No more Mods....Yeah right !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

I wait for the Solution and an Tutorial :D

Big Smile ..... just waiting on the delivery of a passenger side R32 mirror I got hold of to test the mod...... then I will get stuck in Coffee

#602 Rg_

Rg_

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Very nice. Looks mint mate! Yes

#603 rOcK_oN

rOcK_oN

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3410 posts
  • Cyprus
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 1.4 170PS DSG

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

waiting for some promised pics...................... Paper bag

#604 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

Sod the 911, think about how many people will have them.

Now get back to modding power folding 150mm mirrors, you'd be the 1st! LOL

Finished the trial mod using a spare LH R32 mirror .......and fabrication using the Seat LCR folding motor

And............... after figuring out how to do the alignment, where to cut the R32 casting and how the attach the LCR motor to the R32

I got a great result. Tested the fold function on the bench and it all works perfectly.... one big smile on my face after that  Big Smile

The casting is aligned with the correct gap to smoothly fold and is solidly attached.....

(only needed to remove one mirror case  plastic inner lug at the bottom rear but tried it and as long as all the other plastic lugs are in place, the case is still fixed in place rigid)

As said the mod was done on a spare R32 mirror ........ so now I know how to do it (not too difficult) I can mod the originals on the car.

Taking a cutting disc to a R32 mirror was almost as traumatic as taking a hammer to the OEM Xenons

Anyways ....... I'll upload a few pics of the trial mod (also took a video of the R32 folding) and then a better guide when I do the 2nd set.

The First Cut is the Deepest as the song goes ...... think I'll keep this as a trophy LOL

#605 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Some of the initial mark ups....for cutting the R32 casting. Care: do not follow these lines exactly as this was only the initial mark up. There were some slight adaptations which I made later to get the final profile. However these are close to where the cuts need to be made. I will post up some more pics showing the exact lines when I mod the second set. 

(If you are doing this be careful with the first and second cuts as there is a lug on the inside face of the casting that helps hold the lower black plastic trim piece in place. So do not cut all the way straight down as you need to stop before get to the base and cut around the lug so that its left in place. However, If you do cut it off, all is not lost as if you look closely you'll see next to the lug there is already a pre-tapped hole to accept a screw .... the same screw as is used to hold the other side of the trim piece. I have the lug marked in red on the other side of the casting but you cannot see it in the pic)

You can use a couple of rubber washers and a jubilee clip to hold the LCR motor onto the R32 'post' whilst you decide where the cuts need to be made (it will still swivel round)

The R32 casting is attached using the LCR 'motor arms' and two aluminium bars. Also used the original LCR 4mm torx screws. When I do the second version I will use some longer 4mm screws and nylocs (on inner face of casting) to attach the alu bars. For the time being I tapped the casting to accept the LCR screws. (I did not attach the upper LCR arm as the fabrication seemed solid enough but this could be done with a 4mm set screw and nyloc)

In actual fact there are some key elements in the LCR and R32 alloy castings that do align themselves which helps 

** important when you do the alignment and especially prior to marking where to drill you have to put a 1mm flexible spacer (card will do) in between the 'joint' around which the case swivels. This is to ensure there is the correct gap to allow movement with no binding (both the LCR and R32 mirrors tested had a 1mm gap and this works). Remove the spacer after the alignment is made **

Couple of videos of the testing on the bench to ensure the power fold was smooth and all the alignment gaps were correct. (to follow)

VIDEO LINKS

http://youtu.be/in1G4E97qGY

#606 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50155 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Snack

#607 Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze

uk-mkivs

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • N. Ireland
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AGR 90PS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Excellent work! Clap

I can see a lot of people copying you, think this is going to be the next big thing!

Glad I got my mirrors before everyone rushes out to get some & chop them up. LOL

#608 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Excellent work! Clap

I can see a lot of people copying you, think this is going to be the next big thing!

