What does everyone think of this? - Page 3 - Car Buying and Selling Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

What does everyone think of this?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 VWGolf1.6SE

VWGolf1.6SE

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:53 AM

Pricey, bad news mate.  I went to check out the car yesterday and it looked mint, got it HPI'ed this morning and found out it's been clocked!

The true mileage according to the BVRLA on the 17th of October 2006 was 104,917.

I'd get that deposit back ASAP, of course you are welcome to HPI it yourself (if you haven't already done so), thought I'd save you the 40 quid though.

#62 The Walrus

The Walrus

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2851 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:54 AM

or are you trying to pinch it from under his nose, pricey have you done a back ground check on it I hope so as if it is not from a authorised VW agent then be carefull.

Regardless you can still get your money back as it is a breach of the trade descriptions act as they have not taken resonable measures to check the information supplied on the advert.

Keep us informed.

#63 VWGolf1.6SE

VWGolf1.6SE

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

Whatever mate, he's free to do the HPI and see for himself.  The car looks like it was a company car (suggested by the previous keeper's name who I won't mention on here), hence the mileage was registered by the BVRLA (British Vehicle Renting & Leasing Association), before the that the DVLA registered it as having the same mileage (105,000).

Not saying the trader is to blame, but somebody has knocked off just under 50k on the clock since the 17th of October 2006.

And of course I wanted the car for myself, it looks in good nick and I don't see the problem in me going for it seeing as the seller invited me over to see it and said it was available.

#64 The Walrus

The Walrus

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2851 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

No worries minger [:D] talk to the hand as the face aint listen [H]

#65 RS GOLF

RS GOLF

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

, pricey have you done a back ground check on it I hope so as if it is not from a authorised VW agent then be carefull.

I would guess that Phil has already done that, as it is one of the most important things to do if you do not buy from a VW dealer as you mentioned.

@ Phil did you check the Full service history… defo make sure you have it before parting with your money. Call the garages that carried out the servicing

try and get a VW dealer to HPI check it for you…. Normally a little cheaper in price.

@ Golf1.6se…. have you defo got all the correct information. Did the VIN number and number plate all match up correctly.

#66 Viperpsych

Viperpsych

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:45 AM

Phill give me the details of the car.

i'll get the hpi done free at work for you.

all the best

Dan

[:)]

#67 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm in Budapest at the mo [:D]  The guy phoned me yesterday with the details for an HPI check, but I said I'd give him a buz back when I get home tomorrow night.

Dan: Cheers mate, I'll PM you the details as soon as I get them, that would be much appreciated! [Y]  Saves a couple of squids - I owe you a red bull or 5 lol! [:D]

When I looked at the car, I went through the Service book and everything looked completley normal in there including the mileage intervals between services.  Also unless someone has paid a lot of money to have the interior re-trimmed there is no way that car has done over 100k, nor did it drive like a car that had covered that amount of miles in my opinion.  Still, we'll see what the HPI says! 

#68 VWGolf1.6SE

VWGolf1.6SE

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

Pricey, make sure you do the HPI check with www.hpicheck.com or ring them on 0845 300 8905, the other HPI checks by RAC, AA and others may be cheaper but they don't give you details of the national mileage register. Make sure you give them your email address too, they'll then email you the report directly to your inbox.  Have to say this Golf has some interesting history, when you see the recorded mileage you'll be astounded.

I agree the car didn't look like it had covered over 100k, but remember that as a ex-rental/lease car the compnay that owned it (in this case HSBC finance) would have been willing to fix it up good and proper before sending it off to auction, therefore I wouldn't take that as an ultimate indicator. The paintwork on the bonnet didn't have a single stone-chip and I was amazed, but the test drive did seem to let it down a little IMO, it didn't feel 100% (compared to other AUM 1.8T's I've driven).

I'm only doing this to save you the heartache of buying a clocked car, I have no interest in the car any longer and wish you luck in finding the right GTi, my search continues too!

#69 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:49 AM

Phill give me the details of the car.

i'll get the hpi done free at work for you.

all the best

Dan

[:)]

Dan, I've PM'd you mate [Y]

#70 bazking69

bazking69

More than a fleeting interest

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

Ever heard the term 'sounds too good to be true'

Something does here. Might be me being sceptic, but anyone should be when parting with thouands of pounds for what potentially could be knightmare.

