20 replies to this topic

#1 Antix

Antix

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

My local VW dealer (Listers, Worcester) is now offering test drives for the Mk7.

They only have the 5dr 1.6 TDi 105hp SE Bluemotion (5-speed manual or DSG) available.

My drive is at 10am, so will do a write-up afterwards!

Anybody else had/having a test drive in the Mk7?

#2 Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

Danger Seeker

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Brexit-Land

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Been invited to our local vw dealers open day next weekend.

Don't know what spec MK7's they got.

:cop:   MK4   Golf   is   the   graveyard   of   your   Ambition    :cop:

#3 Parmaiom

Parmaiom

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Next weekend for me also. Hopefully the Gt tdi version with dsg

#4 Antix

Antix

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Well, I tried the SE 1.4 TSi manual 5dr. It was a good drive, nothing special compared to the Mk6. It has different suspension settings, but isn't as communicative as the (Mk6) GT TSi's lowered suspension and firmer ride/handling/steering.

The roofline is lower (decreased headroom) and the door mirrors are narrower, plus that strange front quarterlight (distracting when you see roadmarkings through it!).

Electric handbrake (something else to get used to) is hit-or-miss - you have to keep both your feet on the pedals if you leave the car in gear before switching off.

Interior is pretty much the same layout as on the Mk6, the centre console is probably the biggest change. Nothing too radical, the computer and cruise control set-up has changed.

I also sat in the GT TDi, it is basically the same as the Mk6 except for the mock-carbonfibre gloss inserts. The matt chrome dial rings have been changed to shiny chrome rings, which is a bit too blingy for me. Rear view mirror is auto-dimming, but the privacy glass is optional (which does away with the need for auto-dimming mirrors) .

All-in-all it is a nice car - but not a vast improvement over the Mk6 dynamically. The 1.4 GT TSI 140 (top non-GTi model) with ACT is a step forward in technology but a step backward in performance.

I rate the Mk7, but prefer my Mk6 (GT TSI 160) to be honest. Will wait until Listers have a Mk7 GT TSI 140 for me to test before I get my cheque book out!!

#5 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Look forward to your comments having driven the 1.4 TSI GT ACT car as that is a more like for like comparison.

On paper the speed performance figures for that MK7 are only marginally less but with more torque, much better fuel consumption ( on paper ! ), less road tax

#6 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

on that basis, I'm glad i didn't bother with a test drive

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#7 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

For how long though...

#8 richwig83

richwig83

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

The Chassis should be better.... wait for the GTI to come out and test drive that![:)]

brakessig.jpg

#9 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

No more petrol for me. Can't afford 30mpg for 19000 miles pa anymore

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#10 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hear where you're coming from.

I enjoyed my GTI but could no longer justify the petrol cost at an average 20k miles per year.

I am now a Diesel torque fan ( together with 52mpg )

#11 Antix

Antix

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Look forward to your comments having driven the 1.4 TSI GT ACT car as that is a more like for like comparison.

On paper the speed performance figures for that MK7 are only marginally less but with more torque, much better fuel consumption ( on paper ! ), less road tax

#12 Antix

Antix

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

^ okay, I have no idea what happened then - but Listers know I want a 1.4 GT TSI 140 to testdrive when they get one, so hopefully it won't be long!

#13 J400uk

J400uk

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'd be interested in trying the GT TSI ACT and GT TDI DSG at some point. Not really that fussed by the entry level models although would like to see if the lack of Multilink makes much difference. 

2015 GTD DSG

#14 richwig83

richwig83

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

The new GTI should do 40MPG on runs.

brakessig.jpg

#15 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Still not enough for me, Rich. Mines supposed to do 50+ on runs - realistically it's 20% lower.

i only went petrol this time as my employer was paying for all fuel - now that they're not, it's a little painful so a return to the darkside next time

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#16 Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

Danger Seeker

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Brexit-Land

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Well went along to the local dealers open day. they only got the MK7 Golf 1.2 to test drive. so didnt bother..

:cop:   MK4   Golf   is   the   graveyard   of   your   Ambition    :cop:

#17 Fat Ben

Fat Ben

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Bora Sport 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Still not enough for me, Rich. Mines supposed to do 50+ on runs - realistically it's 20% lower.

i only went petrol this time as my employer was paying for all fuel - now that they're not, it's a little painful so a return to the darkside next time

Just to rub it in, we did about 100 miles today in the Mrs' mk6 110bhp desiel, a bit of all types of road, and got a days average of 62mpg. Oh, and £35 a year road tax! Pity I can't say the same for my Bora.

LCR Brembo fronts, Vented Rears, Sachs Clutch, R32 Reps, Weitec Springs and Dampers, Whiteline Rear ARB, S3 Upper & Lower Strut Braces, 8mm H+R Rear spacers. Click image below for build thread!!!

vNOcT.jpg

#18 Fat Ben

Fat Ben

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

^oh, and its not even a Bluemotion [:o]

LCR Brembo fronts, Vented Rears, Sachs Clutch, R32 Reps, Weitec Springs and Dampers, Whiteline Rear ARB, S3 Upper & Lower Strut Braces, 8mm H+R Rear spacers. Click image below for build thread!!!

vNOcT.jpg

#19 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Err..thanks [banned] [:D][:D] [;)]

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#20 richwig83

richwig83

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just to rub it in, we did about 100 miles today in the Mrs' mk6 110bhp desiel, a bit of all types of road, and got a days average of 62mpg. Oh, and £35 a year road tax! Pity I can't say the same for my Bora.

Id rather get 30mpg and have a fun time. [:)]

brakessig.jpg

#21 Fat Ben

Fat Ben

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Id rather get 30mpg and have a fun time. Smile

This is the Mrs' car we are talking about, not mine!

vNOcT.jpg

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.