Finally fitted R32 DSG airbox feed to my uk R32 - MkIV (Mk4) Golf & Bora - uk-mkivs

Photo

Finally fitted R32 DSG airbox feed to my uk R32

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

Been reading a thread over on VWvortex with some intrest.  It seems as if DSG mk4's were fitted with much larger diameter airfeed pipes,  and also a larger diameter MAF sensor (approx 9% bigger iirc) and top half of the airbox.

I went about ordering the parts for the DSG airbox from my local VW, and I managed to fit them tonight.

Here are some pics I took where you can see my standard UK parts compared to the DSG airpipe parts.

As you can see, the DSG pipes are substantially bigger all round,  and some say this is partly why the DSG golfs are said to produce upto 10bhp more than the UK cars.

Fitting the parts took me and my friend the best part of 2hours.  Mainly as we were fumbling around with 3 clips that hold the lower tray in place!
Driving the car,  well it does seem to pick up more urgently and it seems to be freer pulling.  I can't see why it wouldn't do anything other than add power to the car!
anyway a definate worthy OEM+ type mod (which I just love!)

Standard UK set up
Posted Image

UK pipe VS dsg pipe
Posted Image

again:
Posted Image

again
Posted Image

DSG tray VS uk tray (this part is directly behind the passenger side headlamp).  Just look at how damn small the UK part hole is!  shocking
Posted Image

again
Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally,  the DSG parts installed:
Posted Image

and a pic of my car outside APS
Posted Image

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#2 Jimmer

Jimmer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

Have you got part no`s for these bits?

#3 fenwick458

fenwick458

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5335 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

the std one looks pathetic in comparison! i changed my stock one a while back to the one you have just taken off and replaced. my std one on a 115 tdi was half as small again!

too be honest tho i don't think i made any difference[:(

#4 Jeffers

Jeffers

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:47 AM

Will be interested to know if you notice any difference with the DSG setup?

Group Buy on these parts anyone?

Fly - the photo of your car at APS looks like the rear is a little lower than the front? Might just be the angle of the photo or the ground level though?

Jeffers

#5 graeme86

graeme86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1806 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:07 AM

I did this on my R 32...documented on vwvortex.

I did some VAGCOM logs and there was a small but measurable increase in the g/m going thru the stock MAF.

I would love to add the bigger DSG MAF as well for the full effect, but no one seems keen to advise how to adjust the

mixture correctly to compensate for the extra airflow reading in the new MAF.

black_100.jpg  :wub:  OEM+ modifications?  Check out my Webspace! http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/

#6 ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:49 AM

I did this on my R 32...documented on vwvortex.

I did some VAGCOM logs and there was a small but measurable increase in the g/m going thru the stock MAF.

I would love to add the bigger DSG MAF as well for the full effect, but no one seems keen to advise how to adjust the

mixture correctly to compensate for the extra airflow reading in the new MAF.

Wouldn't it just be a case of a new remap to take into account the increased air flow? Maybe a 4 bar FPR if it needs to get more fuel in?

#7 graeme86

graeme86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1806 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

I'm wondering whether that Lemmiwinks program would have enough adjustability to do it "on site".

You are correct, however. If you could find someone competent around here in the Colonies to actually know what they were doing, it would be very simple.

black_100.jpg  :wub:  OEM+ modifications?  Check out my Webspace! http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/

#8 hz2921

hz2921

BORA owner!!!!!!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • London
  • Bora Sport 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

Hi , has anyone got any part numbers please, or what year car they came from?., looks like a good mod for my 1.8T!.

Thanks

#9 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:38 AM

1J0 805 965 EB 41 - adjuster 1.81 (thats the headlamp cover, the black
plastic shield - I've not taken pics of it, but it's deeper which
allows more room and airflow)

1J0 805 962 GB 41 - Air Duct 10.56 (this is the black tray which has the massive hole)

1J0 129 609G - Pipe 24.45 (this is the big fat pipe!)

