Megane Sport or Cupra R?- Decision made...car purchased!!! Pics Below on pg 3 - Car Buying and Selling Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

Megane Sport or Cupra R?- Decision made...car purchased!!! Pics Below on pg 3

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

As above... I have 5k to spend tops...and am looking at both cars...not driven either yet, anyone had any experience of these?

thanks 

#2 stobo91

stobo91

Still a newbie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5822 posts
  • Chesterfield, Derbyshire
  • -------

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

Im not sure on the exact spec but a friend has a megane sport tdi. Only seen it once or twice but in my opinion it looks really nice. Got nice black leathers and hes had it remapped and iirc its over 200bhp.

sorry cant be of more help!

#3 olethalb

olethalb

has been

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7414 posts
  • engine bay
  • Other Models

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

there's a lot of cars out there to be had for 5k, have you narrowed down to thesae two?

lowering a mk4 / air ride / arb questions

https://uk-mkivs.net/...=engine spacers

#4 nwmlarge

nwmlarge

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

cupra r as it is a nicer car to be in 24/7

the megane will show it a clean pair of heels but thats on a track or on the 3 days a year you get a clear road

#5 MrMk5

MrMk5

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

The Leon Cupra R (2002ish plate) is one of the best looking hatches ever in my opinion and for £5k you could pick up a nice one. For me, the Cupra R. [:)]

#6 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

There are soooo many cars for 5k it got silly spending all of my time staring at magazines and computer screens so I picked 2 that I like the look of  but am open to suggestion Olly!

The megane is winning slightly as it seems a nicer spec but who knows!!! [:S]

#7 MattR32

MattR32

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

My mate is selling his Cupra R. Its a 53 reg and has a full miltek and stage 1 revo. Its shifts!!!!!

For me it would be the the seat, ive driven my mates one many times and it feels lovely to drive, very well planted and is very quick with the re map.

#8 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

My mate is selling his Cupra R. Its a 53 reg and has a full miltek and stage 1 revo. Its shifts!!!!!

For me it would be the the seat, ive driven my mates one many times and it feels lovely to drive, very well planted and is very quick with the re map.

How many miles mate? also where is he based?

cheers

#9 georgeatos

georgeatos

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

working at a car auction ive had chance to drive both these car's.!! imo id say the megane 225 is quicker than the cupra but no way is it as reliable... the amount ov meganes we get in my work with electrical faults would put me off buying 1 over a cupra r... to be honest you could get a mk5 gti for 5k from the auctions... thats what id buy [Y]

#10 MattR32

MattR32

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

I think its only around the 50k mark i will find out for you. He is 5 mins away from me just outside Watford. I will speak to him later and get some details for you. Im not sire if you have a colour in mind but his one is dark grey. I will post the spec/price for you later [:)]

#11 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

I think its only around the 50k mark i will find out for you. He is 5 mins away from me just outside Watford. I will speak to him later and get some details for you. Im not sire if you have a colour in mind but his one is dark grey. I will post the spec/price for you later Smile

nice one pal... Grey is a good colour.

#12 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

working at a car auction ive had chance to drive both these car's.!! imo id say the megane 225 is quicker than the cupra but no way is it as reliable... the amount ov meganes we get in my work with electrical faults would put me off buying 1 over a cupra r... to be honest you could get a mk5 gti for 5k from the auctions... thats what id buy Yes

Mk5 Gti would be nice but I have no idea about auctions and am a bit wary about it as not very mechanical minded....in the words of Mike Brewer it could be a Lemon!!!

#13 jakewalsh

jakewalsh

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7359 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

cupra r with a remap is one of the best going road cars for the money,

i have had three, i spent a week driving a megane 225, as i was going to buy one, it felt slow in comparison to the lcr, also they have a lot and i mean alot of common faults, but there expensive fixes, unlike the cupra r's typical golf problems,

its things like gear boxes, diffs, hubs etc so for me its lcr every day of the week, even over my scooby

#14 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

cupra r with a remap is one of the best going road cars for the money,

i have had three, i spent a week driving a megane 225, as i was going to buy one, it felt slow in comparison to the lcr, also they have a lot and i mean alot of common faults, but there expensive fixes, unlike the cupra r's typical golf problems,

its things like gear boxes, diffs, hubs etc so for me its lcr every day of the week, even over my scooby

ok...you are selling it to me!!

I want a car that has no faults or has had the common ones sorted what should I look for in terms of work thats been done when buying an LCR?

#15 jakewalsh

jakewalsh

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7359 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

for 5k your going to get a half decent model,

it will be the 225 model for that money, they have the oval mirrors and a few slight mods to the 2003/4 models,

interms of spec:

all came with the brembos etc, options were

sat nav - this was £1200 worth, but very out dated now

recaro seats, the fronts simply say recaro on them, the rear bench was modified for 4 seats, this was about a £1500 option and very rare,

faults as like any 1.8t

leaky door seals, temp sensor, maf, coilpacks,oil pick up pipe getting clogged up,boost leaks,

service is exactly same as a golf so your good there, bare in mind, pads/discs are more expensive, as are they tyres, check for an alloy wheel spare, the back boxes also rot away, most of the suspension bushes are uprated from that of a golf and do cost a little more too, final thing is cambelt being done at correct milage ets,

with a remap you will see a good 260-270bhp with simular torque, be wary of the revo map though as it spikes quite low down and a few seat boys have blown bottom ends out due to this.

