ESP Defeats on both R32s AND FWD 6 speed cars! - D.I.Y Guides and How to Instructions - uk-mkivs

Photo

ESP Defeats on both R32s AND FWD 6 speed cars!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

How i learned to stop worrying and love the bomb ESP Defeat...

Right, so it doesn't take a whole lot of searching to find a couple of threads on Vortex talking about how to code out ESP on the MKIV R32 with the MK60 ABS controller.

Fire up VCDS, go to Controller03 which is ABS

Original soft-coding for a MK60 controller'd MKIV R32 should be 0023049 which translates to ABS/ESL/EDL/ASR active.

Hit the Login07 button, and enter 40168

You should now be free to recode to 0021001 which strips all bar EDL and ABS. Hit do it, logout, and you're done. In theory, the button on the dash for ESP shouldn't work....

All of the above is simple enough, but the problem i faced, is that my MK60 ABS controller has the FWD moniker attached, and my standard soft-coding was set to 0019970.

So hunted around and found some information relating to the FWD controllers found in Anni, late 6 speed AUQ 1.8Ts, PDs, basically anything 6speed and FWD with the base soft-coding of 0019970 or 0020098

The two options i found were 0018945 which would leave ABS/EDL/ASR enabled, or 0004097 which disables all but ABS. Unfortunatley, the only one my controller would take (after using the above login code) was the latter, meaning i now have nothing but ABS. In a fairly yobbish fashion, i went out last night, found a damn bit of road, and dropped the clutch.......yup......no ASR or EDL! Then drove along it and jumped on the brakes, and yup......ABS kicked in.

So there we go, hopefully that's useful to some of you!

There are some soft-codes that allegedly work on the MK20 controller, but they are apparently very hit or miss, and from what i can tell, almost no ESP cars in the UK had MK20 controllers

• cenobytez, Junglist-Jay and andrew_wright like this

#2 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Right, so it doesn't take a whole lot of searching to find a couple of threads on Vortex talking about how to code out ESP on the MKIV R32 with the MK60 ABS controller.

Original soft-coding for a MK60 controller'd MKIV R32 should be 0023049 which translates to ABS/ESL/EDL/ASR active.

You should now be free to recode to 0021001 which strips all bar EDL and ABS. Hit do it, logout, and you're done. In theory, the button on the dash for ESP shouldn't work....

All of the above is simple enough, but the problem i faced, is that my MK60 ABS controller has the FWD moniker attached, and my standard soft-coding was set to 0019970.

So hunted around and found some information relating to the FWD controllers found in Anni, late 6 speed AUQ 1.8Ts, PDs, basically anything 6speed and FWD with the base soft-coding of 0019970 or 0020098

The two options i found were 0018945 which would leave ABS/EDL/ASR enabled, or 0004097 which disables all but ABS. Unfortunatley, the only one my controller would take (after using the above login code) was the latter, meaning i now have nothing but ABS. In a fairly yobbish fashion, i went out last night, found a damn bit of road, and dropped the clutch.......yup......no ASR or EDL! Then drove along it and jumped on the brakes, and yup......ABS kicked in.

There are some soft-codes that allegedly work on the MK20 controller, but they are apparently very hit or miss, and from what i can tell, almost no ESP cars in the UK had MK20 controllers

#3 LSH

LSH

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

Interesting.....

#4 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Interesting, I will have to try this out.

I can't say I've ever noticed the ESP to get in the way when driving like a lunatic on my car.

Sometimes you get it cut in if you hit the gas too hard on a mini roundabout, as the front wheel lifts as you accelarate out, but you learn to apply the gas in a different way, and or slide the car before that point so the car slides out of the situation beforehand.

Must be totally different on a FWD car??

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#5 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Perhaps, the car is a lot more lively, but not in a sense that concerns me!

#6 Yohan

Yohan

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6327 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

LMAO!

Except mine.

#7 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

RIGHT, overdue update!

Been working on this for a while....

As we all know, and R32 rack appeared by magic on my car. This has led to great fun driving other than the twitching issue from the ESP kicking in, a known problem.

For a week or so, i just kept pressing the ESP button on startup, to no real ill effect. However, having forgotten once or twice (and my route into work consisting of a fast, long left-hander which is exactly what triggers the ESP bug), i decided to look for an alternative solution.

So i hunted around, and found this:

It very well may NOT be possible, but here is some food for thought:

For 2001+ G/J 1.8T with the Mk60 ABS controller, here are the Soft. Codings:

ABS only: 04097

ABS/EDL/ASR: 18945

ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP: 19970 -or- 20098

And subsequently this for R32s....