All the above are current prices, and u need to add VAT.

I got mine all in for 39 inc a bit of discount.
The
parts are back ordered as they have to come from Germany (cause no one in UK stocks DSG parts!), but they took about 7days in total.

I'd
say you should rush out and buy them before the put the prices up
(which they always seem to do after a load of people start buying
random parts!)
The headlamp cover is amazingly cheap at 1.81!!

I
decided to keep use the existing airbox, so I had to modify (ie dremmel) the inlet so the
new DSG pipe would fit into it. Did this very carefully and the pipe
fits in nice and snug.
You can order a DSG airbox (so you won't need to CUT your old airbox), but it costs almost 70!
I've got the part number for that somewhere if you need it.

#10 hz2921

hz2921

BORA owner!!!!!!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • London
  • Bora Sport 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Done!!!, Thanks gtifly for the part numbers, mine came in at 39 as well!!!

Thanks

#11 diw

diw

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

Cheers for the numbers and all your help this weekend [:)]
After all that rubishing of my local dealers, apparently they've got the dsg parts in stock [:)]
Dan

#12 antera309

antera309

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:36 AM

Really fancy doing this mod.  In combination with a BMC panel filter I reckon it should free a few extra horses without all the puddle-paranoia that fitting a CAI would involve.  Plus it looks totally OEM too!

Do you have the part number for the DSG lower airbox? (I assume it's only the lower airbox section you need to change)  If you don't buy the DSG lower airbox, what is involved in modding the non-DSG one to fit the DSG pipe?

#13 diw

diw

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

Doesn't look like you can just buy the lower part.  My ETKA is quite old though :(
Air box part number is 1J0 129 607 AK

Althought then you'd have to start messing with the MAF [:(] as it's a bigger diameter pipe.

#14 antera309

antera309

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

The DSG has a larger MAF as well?  That would require it to have a completely different fuelling map....  Never realised they were so different.

#15 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

Really fancy doing this mod.  In combination with a BMC panel filter I reckon it should free a few extra horses without all the puddle-paranoia that fitting a CAI would involve.  Plus it looks totally OEM too!

Do you have the part number for the DSG lower airbox? (I assume it's only the lower airbox section you need to change)  If you don't buy the DSG lower airbox, what is involved in modding the non-DSG one to fit the DSG pipe?

the lower airbox part number is somewhere in my pc,  i'll get it for you over the next few days (im off to a meeting now until tomorrow nite).

The airbox is about 65+vat

You can still use the exisiting airbox,  you just need to cut a slightly bigger hole to make the bigger (DSG) pipe to fit into it.  Basically you just need to shave 1cm or so off here and there.

You can see in my pics above where that is

With regards to the larger maf - well the DSG cars used (same as American cars) got larger diameter maf's.  Now I'm not sure whether the larger style maf will be 100% plug and play.  The larger diameter maf allows a few % extra air flow, which would mean a few bhp extra theoritically.

#16 diw

diw

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

Good guide [:)

Finally got around to fitting it today. 
The modifications to the air box went ok i guess, just need to fill a couple of little gaps where i was over zellous with the Dremel.  Took me quite a long time as i had to dremel in a different location to the car [:(]  Total time to fit was probably about 3-4 (should be about 2-3) hours.  You could do it quicker with the lower part of the air box, or with a battery powered dremel [:)].
Also on my v6 the air intacke pipe was a lot smaller than the one in the pictures, so I'm hoping to notice the difference [:D]

NOTE: If you have OEM Xenons with the ballast in the wings (approx < 2002) you need to modify the Air Duct (part 1J0 805 962 GB 41) to allow the balast loom through.  I'd put the car back together (front bumper and everything else before realising, so I had to strip the whole thing down again to cut a hole, hence the extra time)

#17 pope1

pope1

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2810 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

So what's the verdict on this mod then? 
Any more induction noise?
Does the car feel any different?
Anyone measured flow through the inlet with vag-com on a 1.8T?
Is this mod worthwhile if you still have the same intake size on the other side of the air filter box?

