Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ok, I've been kicking round the forum for a number of years and had some ups and downs with the 10 years of ownership I have had with my 25th Anniversary golf. As I'm now near the end of my engine refresh work I thought I should put some of my experiences down in a thread. So here is an old picture from a crap phone of her when she was quite new.

Sad to say but her paintwork is not as good as that now but it's on the to-do list!
Anni%20Amend.jpg
So in the past 10 years we've been to Austria twice and run out of go on the Autobahn, had 2 new cam shafts :(, a new turbo at 60k miles :( and the injectors rebuilt by Keith at United Diesel 3 years ago in February. I'm sure most people would have given up and walked away by now. Oh well that's life :)

Flash forward to 2010, just knocked over 85k dropped in the reworked injectors and a new set of suspension thanks to Bogwoppitt. She was running like a DREAM........

Proof of this was when my wife rang a month later telling me that her waters had just broken for our second child an I got from work (Rickmansworth at the time) to home (Bracknell) and then on to the hospital in Frimley in less than an hour and still got over 50mpg.

All was well................. until 8 weeks later.

To be continued.........

• masterpfa, sawfordtdi and lewisj285 like this

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#2 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

So eight weeks later, sleep deprived due to the new arrival I had been confronted with two pretty tough bits of news,

1, my newly born daughter had a significant heart defect

2, my wife had Stargardt's disease (partially sighted)

Problem 1 I discovered was going to be a roller coaster ride visiting Great Ormond Street hospital.

Problem 2 meant my wife could no longer drive and we really had no need for 2 cars.

Now I could bore you all to death about problem number 1 but we can catch up with that later.

Problem 2 is more interesting for a car forum so lets follow that line for now.

So with this info we had a few choices as my wife had an 06 Passat with 40k on the clock at the time - neither of the cars owed us anything so we could sell both and get a 3.0TDI of some type, sell the Golf and keep the Passat or just keep both and run the Golf on a limit mileage basis and add a few more ponies.

Yes, I kept the Golf and at this point I would like to thank a few people who have got me so far! Ray aka aRd, BoraChis, Ollie, Tim Sr, Bobby Singh, Ryan and Scott and Darkside, my friendly VW mechanic and my very understanding wife!

So the research began and the hunt for more ponies.........

Build Thread

#3 raymondo

raymondo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

first things first gald you kept it!, im gonna be closlely following this thread, i think things may get very interesting!

sorry about the news on your daughter, hope everthing works out good for her mate.

#4 mbgti01

mbgti01

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2749 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

as ray said so glad you kept it through everything and hope your daughters ok :)

any more pics ? 

#5 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

More pics to follow......but of dirty bits [:)]

Flash forward to Easter 2011.  Ouch! this fence is getting starting to get uncomfortable.... Trick 1852 Hybrid or GTB2260? Just to cover the family bit, my daughter went to Great Ormond Street (GOSH) just before Easter in 2011 for corrective surgery.  It was done by a really good guy who has appeared on a number of the documentaries on BBC2 and the prognosis at present is really good and it is highly unlikely that further work will be needed [<:o)] hence I now regularly support the work of GOSH on a regular basis, though I do occasionally wonder if they fitted an attitude at the same time [:)], that could just be a girl thing!

So 3 weeks after my daughters surgery I started a new job so spending cash on the car was on hold but research continued and I already had an uprated Sach's clutch sat in my wardrobe thanks to a GB on the VWOC website

Research, Research................

You know you can find out a lot about TDI turbos and Cat Breading on the web........... 

• lewisj285 likes this

Build Thread

#6 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Very happy to hear about the positive news for your daughter [y] Hope the missus and family unit as a whole are coping well. GOSH are a great organization doing a great thing.

Cars are a wonderful channel of energy away from the less good things in our lives..

So what is coming up soon then? [:p]

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#7 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Ok, last post for today as I have to sort some family bits and bobs out but lets move forward to 2012 and drop some hints [;)] which any of the TDI boys should work out.

So the turbo decision fence is now getting very uncomfortable especially for someone as old as me. [:P] (before anyone says anything). A few PM's have been fired around between me, Ray and Bobby plus a few random emails with the nice guys in Barnsley.  I've also exchanged a PM with Tim Sr after seeing a post from Ray on his thread.

