Passat 2.0 TDI 2005 onwards are they that bad? - Car Buying and Selling Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

Passat 2.0 TDI 2005 onwards are they that bad?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

I actually want one of the above but im starting to get put off from the reviews and comments I'm reading.

Apparantly theres problems with the fuel pump, turbo's and electric handbrake. I'd be looking to get one about 2005/06 reg with about 100k on just worried now as I dont want to buy a money pit, I thought VW was reliable but passat 2005 onwards owners in their reviews seem to say dont buy this one, the old one is much better. Anyone on here own a diesel passat the newer shape?? Need advice because I'm on the look out for one. thanks

#2 kapur

kapur

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

I had a 2005/55 Plate B6 2.0 TDI (140PS version). Apparently its common for the injectors to go on them. I never read anything about the turbo and fuel pump going. Electric handbrake is a possibility though, having read that fitting a new switch normally fixes the problem.

Owned it for 9 months. Main problem was when it had to go in to VW for them to re-coil the cylinder head because a bolt was lose.

Only got rid of it because I missed the MK4 platform, and the B6 was simply too big.

#3 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, I viewed one today that was previously owned by a company so had loads of miles on it 148k full vw service history. Body work wasn't in the best condition, sat nav is a must and it had it 3600 I got him down to what do u think of the price?

#4 Pauls1820VTGolf

Pauls1820VTGolf

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 9132 posts
  • Somewhere in the South West...
  • Other Models

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

I've just bought one. I bought it for £6k, 2.0lt Sport TDI 170PS, 2007 plate, 78k on it. One of the injectors did fail on it just after I picked it up (I managed 38 miles) but the garage replaced it. But, if you're looking at one with 148k on it, I would have thought it will be fine!

As for the car. Apart from being big, I LOVE it! It's nice and smooth when driving it normally and even being a 170, gets high 40's mpg from it (my number 2 average on it at the moment is 45mpg I think, but I've done quite a lot of sitting around waiting with it on and driving in town). But then, when you plant your foot the car just goes. I went from 25mph up to 70 in 3rd in about 3 seconds! The car, for a diesel, even sounds pretty good!

The car in general is pretty good too. Lots of space in it, both in the front and back. It has an electronic handbrake which is a bit strange but nice when you get use to it. Stereo in mine is pretty damn good for a bottom of the line stereo (I have an RCD300), it has auto lights and auto wipers, I dont have cruise in mine which it a PITA, but I'll get use to it.

It is a big car though, so it depends how much space you have.
It just about fits in a space when I go shopping too [;)

Thanks, Paul
Main car: Pure White 3dr Mk7 Golf GTI DSG

2nd Car: Red B8 Audi A4 Avant Technik 170

#5 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Yh I was well impressed from the test drive but the car was a bit rough on the body work, I'm on a hunt to find a decent one with sat nav but their ain't any around at the min so I'm thinking of just buying a run about until one pops up. I'm piety gutted really as I want one now :(

#6 Pauls1820VTGolf

Pauls1820VTGolf

• Moderators
  • 9132 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

I travelled to Sheffield to buy mine from a garage. There are some nice ones out there, you just got to hunt to find them [:)]

Worse comes to the worse, buy one without Sat-Nav and get a genuine unit from ebay or somewhere for £500 [Y]

Thanks, Paul

#7 peely

peely

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • -------

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

I was on the look out for one about the same age, but a VW mechanic freind guided me away then asked the same questions at the local main dealer as well his reply was I will not sell you one they are that bad, sorry.

#8 Pauls1820VTGolf

Pauls1820VTGolf

• Moderators
  • 9132 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

What about it is bad?

Having now owned one for almost a week, I would disagree with you...

Thanks, Paul

#9 harveysduvet

harveysduvet

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4995 posts
  • Cheshire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

What about it is bad?

Having now owned one for almost a week, I would disagree with you...

Google 'Passat 2.0 TDI oil pump' and you'll see what's so bad. Fair enough, it's not just Passats affected by it, but lots of reported occurences.   I was warned to stay well clear by a couple of people on the basis of the oil pump issue alone, without considering any of the other issues.