#16 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

for 5k your going to get a half decent model,

it will be the 225 model for that money, they have the oval mirrors and a few slight mods to the 2003/4 models,

interms of spec:

all came with the brembos etc, options were

sat nav - this was £1200 worth, but very out dated now

recaro seats, the fronts simply say recaro on them, the rear bench was modified for 4 seats, this was about a £1500 option and very rare,

faults as like any 1.8t

leaky door seals, temp sensor, maf, coilpacks,oil pick up pipe getting clogged up,boost leaks,

service is exactly same as a golf so your good there, bare in mind, pads/discs are more expensive, as are they tyres, check for an alloy wheel spare, the back boxes also rot away, most of the suspension bushes are uprated from that of a golf and do cost a little more too, final thing is cambelt being done at correct milage ets,

with a remap you will see a good 260-270bhp with simular torque, be wary of the revo map though as it spikes quite low down and a few seat boys have blown bottom ends out due to this.

Cool nice one mate! will check them out...so the BAM engine is the one to go for I take it....

#17 Jimmy23VR5

Jimmy23VR5

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1959 posts
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

I have an 'R and love it!

it's an '03 with the 210 AMK engine. The BAM and AMK are basically the same, IIRC the only difference is a slight tweek of the map.

The later 225 LCR's will also have a better steering wheel over the earlier 210's. But with your budget a decent 225 will be easy to find.

I had a 1.8T Bora before the Leon and the difference was amazing. It has been very reliable in the 7 months i've had it. Mine was also remapped at only 5,000 miles and has not had any problems, only thing was the clutch at 78k but that's it.

I've used it on track and do give it a hard life but it's been faultless.

One word of advice if you do buy one, watch the nose. With the splitter you don't have much clearence and it is quite easy to catch on speed bumps and kerbs.

Audi TT 2.0TFSI Roadster
sig14a1_zpscb465358.jpg

#18 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

I have an 'R and love it!

it's an '03 with the 210 AMK engine. The BAM and AMK are basically the same, IIRC the only difference is a slight tweek of the map.

The later 225 LCR's will also have a better steering wheel over the earlier 210's. But with your budget a decent 225 will be easy to find.

I had a 1.8T Bora before the Leon and the difference was amazing. It has been very reliable in the 7 months i've had it. Mine was also remapped at only 5,000 miles and has not had any problems, only thing was the clutch at 78k but that's it.

I've used it on track and do give it a hard life but it's been faultless.

One word of advice if you do buy one, watch the nose. With the splitter you don't have much clearence and it is quite easy to catch on speed bumps and kerbs.

Nice one Jimmy...I am going to hunt a few down at the weekend and drive one... will try both engine variants...I may still try to find a Megane trophy to drive (just to compare)

[Y]

#19 tel19

tel19

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

just got rid of my cupra r 2004, platinum grey, gotta say the best car ive had, ive had it 2.5 years and never missed a bit it had been played with by amd, gutted its gone.......

#20 Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

Danger Seeker

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Brexit-Land

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Jetta 2.0T seen a few of those for around 5K on Autotrader...

:cop:   MK4   Golf   is   the   graveyard   of   your   Ambition    :cop:

#21 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Jetta 2.0T seen a few of those for around 5K on Autotrader...

Nah not for me...it's gotta be a hatch

#22 chrisr

chrisr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts
  • Middleton / Manchester
  • Golf V R32 3.2 250PS

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

I bought a Cupra R 225 around this time last year,

Had Jake put a CustomCode Map on it, Neuspeed Induction kit, Forge Tip & Boost hoses.

It was one of the quickest cars I have owned, Felt really planted, Sounded awesome,

I would have one again in a heartbeat!!

As already said the Megane is known for quite a few electrical faults, Where the Cupra R is just your normal MK4 Golf faults & not that costly to repair

#23 rje

rje

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:00 AM

Out of the two it's the Cupra for me mate

#24 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:39 AM

Hmmm what a conundrum.. I want to drive both still will be aiming for the Megan's trophy as it supposed to be lovelies to drive and need to try the LCR...most peoria are saying get the seat but something still draws me to the Megane...damn you frenchies and your sexy lines lol

#25 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:40 AM

Bloody iPhone! My last post makes no sense! Sorry!

#26 sijac09

sijac09

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Proton gti IMO

#27 heatho87

heatho87

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image

Cupra for me I had a bora 1.8t aswel, and the difference is huge I love it!

#28 Russler

Russler

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

That does look really smart mate...had any problems with it? I want a sorted car that I don't need to modify to make it feel how it should if that makes sense?

#29 heatho87

heatho87

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

No problems and its had a remap, the best thing about it is how it handles!

You can get good deals on them aswel at the mo, I paid a little extra to get a low milage one with no mods and  2 owners

#30 vw andy

vw andy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

The leon is an old car now and quite dated imo. (bit like the mk4)

I would go for the megane 225, they may have their own specific issues but the leon is on the mk4 platform so are riddled with niggling problems also!

People always bleet on about re-maps, both cars in standard trim, the megane is quicker, handles a lot better and a nicer place to be. Also they are excellent value at the moment, plus you have the choice of 3 and 5 door.

If we are doing pictures....

Darth 1

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.