Original: 23049 = 101101000001001 ABS/ESP/EDL

-2048 = 100000000000 (ESP Bit)

New: 21001 = 101001000001001 ABS/EDL (no more ESP)

To perform it:

VCDS -> Coding -> 07 Login 40168

Coding 11 -> Enter 21001 in place of 23049 and "Do it" button

Tested it on my wet lawn, the ABS works great and the ESP does not interfere when on the power!

No more apex out acceleration issues. Priceless!

All useful stuff, but my ABS controller (The MK60 unit), which had the original soft-coding of 0019970 would only take the new soft-code of 0004097 leaving me with nothing but ABS.

Now, with everything disabled, the car has been SO much more fun and raw to drive (it would appear that the ESP button on the dash never truly turns ESP/ASR/EDL off)....but recently a new problem reared it's head...

Some fairly hefty ARBs recently went on, which has made the car even more fun to drive, but it turns out not having the EDL (Electronic Locking Diff) is actually a real problem. Because of the stiffness up front, hard cornering, or dropping off high kerbs too slowly would actually get me stuck. One wheel would spin, and the other would twiddle its thumbs....

Now yes, an LSD would solve this, but i don't have the £700 + labour to accomodate this any time soon.....

So what i really wanted, was to recode the controller to drop ESP, but keep EDL (and ASR if needed, turns out it does).....

So today.....i realised the answer is RIGHT THERE IN THE QUOTED SOLUTIONS ABOVE....

The ESP "bit" in the ABS controller is '2048'.............so if i subtract 2048 from my original softcode (original being 0019970), the new value would be 00017922......and lo......the ABS controller took it......

SO........

I need to go out and some kerbs, and see how it acts, but according to the numbers, and the info found on VWVORTEX and TDICLUB, i'm pretty confident that this should do the trick!

So in essence........a software modification to turn an ESP system into just and ASR system.....i think...

(think became a "confirmed" after some testing)

• Junglist-Jay likes this

#8 Derpins

Derpins

Department of Cheeseburger Consumption

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5677 posts
  • MURICA
  • Golf VI GTI 2.0 210PS

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Interesting....

KLsig_zpsisuek4rz.png

Malaise era is best era.

#9 mk4craiggordon

mk4craiggordon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • fife
  • MKI Models

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:37 PM

bit of a thread revival but im going to try this on my gt tdi but my original code is 00013404? do I just still detract 2048 from my original code?

#10 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:27 AM

Best Pm'ing @timbomfg as he rarely pops by due to hairdressing commitments ;)

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#11 mk4craiggordon

mk4craiggordon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • fife
  • MKI Models

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

cheers booster pmd him but he hasnt been active since 13th may

#12 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

I'll send him a text ;)

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#13 mk4craiggordon

mk4craiggordon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • fife
  • MKI Models

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

cheers :Y:

#14 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

bit of a thread revival but im going to try this on my gt tdi but my original code is 00013404? do I just still detract 2048 from my original code?

In principle, yes. If it works, you should be good to go. IF you have the MK60 controller :Y:

#15 Junglist-Jay

Junglist-Jay

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:41 PM

Finally got this to work on my 2002 PD130 with code 0019970. It wouldn't accept any codes at first other than ones added up from the limited list shown in vcds. I went and changed the WSC number and entered the 40168 in to Coding-II 11 then it finally accepted  0017922 and bingo! No ESP, button does nothing and still have ABS. R32 Rack here we go! :D

The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

#16 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10280 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:41 AM

Nice digging and cool share mate!

#17 Junglist-Jay

Junglist-Jay

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:37 PM

Ok, so after upgrading the brakes to 312 front (brembo max grooved and red stuff) and 256 rear (just standard pagid, for now), suspension (H&R 35mm lower springs with bilstein b4 sport dampers) and putting a lovely set of 235/45/17 Eagle F1's on it feels like the ABS is kicking in way too early. It's adding quite a bit of stopping distance which is annoying to say the least. I have been playing around with the coding options but can't seem to find a code that lets me get rid of the ABS as well. Just thought it would be a case of minusing the 4097 ABS code from the 17922 but why would it be that simple! Power steering is the only driver aid needed for a proper driving experience anyway :D

Does anyone know a code that keeps all the neccessary settings but gets rid of all the annoying computer aids? Or am I having to resort to pulling the fuse and live with the annoying light on the dash? Any input from some of the legends on here would be greatly appreciated :Y:

The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

#18 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:52 PM

Ok, so after upgrading the brakes to 312 front (brembo max grooved and red stuff) and 256 rear (just standard pagid, for now), suspension (H&R 35mm lower springs with bilstein b4 sport dampers) and putting a lovely set of 235/45/17 Eagle F1's on it feels like the ABS is kicking in way too early. It's adding quite a bit of stopping distance which is annoying to say the least. 