Jon.

dick-dastardly-and-muttley.jpg

BMW 330d Touring // Renault Clio 1.5 DCi Dynamique S

#10 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Yh I have read stuff about that but weren't that solved when they first come out? The last thing I want is a money pit. This may put me off but what other cars can u get with that spec like sat nav and that.... I want a diesel cruiser with gadgets lol this fits it perfectly for my budget..... Any other cars with similar spec you can think of?

#11 Pauls1820VTGolf

Pauls1820VTGolf

• Moderators
  • 9132 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

Looks like the oil pump mainly only affected one engine code - BLB. No idea what mine is so I'll look tomorrow. But at the end of the day, I enjoy the car anyway!

Thanks, Paul

#12 matt8808

matt8808

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1669 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

My mum has a 53 plate Passat TDI and never had a problem.

Stepdad has recently bought a 57 plate Passat TDI estate from local VW garage. Has about 40k on the clock. So far its been back 3 times. It kept spluttering and they fitted new fuel filter and oil pump. It then needed to go back about 4 weeks later for a new Tandem pump. Then one of the speakers stopped working due to an electrical fault.

#13 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Reading up on it now...... Does this keep happening or once its fixed there's no problem? I imagine a car with 100+k miles on would have already over come the low oil pressure fault?

#14 matt8808

matt8808

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1669 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Well my stepdads had all those bits fitted.... it spluttered a bit a few weeks after but seems to of been fine since. No idea really only time will tell I guess....

#15 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hmmmm I can't find a car that's similar for the same price range, do you know if there is a 1.9tdi with about 130 bhp ? Can only find 105...

#16 harveysduvet

harveysduvet

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4995 posts
  • Cheshire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

But at the end of the day, I enjoy the car anyway!

And that's all that matters really.  My last two cars have had engines that have a reputation for ingesting the flaps from the inlet manifold, often requiring engine replacement (Google 'BMW swirl flaps') - did it stop me buying the first one? No.  Did it stop me buying a second?  No. Because I liked the cars.  I'm aware it can happen and have enough set aside in a rainy day fund so that if the worst did happen, I could sort it; I wouldn't be happy  but I wouldn't be left high and dry with a non-running car and no money to sort it. 

Think how annoyed you'd be if you stetched yourself financially to buy one and then within a couple of weeks have to fork out for a new engine, having been unprepared and unaware of the potential issues and then finding out how relatively common it is.

Jon.

dick-dastardly-and-muttley.jpg

BMW 330d Touring // Renault Clio 1.5 DCi Dynamique S

#17 peely

peely

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • -------

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

Saddly thats why I have left the vw scene as I needed a larger (family car) so have gone japanese now. [cry]

#18 Gary Cundliffe

Gary Cundliffe

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

They have a reputation for numerous faults, the UkPassats forum should guide you through the worst and reoccuring issues.

I've had a 2009 B6 since new, and its been back to the dealers many times for warranty work- some little stuff others big like a new gearbox.

I Know of Injectors on the 2.0 TDi (already discussed) and the electronic handbrake can fail- the calipers are very expensive. Also the steering column can need replacing should the steering lock fail which they do although I belive a fix has been released for it.

All said and done currently I really like the car and intend on keeping it certainly whilst under warranty as touch wood its settled down. After the warranty period who knows- I may extend it or then look for summat else should an expensive fault arise....

#19 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thinking now of a leon tdi cupra not sure if its over priced or not :S

#20 matt8808

matt8808

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1669 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

Well just a quick one.... you know in my last post I said my stepdads had needed to go back to VW a few times for oil pump and tandem pump ect.... well it broke down on the hard shoulder today. Had it recovered to VW who have said two of the injectors have failed. Its free with it being under warranty but they said if we had needed to pay to have it fixed we would of been looking at £2400 [:o]

Apparently something else is faulty too but he cant remember what they said it was

#21 Pauls1820VTGolf

Pauls1820VTGolf

• Moderators
  • 9132 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

Injectors are a common fault. Need to call VW to get my other 3 replaced soon

Thanks, Paul

#22 matt8808

matt8808

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1669 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:11 AM

The dealers have told him that VW know there is a fault with them and that for cars out of warranty VW are paying for replacement of ALL injectors free of charge if it is the known fault that has caused them to go

#23 Jammers

Jammers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

Glad I didn't go for one of these in the end, got myself a mk1 leon fr in the end :)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.