Glad I got my mirrors before everyone rushes out to get some & chop them up. LOL

Cheers ............ I'm just glad that it can be done ...... did a bit of a jig around when they powered up and folded as sweetly as they did Gamer

(they sound great as well LOL)

#609 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50155 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Brilliant work as alwaysClap.Hopefully I'll be able to find sometime this year to do this to mine.

#610 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Brilliant work as alwaysClap.Hopefully I'll be able to find sometime this year to do this to mine.

Cheers Chris .... the trial mock up took about 3 hours to do just taking my time ........... but could probably mod one in about 45mins now I know how its done Yes

A 115mm mini cutting disc works really well for the main cuts ... then a Dremel cutting disc for the smaller ones. Also need some 15mm aluminium bar and finally  some torx screws : 4 x 4mm thread x 10mm length  / 4 x 4mm x 12mm  / and 2 x 4mm x 20mm  (5 torx for each mirror to attach all three motor arms (4 x 4mm x 10mm torx screws can be reused from the LCRs) then need 6 x 4mm Nylocs)

#611 golfmk4gr

golfmk4gr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hi Patric , are you trying to made power folding exterior Japan style mirrors ???

Nice workClap

#612 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hi Patric , are you trying to made power folding exterior Japan style mirrors ???

Nice workClap

Hi Nick

No .......... they are Anni/R32 150mm sized mirrors ........... VW did not make Golf mark 4 power fold mirrors in this size for any country's market. So up to now if anyone wanted folding mirrors they either had to go up to the full size or drop down to the stubby (Jap) size.

I don't want the large and I don't want the stubbies ......... The R32 150mm look great and are more practical (than Jap 125mm).

So...........I have made my own 'hybrids' using the LCR motors. You just have to take a cutting disk to the expensive R32 mirror castings so you need big 'gonads' lol Big Smile

#613 golfmk4gr

golfmk4gr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Nice workClap

Hi Nick

No .......... they are Anni/R32 150mm sized mirrors ........... VW did not make Golf mark 4 power fold mirrors in this size for any country's market. So up to now if anyone wanted folding mirrors they either had to go up to the full size or drop down to the stubby (Jap) size.

I don't want the large and I don't want the stubbies ......... The R32 150mm look great and are more practical (than Jap 125mm).

So...........I have made my own 'hybrids' using the LCR motors. You just have to take a cutting disk to the expensive R32 mirror castings so you need big 'gonads' lol Big Smile

Yep , i knew that r32 / Jubi mirrors was not power folding.

You have done perfect job Patric

I am impressed.......Smile

#614 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Cheers Nick......... the passenger one in the pics was the test mock up to gauge where to make the cuts and how to attach the LCR motor etc (it came out and tested spot on).

I am working on a 2nd set (the ones on my car) at the moment (+ adding an interesting extra item) Whistle

#615 golfmk4gr

golfmk4gr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Cheers Nick......... the passenger one in the pics was the test mock up to gauge where to make the cuts and how to attach the LCR motor etc (it came out and tested spot on).

I am working on a 2nd set (the ones on my car) at the moment (+ adding an interesting extra item) Whistle

Interesting extra item.  Confused

Maybe a puddle light???Big Smile

#616 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Interesting extra item.  Confused

Maybe a puddle light???Big Smile

Nope....... already got that  Smile

#617 golfmk4gr

golfmk4gr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

Lets see Patric   Coffee

#618 wragg07

wragg07

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Turn signal behind the mirror, only visible when indicating..???

#619 Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze

uk-mkivs

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • N. Ireland

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

As wragg said?? I've also sent you a pm patchrico.

#620 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, I've seen the mirror glass turn signals .... and they are quite cool.

I'm putting extra wires into the loom that feeds the mirrors for any future mods (like the mirror glass indicators) ..... but its not the 'interesting' one that I mentioned. (unlike previous posts that one is under wraps for now Zip it!)