Lack of ABS will increase your stopping distance as there's no extra help if you need to jump on the brakes. Try taking the fuses out for it and see for yourself on a twisty country lane or a busy 40, 50, 60 or 70mph stretch of road if you don't believe me/never driven a car without ABS... Your reaction time doesn't give a **** about what set of brakes you're using.  :whistle: By the way, ABS isn't a wholly braking related thing - it's also a steering aid.  ;)

There is only 1 real way of getting rid of the ABS but why do you really want/need it gone? If it's because you want to go to the shops a bit quicker of a Sunday afternoon just before 4pm, then I don't think anyone should answer.

If it really is kicking in too early like you say it does, then perhaps there is something wrong with your braking system. Have you checked the wheel sensors, ABS pump, brake fluid lines, ESP/ADR system, master cylinder, etc? 

#19 Junglist-Jay

Junglist-Jay

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:06 PM

Lack of ABS will increase your stopping distance as there's no extra help if you need to jump on the brakes. Try taking the fuses out for it and see for yourself on a twisty country lane or a busy 40, 50, 60 or 70mph stretch of road if you don't believe me/never driven a car without ABS... Your reaction time doesn't give a **** about what set of brakes you're using.  :whistle: By the way, ABS isn't a wholly braking related thing - it's also a steering aid.  ;)

There is only 1 real way of getting rid of the ABS but why do you really want/need it gone? If it's because you want to go to the shops a bit quicker of a Sunday afternoon just before 4pm, then I don't think anyone should answer.

If it really is kicking in too early like you say it does, then perhaps there is something wrong with your braking system. Have you checked the wheel sensors, ABS pump, brake fluid lines, ESP/ADR system, master cylinder, etc? 

Mate, I can appreciate you get a load of idiots on here that haven't got a clue but I know what it does. I am a mechanic and not just some kid messing about with his car. None of my previous cars have had ABS and I did fine without it. By the very nature of what it does stopping distance is increased as clamping pressure is no longer constant but pulsed, the only way my stopping distance is decreased is if I lock up ie. the anti-lock part. All race cars would have it fitted if it reduced stopping distance! I get that it reduces understeer if you need to brake while cornering but breaking should be done before the corner. The problem I have with it is you can feel there is still plenty more bite left but instead of the car digging in and stopping if needed it gradually slows me down and I have had a couple of close calls now because of it. Everything but the ABS pump on the front is brand new as I swapped out the front end for 1 off a 3.2 TT. Had everything reconditioned and put new sensors, bearings, hubs with rings on and flushed brake fluid through with DOT 5.1. I haven't got round to fully stripping the rear to replace bearings and sensors yet.

All I'm after is full control of my car, without some computer deciding it wants to do something else. Fed up of computers second guessing me and doing things that I didn't ask them to do. Unfortunately this is the way the world is going, I'm just not a fan.

If anyone knows if there is a code to remove the ABS please mail it to me directly, that way it won't be visible to the public for any idiot to get rid of their ABS. Thanks

Hunter S. Thompson

#20 ttg4l

ttg4l

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:03 AM

Mate, I can appreciate you get a load of idiots on here that haven't got a clue but I know what it does. I am a mechanic and not just some kid messing about with his car. None of my previous cars have had ABS and I did fine without it. By the very nature of what it does stopping distance is increased as clamping pressure is no longer constant but pulsed, the only way my stopping distance is decreased is if I lock up ie. the anti-lock part. All race cars would have it fitted if it reduced stopping distance! I get that it reduces understeer if you need to brake while cornering but breaking should be done before the corner. The problem I have with it is you can feel there is still plenty more bite left but instead of the car digging in and stopping if needed it gradually slows me down and I have had a couple of close calls now because of it. Everything but the ABS pump on the front is brand new as I swapped out the front end for 1 off a 3.2 TT. Had everything reconditioned and put new sensors, bearings, hubs with rings on and flushed brake fluid through with DOT 5.1. I haven't got round to fully stripping the rear to replace bearings and sensors yet.

All I'm after is full control of my car, without some computer deciding it wants to do something else. Fed up of computers second guessing me and doing things that I didn't ask them to do. Unfortunately this is the way the world is going, I'm just not a fan.

If anyone knows if there is a code to remove the ABS please mail it to me directly, that way it won't be visible to the public for any idiot to get rid of their ABS. Thanks

Could just unplug the pump/module and tape over the light, job done.

#21 Junglist-Jay

Junglist-Jay

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:20 PM

I'll be pulling the fuse and taping the light as a last resort. May try and wire it in to the esp button so I can disable it at will. Was just hoping for a simple coding solution.

Hunter S. Thompson

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.