The seller is only offering a mobile. Have you got a landline? Have you been to HIS house. Does the name and address on the V5 match up to the car. Does the VIN on the car match the one on the V5? Is the guy a trader?

Something seems iffy here. Tread very carefully. Its all to easy to get your fingers burnt mate.

#71 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:27 AM

Yes mate of course.  Rest assured I will do every check needed before I part with my cash! [Y]

#72 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

Well it turns out the car HAS been clocked [:(]

Thanks for the confirmation, TT.  Bugger bugger bugger.  Well Ricky will be getting an ear bashing from me and had better be returning my deposit sharpish!

The hunt continues! 

#73 Satnam

Satnam

More than a fleeting interest

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5416 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

Well it turns out the car HAS been clocked [:(]

Thanks for the confirmation, TT.  Bugger bugger bugger.  Well Ricky will be getting an ear bashing from me and had better be returning my deposit sharpish!

The hunt continues! 

Bet your happy that you got it hpi'd now [y] best to be safe than sorry mate..

Sat [y] 

#74 jamesm86

jamesm86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1763 posts
  • South Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

how much deposit did you lay down? is'nt it illegal to sell a clocked car? i'd report it   or threaten to if he doesnt pay back deposit

#75 The Walrus

The Walrus

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2851 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:02 PM

please tell me you did not give him cash ???

does he have a permanent place of work for this business ?

#76 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

£90 in cash, but I have an address for him.  If he doesn't pay it back he's getting reported!

#77 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25430 posts
  • Liverpool
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

Report him anyway, misleading someone isn't the nicest thing to do!

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

Step 1) threaten to report if deposit not returned

Step 2) get deposit back

Step 3) report the cunny funt anyway!

#79 nosaj

nosaj

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4749 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

phil have ya sold yours yet , or did they offer good trade in on yours

#80 VWGolf1.6SE

VWGolf1.6SE

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

Glad you got checked out Phil, still can't believe the amazing bodywork on it though!  Be ready to hear a sob story from Ricky, he's going to deny knowing anything about it and blame it on the 'trader' he bought it off (maybe true, who knows).

Good luck with hunting down that elusive GTI!

#81 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

Cheers and thanks for the heads up.

Jase: Not sold mine yet unfortunately [:(]  Gonna re-list it next week sometime.

#82 RS GOLF

RS GOLF

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:57 AM

Sorry to hear Phil, but please remember to get a HPI check down straight away or even over the phone before paying a deposit (you can then give them the details straight from the car)

I thought you checked the Service History !!!!!!!

#83 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:12 AM

I thought you checked the Service History !!!!!!!

I did!  Granted, I didn't ring any of the garages but the mileage all checked out in the book, which is odd. Must have been fake, or out of another car!

#84 BORA_TOM

BORA_TOM

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:18 AM

Close call there, when you looked at the history did you look at the dates to see if they corresponded to current mileage?

#85 Pricey

Pricey

Retired

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:29 AM

Can't remember exactly what it said in the service book, It all looked fine tho.

I spoke to the guy about an hour ago and he said he couldn't believe it and he'd had it RAC checked.  I told him to check again with hpicheck.com and said I wanted my deposit back either way.  So he's gonna come back to me.  Will ring him again again later anyway.

#86 BORA_TOM

BORA_TOM

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

I'd imagine then that the most 'recent' service mileage wise could have been a while ago then.

#87 Mark V

Mark V

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:32 AM

What a fascinating thread with some real lessons for all to learn:

Get any used car (non franchised dealer or private seller) HPI'd before you pay any deposit.

Take the details off the car yourself (the VIN is visible on a Golf)

Always view the V5 registration document yourself and cross check with the reg number and VIN. If you can, contact the last owner and ask him/her to verify the mileage and history of the car.

Inspect the service book, write down the details of who has worked on the car and telephone the last VW retailer who did a service (they will have access to the cars VW service history log).

If you are happy with the condition of the car, the HPI checks out and the services were genuinely carried out, take a step forward and pay your deposit.

#88 VWGolf1.6SE

VWGolf1.6SE

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

The trader has just re-advertised the car with the same 58k declared as the mileage, what a crook.

#89 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25430 posts
  • Liverpool
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

Report him!

#90 VWGolf1.6SE

VWGolf1.6SE

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:27 AM

To who?  I'd do something about it if I knew how.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.