll get is a deeper exhaust note... with what you are planning to do.. but if you are paying that much already, I would hold out save up some more and do the stage 2 and have the full system (with a bigger diameter overall) than get the stage 2 tune done... i mean if you are going to spend on it, you  might as well do it with some BHP gain   

• Evil likes this

#12 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:20 PM

the gain is in the bigger downpipe and the less restrictive cat(all though it still filters the same amount out of the exhaust fumes) so all you'll get is a deeper exhaust note... with what you are planning to do.. but if you are paying that much already, I would hold out save up some more and do the stage 2 and have the full system (with a bigger diameter overall) than get the stage 2 tune done... i mean if you are going to spend on it, you might as well do it with some BHP gain

Not even sure I want stage 2 tbh...
1st remap should get it to ~220.
Given its pretty quick (comparatively) now, that might be plenty.
Until she gives it to me so I can look after it properly, that is.

Moot now, she booked it in last night. Place in Ipswich is doing it on the 8th May.

#13 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

More is always better. But hey if you feel it's oke now than you won't mind the stage 1 remap.
  • Evil likes this

#14 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 18 April 2021 - 04:30 PM

More is always better. But hey if you feel it's oke now than you won't mind the stage 1 remap.

Aye...
How far can you go on stock internals with the AUQ?

#15 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

If you mean stock turbo and internals the max is around 260 bhp...than you need a bigger turbo + injectors + better fmic + clutch + bigger diameter boostpipes:  but the engine (head/bottom block) with stock internals can hold up to 330 bhp afaik...

But I know others won't agree with the above and might say 240 BHP is the max on stock everything...  

• Evil likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.