(KS  .... have replied to PM)

#621 golfmk4gr

golfmk4gr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

I want to know your secret Patric.....................

Confused

Can't wait...........Snack

#622 golfmk4gr

golfmk4gr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hi Patric

Have you installed to your car this secret item?

I am still wondering what is this...........Confused

#623 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

As promised .... the following are GUIDE PICS on where to cut the R32 alloy mirror casting (150mm) and how to fit the power fold motor from the Seat LCR.

The attachment is solid / the alignment is accurate / the internals and outer case fit without any issues / the power fold works great (see earlier video on test rig ... will also post up another video later showing the mirror fold working with: the Remote - the Door mirror switch - and the plus/minus buttons on the RS4 steering wheel.

I won't detail too much on the pics as there are loads of them and they kinda show what's needed.

The materials you need are:

1. pair of R32 door mirrors  (150mm)
  2. pair of Seat LCR power fold mirrors (to remove the power fold motor)
  3. Aluminium bar 2mm thick (need 2 widths 20mm wide and 15mm wide)
  4. Torx screws (I used stainless steel)  4mm x 10mm length (4 of these) and  4mm x 12mm length (6 of these)
  5. Nyloc nuts 4mm (need 4 of these)
  6. Card that is 1mm thick (used as a temporary alignment spacer between pivot base and outer lower case)
  7. jubilee clip and large rubber washer (you can use these to hold the LCR motor down in position on the R32pivit .. whilst the alignment is done
  8. 4mm drill bit (and a smaller one to use as a pilot)
  9. Dremel small cutting disk for smaller cuts (resin type works well)
  10. Also useful to have a 115mm mini angle grinder with a  thin cutting disc for the larger cuts.
  11. Probably some luck .... no its fairly easy if you take your time and are happy with taking a cutting disc to your R32 mirrors
  12. oh yeah ... WHY ..... because VW did not make power fold mirrors in 150mm size                                                                                                                                                                              

Initial set up >>

Mark up and cutting >>

Remove this tab on the R32 casting

Where to cut the R32 casting (you can get the cuts approximate to these and it will still work OK ... just use the same attachment method) >>

Alu bar and torx screws (for one casting attachment) >>

How the bars slot in >>

Inner face >>

Top view >>

Case mod .... this bottom plastic tab needs to be removed (the case will still hold firm as long as all the other tabs are still in place)

Finished >>

As I said everything aligns up as it should ... I will post some more pics with the pivot spring and microswitch in place.

Any questions on the mod please ask Smile

#624 Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze

uk-mkivs

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • N. Ireland

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

As I said before, excellent work! Clap

Still don't see what the secret addition is though! Confused 

#625 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

As I said before, excellent work! Clap

Still don't see what the secret addition is though! Confused 

Thanks ..... 'secret addition' what secret addition ... lol   (a bit of it is actually in there Big Smile )

#626 Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze

uk-mkivs

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • N. Ireland

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Mmmm all I can see is wiring for the folding motor, unless its nothing to do with wiring of course!

Looking forward to seeing the video of it working off the steering wheel, now that's pretty cool.

#627 golfmk4gr

golfmk4gr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Excellent work Patric.....i can say professionalWink

I like your perfect measurements .......Clap

RESPECTAgree

#628 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thanks Nick Smile

#629 rOcK_oN

rOcK_oN

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3410 posts
  • Cyprus
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 1.4 170PS DSG

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

i was wondering where have you been!

love the updates, curious on what you'll do next with the interior

and waiting for some promised exterior pics Stick out tongue

#630 patchrico

patchrico

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Essex

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

i was wondering where have you been!

love the updates, curious on what you'll do next with the interior

and waiting for some promised exterior pics Stick out tongue

Been busy at work mate and have not had much time for the mods ...... Tongue Tied

The stuff I have planned is mostly electrical at the moment but will post up some more stuff (and yeah still need the exterior shots Embarrassed)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.