12 replies to this topic

#1 Rgm36

Rgm36

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

Hi there. Having just got my car back on the road after years sat around I need to service it. I have oil on the way but see I've paid twice what I needed to having just read up on this forum. So, I thought I'd check before buying oil, diesel, air and pollen filters. Amazon are selling a Febi pack of filters for about £30, but I wanted to see what people here recommended.

I'm planning to go for a remap, should I be considering an intake air filter upgrade? I'm sure I also read about some upgrade to the pollen filter, was it green or something?

Many thanks for any advice.

MKIV Golf TDI130BHP, Broken!

#2 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:59 AM

I ran a OEM Honda S2000 air filter on my PD's

Straight fit "cone filter" upgrade and only cost 6 quid each from Euro's 

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2003 Audi TT 180 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUM **Insta @Craigyinni **

#3 mur3633

mur3633

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Podgorica, Montenegro
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:29 PM

Mann, Mahle or Hengst.

#4 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:09 PM

Mann all day long.

#5 Rgm36

Rgm36

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:51 PM

I ran a OEM Honda S2000 air filter on my PD's

Straight fit "cone filter" upgrade and only cost 6 quid each from Euro's 

Ok, interesting. Did you run the cone filter in the existing air filter box, or bin the box and suspend it somehow? Did you notice much of an improvement?

Mann, Mahle or Hengst.

Mann all day long.

So Mann filters get some votes then, but I do fancy going for something which'll allow some mapping and also preferably a reusable cleanable filter...

#6 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:31 AM

So Mann filters get some votes then, but I do fancy going for something which'll allow some mapping and also preferably a reusable cleanable filter...

Don't need any mods for stage 1 which should see 160-170 bhp from the ASZ.

#7 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

Ok, interesting. Did you run the cone filter in the existing air filter box, or bin the box and suspend it somehow? Did you notice much of an improvement?

Just the bottom half of the tray.. honestly any improvement was in my head..

You notice the thudding of the diesel more with a cone filter which I enjoyed

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2003 Audi TT 180 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUM **Insta @Craigyinni **

#8 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:36 AM

don't need any sport filter for it until you hit stage 2 or more and even than the paper oem filters aren't that restrictive... usually when people hit the 220 bhp they'll drop in a sport filter the panel type, either a foam one or a cotton one but the latter can cause oil on the MAF which can cause problems. 

the S2000 OEM cone filter is a cheap noise upgrade, it doesn't give more power just noise as the filter isn't in the box ( and it also sucks up more heat than the filters that go into the airbox... ( more heat = less dense air = BHP loss)

• Evil likes this

#9 Rgm36

Rgm36

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:10 PM

Ok, so based on your advice, I think I might treat it to a pipercross panel filter and retain the filter box. I’m not after a different sound, it’s loud enough with the Milltek anyway. The pipercross can be cleaned and reused.

As a side note then, am I correct in recalling that I’m maxed at stage 1 till I upgrade the turbo? I was hoping to achieve more like 180-190bhp before going any further, is that not possible? I have an upgraded ally SMIC, Milltek exhaust (with a Magnaflow sports cat), Darkside boost pipe kit.

#10 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

When we were closer to the world of Vauxhall tuning, a fellow put a (tuned) Cavalier Turbo on the dyno and ran side by side comparisons of fresh, standard, paper filter versus 'performance' panel filter.

The paper filter performed better. Made more power.

I'll only change from a standard filter if it's absolutely necessary.
  • northpole likes this

#11 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:15 AM

Ok, so based on your advice, I think I might treat it to a pipercross panel filter and retain the filter box. I’m not after a different sound, it’s loud enough with the Milltek anyway. The pipercross can be cleaned and reused.

As a side note then, am I correct in recalling that I’m maxed at stage 1 till I upgrade the turbo? I was hoping to achieve more like 180-190bhp before going any further, is that not possible? I have an upgraded ally SMIC, Milltek exhaust (with a Magnaflow sports cat), Darkside boost pipe kit.

I'd retain the paperfilter as they are cheap and very effective. 

I don't know how much BHP your stage one has, but the SMIC although upgraded could be the reason why you're not around the 180-190bhp...  (it's tucked away, so not really effective at cooling down the compressed air).. It also depends where the map is from, because from your description it could probably be just fine to hit that but the best remap isn't a generic one as stage one normally is but a proper RR custom session. 

#12 Rgm36

Rgm36

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

I'd retain the paperfilter as they are cheap and very effective. 

I don't know how much BHP your stage one has, but the SMIC although upgraded could be the reason why you're not around the 180-190bhp...  (it's tucked away, so not really effective at cooling down the compressed air).. It also depends where the map is from, because from your description it could probably be just fine to hit that but the best remap isn't a generic one as stage one normally is but a proper RR custom session. 

I’ve not had the remap done yet, still got various teething problems to sort out with my car as you’ve seen from my other thread. That’s useful info on the remap, many thanks, I’ll bear that in mind when booking the tuning. Is there a list of recommended tuners on here somewhere? I’m on the south coast, but obviously I don’t mind travelling an hour or 2 for the remap...

#13 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

I’ve not had the remap done yet, still got various teething problems to sort out with my car as you’ve seen from my other thread. That’s useful info on the remap, many thanks, I’ll bear that in mind when booking the tuning. Is there a list of recommended tuners on here somewhere? I’m on the south coast, but obviously I don’t mind travelling an hour or 2 for the remap...

Bsr racing... aka Bobby Singh lookup his latest achievement on his a4 3.0tdi call him and book an appointment

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.