Summer 2012

After a PM to BoraChris, a nervous wait, a few texts and a telephone call I suppose I'd better get this clutch in the car! I'm getting a bit of an ear bending off the wife as it's been in my wardrobe for nearly two years!

So first late night at a friends workshop only to discover the slave cylinder didn't fit.  I knew this car was going to be trouble!  The next day she was back together with a red powerflex polybush dogbone and a few hundred miles to cover to bed the new clutch in.  I hope I don't get stuck in traffic, its a bit heavier than the old one [:)]

Build Thread

#8 Smiffy403

Smiffy403

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Good on ya for keeping it, cracking cars [Y] il be keeping a close eye on this [:D]

#9 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

MeSoJelly

Also, you should come to some meets next week!

#10 PokerProTDI150

PokerProTDI150

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Interesting thread, i like the way its heading .... must watch [:D]

2003 Black magic PD150

2002 Harlequin Anniversary 1.8t

2002 Sunburst orange 4motion

#11 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Look out for the next update.  "The Boxes arrive".....

Family day today so no more posts today.

@Tim, thanks for not spoiling the surprise, I'm not going to be able to make next weeks meets. She is currently MIA in West London getting an exhaust built as the vent to engine bay is a bit smelly and noisy. Might try and get to homegrown at the end of the month.

Build Thread

#12 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

[Y]

#13 Markaz

Markaz

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Glad its good news about your little girl mate!

Lovely black Anni!

#14 JasonB

JasonB

Fritzel Basement Development LTD

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3362 posts
  • London Heathrow
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

Looking forward to more updates mate, all the best for your little girl too.

11239149524_edaf875c7e.jpg

#15 aRd

aRd

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4381 posts
  • Teesside
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

looking forward to the updates, good news about your daughter

#16 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

As I have a 5 minutes before I need to go and move the old girl from one bit of West London to another bit of West London I thought I would put up another update from late October.

So after having had the run around trying to get a full set of I\C pipes from SFS and not getting very far.  I spotted that Ryan and Scott were now doing a hard pipe kit for the 150pd. I had considered the Allard kit but working with limited time windows for ramp space and family stuff I hoped that the Darkside kit would be a better fit and require less fetteling to get it to fit.  This lot also came with a egr cooler delete pipe plus a few random gaskets for the turbo inlet and outlet.  Unfortunately the alloy billets for the ASV, and the intercooler didn't get shipped by mistake but Scott and Ryan got them over to me the next day [:)].  I'm sure I will say this a number of times in this thread but all my interactions with Scott and Ryan have been really good, the customer service is brilliant.

As I spotted this before the car was in bits it was no great stress.

I'll put some pictures of the pipes installed once I get the car back but from what I have seen so far the fit is pretty good. We'll soon see how they perform with some boooost..........

Coming up next, the box from the North East.........

Build Thread

#17 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

After moving the car from one bit of West London to another bit of West London the pipes certainly hold BOOST!!!

[:D]

Build Thread

#18 Bobby_Singh

Bobby_Singh

B S R

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • West London and Windsor
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

:)

#19 Brother_Bear

Brother_Bear

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Top work by you, and the doc at GOSH

#20 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

So by now I had got off the turbo choice fence and committed to a low mileage.......

it came in a box with a few other goodies including some injectors with 783 nozzles, a 4 bar map sensor, cast manifold and a temporary downpipe.

so as they say, the plan was made and the pieces were in play.  

But also as they say the best laid plans...............

• Yusuf likes this

Build Thread

#21 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

So with the plan in place, the garage full of random boxes of bits I lined up my friendly VW mechanic friend and we met one Thursday night in late November. After a few hours work we had a few bits off the car

and thought we were doing quite well for ourselves when as we were about to bolt this little combination on the back of the block.

After a bit of sweat and swearing we got it bolted on, only to discover that the angle that the flange on manifold had been mounted was not going to work [:(]. The outlet of the turbo was fouling the drive shaft and the actuator was pressing into the steering rack, even with all the heat shields removed.  It was now well past midnight and hammering down with rain so we filled the car up with all the parts and performed the tow of shame back to my house.

All I could do was kick myself for thinking this was going to be easy...........

