[Mk4 Golf] V6 Trackrods, any idea how they are different? - Suspension, Brakes and Chassis - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

V6 Trackrods, any idea how they are different?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:46 PM

So Just after my MOT the other day I had found that one of my front brakes was causing a slight steering wobble above 60mph, or so me and the tester had thought because the front drivers brake was dragging more than the rest by a bit.

Apparently when I decided to jack it up at the weekend it turned out that wasnt the case, a little tiny bit of play in the drivers side inner tie rod from what I can tell, which happened to my year 2000 bora I had years back about 80k miles too, so I figured I'll just get new rods both sides and ends and boots and get the tracking done once, only then I started looking for parts.

Not super expensive, but I am getting conflicting information that the V6 track rods are different, does anyone know how they differ? they do have a different part number, but that doesnt always mean much.

#2 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

If memory serves me correct than they are different since the track rods are in a different location compared to the fwd models.. I'm also quite sure they are a bit thicker than the fwd model ones.

But I could be wrong.

#3 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 890 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:00 PM

/edit removed because I was incorrect

#4 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

If memory serves me correct than they are different since the track rods are in a different location compared to the fwd models.. I'm also quite sure they are a bit thicker than the fwd model ones.

But I could be wrong.

Yeah I think they are bigger, the few I have seen are bigger diameter from what I could tell, The guy in the vw parts centre thought that would be the case too. One would have thought that seems obvious, but not changing a location or anything, because why try harder when designing a car?

I'm coming up with 1J0422811B (Left) and 1J0422812B (Right) - hopefully that'll get you in the right ball park

I think thats the rod ends? When I looked for the rods there were 3 types, whats weird on the GSF website is that I started with my car then changed the reg to my old bora v5 then a random mk4 from FB market place that was a 1.6/td fwd and it was still saying the part fitted!

Guess Ill have to do some digging round on this one as I dont want to spend a fortune, just because its a V6!

#5 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

I think it is in a different location because of the propshaft going to the rear... but I could be wrong as I stated before... I haven't worked on a v6 4 motion for a while and can't picture what it looks like down there anymore...

#6 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 890 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:39 AM

May bad, my brain was on track rod ends as I was working on my other car. I can see where you're stuck as none of the part numbers make sense - there seems to be a different model for the 4 and 5 cyl and one for the 6 cylinders. When I'm stuck my default setting it so check out AVS Spares https://www.vwspares...hp?model=2.8 V6 - I'd got the part numbers wrong for the rod ends too so will go back and edit.

#7 Calico

Calico

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts
  • Crawley West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:51 AM

The R32 are bigger and the rods are thicker the ends are reversed believe they go into the steering knuckle from under  instead of over compared to front wheel drive models i swapped my rods and ends to R32 when i swapped to TT cast wishbones and b12 LCR suspension running r32 drop links 

#8 Aidymk4v520v

Aidymk4v520v

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Nottingham
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:15 PM

On a V6 4motion the tie rods are the same as FWD mk4s. Only the R32,S3,TT,cupra r have the thicker tie rods and different track rod end's as they mount from underneath rather than on top. The different lengths are due to VW modifying the tie rods and track rod ends early 00. Any fwd MK4 platform tie rods and track rod ends will be fine for your 4motion.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
  • Calico likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.