Chris

#18 diw

diw

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

I'm convinced my car feels slightly smoother, but also a bit more urgent, but that could just be positive thinking/wishing.
I can't say i've noticed anymore engine noise. So it's all good [:)]

#19 mixxy

mixxy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:40 AM

Im planning on doing this soon

And will log Maf readings with vag com

Mine from standard
Mine modded with the above and smooth airbox
Modded, smooth airbox + Green cotton filter  

#20 couchd

couchd

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

My god what a difference - looks like another mod on the list!!

#21 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

I think it made a small difference to the car,   but its hard to tell for 100% sure because I have been running a drilled oem airbox for over 2 years anyway.  I'm sure a drilled airbox make a big difference on its own.

I ran MAF logs with the new airbox and I got a vmax reading of 199g/s  in 3rd gear (can't remember the exact rpm, but it was over 6000), which puts my car at roughly 250bhp, which I think is about right

• neilbick likes this

#22 pc.iow

pc.iow

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

Likey likey.

What model's does this fit ?

Is it just the 4wheel drive's or will it fit the PD's

#23 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

it will fit all mk4's that use the rentangular airbox - which is basically ALL mk4's (except for the 1.6's that used the airbox which sits on the rocker cover.)

#24 Jammy B

Jammy B

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3041 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

lookie what came today!

Posted Image

interested to see this!

anyone know easiest way to cut out all the plastic in the grille/mesh?

jammy

#25 Bazmcc

Bazmcc

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8293 posts
  • Northern Ireland
  • Bora S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

Why did you get the mesh part?

And why do you want to cut bits of it out?

Baz

VCDS, Vag Tacho, Cruise control installs, wiring retrofits, seat swaps, airbag plug swaps, etc etc etc.  PM me.

#26 Jammy B

Jammy B

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3041 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:15 PM

Why did you get the mesh part?

And why do you want to cut bits of it out?

Baz

the grille currently sat in my R32 bumper is all cut out (like the one on the other side) and the current one has this metal intake and ducting on it. when i take the ducting out i'll be left with a hole in the middle so i've bought a new grille to replace it!

can i/should i leave this new one filled in?

jammy

#27 Bazmcc

Bazmcc

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8293 posts
  • Northern Ireland

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

The small gaps in the new one is for the air temp sensor.  And if you're fitting the R32 DSG gear and lower airbox then you'll have no air going through the lower grill.  Unless you're keeping the other intake? and just fitting this as well?  In that case then cutting it out makes sense.  Bit of work with a dremel though.

Baz

VCDS, Vag Tacho, Cruise control installs, wiring retrofits, seat swaps, airbag plug swaps, etc etc etc.  PM me.

#28 Jammy B

Jammy B

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3041 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

The small gaps in the new one is for the air temp sensor.  And if you're fitting the R32 DSG gear and lower airbox then you'll have no air going through the lower grill.  Unless you're keeping the other intake? and just fitting this as well?  In that case then cutting it out makes sense.  Bit of work with a dremel though.

Baz

i'm taking the ducting/intake out and putting this DSG one in, i removed the original one when i put the metal ducting in.

so if i leave the new lower grille as it is i won't get any air in? but if i cut it all out it'll work?

jammy

#29 Bazmcc

Bazmcc

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8293 posts
  • Northern Ireland

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

OK - but you realise that the R32 DSG system works like the stock one and has nothing to do with the lower grills right?  The air comes through the holes in the top of your lock carrier behind your front grill and passes behind your headlight.

Baz

#30 Jammy B

Jammy B

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3041 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

OK - but you realise that the R32 DSG system works like the stock one and has nothing to do with the lower grills right?  The air comes through the holes in the top of your lock carrier behind your front grill and passes behind your headlight.

Baz

oh really?

i always wondered how it worked!

next question.

how much of a hinderance is my having a kamei grille?

and should i cut the lower grille or not?

cheers!

jammy

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.