The next day, after a long chat with my wife and a lot of kicking myself for being too cocky about this big turbo game I started to hatch a new plan and a slight change of course.................

Build Thread

#22 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Very odd as in the past it was on my car without issue (AFAIK?)

Suggestion though....contact Moose-LT. He has some 15mm engine spacers that might just give you the clearance you need?

#23 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

Tim,

Thanks for the suggestion but as the car is now back from West London [;)] I’m a bit past that stage – need to sort the niggles of rubbing pipes etc in the bay before seeing what she really can do. It will never be pretty under the bonnet but it will work.  I’m no Ollie!

Hindsight is a great thing and after pondering the problem for longer I think I could have got this manifold to work but due to time and family pressures I took a different and contingency budget, aka bodywork budget busting route [:(].  So that will have to wait for a while, I’ll just have the pleasure of a slightly battered looking car scaring people.

This isn’t the manifold that was on your car, it’s another one that Chris got knocked up for me.  I think providing Chris did not put your car back to completely standard and with a smaller actuator bracket, it might work on your car. If you do decide to go down this route in the future and want to give it a try let me know, I suspect it will be gathering dust in my garage for a while.  To make it fit with the plumbing from Darkside and deal with my clearance issues I changed tack a little bit to get the car back on the road before the I returned to work in the New Year.

BTW, are you planning another meet at the Surrey RR in the near future. Be interesting to see what magic has been done by Bobby.

Build Thread

#24 aRd

aRd

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4381 posts
  • Teesside
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

I've heard  it's a bit of an animal,

what do you think of the drive with the 2260 ?

#25 Wigandill

Wigandill

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

watching with great intrest [C]

FOR SALE, MK4 R32 FULL LEATHER REAR SEATS AND HEADRESTS, (REARS ONLY)

Untitled-1_zpsfdfde82c.jpg

#26 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I've heard  it's a bit of an animal,

what do you think of the drive with the 2260 ?

[au] Though I've been taking it pretty easy as I've got a coolant hose rubbing on the fans and I'm not happy with the angle on the hose connecting into the ASV. Hopefully got a ramp lined up to knock the kinks out next week.

So Ray, which little bird have you been talking to?

Build Thread

#27 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

So after a sleepless night trying to get a rather large turbo into a smallish space and discovering I had clearance issues [brick] I started to work the problem and made a number of phone calls and hit the web.  As I had limited time and a car in lots of bits things were not looking good.

After a bit of thought bringing all the variables into the equation I came up with 2 possible solutions that fitted with my constraints.

Option 1 walk away give up and go back to standard, option 2 post the turbo to Barnsley! [*-)]

So after prizing open the Contingency budget aka "There goes the paintwork till 2014" a new course of action was set and just over 2 weeks later the turbo arrived at my desk with this!

Shiney shiney.......... I must say it is really well made and the quality of fabrication is amazing!  Is it worth the price, ask me that later but at the moment I'm more than happy.

More importantly I was back on track and this little project had not affected family life too much. 

At this point Scott and Ryan get a big thank you for magicking up this little beauty at short notice and my wife gets an extra big thank you for just saying "So it's only a bit of pipe that won't fit! If it will get it back on the road - get it sorted!" [kiss]

• lewisj285 likes this

Build Thread

#28 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

O hello!

#29 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

You have shown a kitty his nip!

Om nom nom.

I like your perseverance mate. Can't wait to see it fitted.

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#30 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

So the turbo was in the box also from Barnsley and it had been tweaked with a new actuator bracket and a modification to the outlet side.

I'll let you spot the alterations to that side of things. As I burnt the budget and was really worried this lot was not going to fit, even though Ryan and Scott had promised me they would (once bitten twice shy) I called my mechanic and asked when we could get a ramp lined up. Unfortunately he didn't think we could do anything before Christmas [:(].

But he felt my pain and a couple of days later he texted me to say I'll pop over in 45mins and we'll bolt that turbo on to check it fits, just over an hour later he rocked up and about an hour later, with the car half out my garage in the dark.......

It was on the block! [<:o)] nothing fouled anything and we had plenty of clearance. Success! So as this was quite late and my mechanic was supposed to be getting a TV mount for his son we pushed it back in the garage and set a date for the 27th December to put it back together.......

Build Thread

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.