• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Uk
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:55 PM

Hi everyone! Please bear with me...

I drive a Golf 1.9 GTTDI 2003 model.

Every time I start the engine from COLD the following warning light comes up in the dash: 'STOP, CHECK COOLANT' along with the corresponding symbol. The temperature gauge does gradually move from left to right, (but never goes towards the far right indicating an overheating engine). However, when I start the engine WARM e.g after driving it around for 10 mins, the warning lights/symbols/text don't come up at all.

From reading a few posts/tutorials online, I changed the coolant temperature sensor (green one) twice, topped up the correct coolant up to maximum, checked for coolant leaks, but still the same warning lights come up on the dash when starting the engine from cold.

Any suggestions or advice?
Many thanks!!

#2 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4545 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:18 PM

Theres a sensor for fluid level in the white spherical expansion bottle.
It may simply be that you need to add a little bit of premix so that the level always stays within the max and min levels marked on the outside
I changed mine during autumn a few years back and come winter on days when it was really cold the light would come on and go out after the water warmed up a little
It was litterally a pencil line below min on such days and when finallyI added a teacupful of premix went out and haven't seen it since, bar the bulb check on starting

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:21 PM

As above, and check inside the coolant level sensor plug for any signs of coolant migration while you're there.

#4 Ksin87

Ksin87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Uk

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:23 AM

As above, and check inside the coolant level sensor plug for any signs of coolant migration while you're there.

Where is the plug you mentioned? And what am I looking for exactly?

Thanks for your reply!

#5 ttg4l

ttg4l

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:10 AM

Where is the plug you mentioned? And what am I looking for exactly?

Thanks for your reply!

Gerry explained the location above, it's on the spherical coolant header tank. There's one sensor on the side of the tank, that's the plug you are after. You want to look for signs of wetness or corrosion in the plug.

#6 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11065 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:07 AM

The barbs inside the bottle become old and lose their resistance. When you get a bit of heat, the coolant rises and touches a new part of the barb.  Replace ball, check level or scratch at the barbs.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#7 Ksin87

Ksin87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Uk

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:36 PM

Wow you guys are pretty good. Did exactly what you guys suggested and the warning light seems to have disappeared!!

Thanks a lot!!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.