116 replies to this topic

#61 Lamb

Lamb

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks guys.........

Was a Petrol 03 plate....done 42k miles full VW history.....untouched.

Personally i think i let it go cheap considering what you see on autotrader.

Dont believe the hype on here.......aslong as you got a good car, people will pay the money.

#62 peace1969

peace1969

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2913 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

Dam it's even cheaper what going on there then?

Clicky

#63 Brian_GTI

Brian_GTI

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:40 PM

It appears too good to be true, you would expect the dealer to be asking £2k more for it. You wouldn't usually get a half decent standard PD150 for this. 

#64 dc

dc

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:04 AM

I've been saying it all along, Anni's are well overpriced and always have been. My mate who buys and sells cars for a living confirms this.

It appears too good to be true, you would expect the dealer to be asking £2k more for it. You wouldn't usually get a half decent standard PD150 for this. 

A dealer wouldn't shift that car with another 2 grand on it, that's why it's priced accordingly.

Anyone who pays the asking price for some of the cars advertised on here needs their head examined. Only someone foolish with their cash or extremely desparate would pay it.

If I turned up to look at an Anni I would be offering book value regardless of how clean it was, and the majority of punters are going to do the same.

That's why some of you don't get any interest when you put them on the market at over 8 grand.

#65 craigsmk4

craigsmk4

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1683 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:31 AM

Dam it's even cheaper what going on there then?

Clicky

that is cheap,cant be right!cant wait to get mine.

craig[Y]

#66 BURTON

BURTON

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

Damn - the prices seem to be falling right as I want/need to sell mine.

Anyone interested in a fairly tidy Derv Anni with 77k great car and is currently being serviced by VagTech

#67 craigsmk4

craigsmk4

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1683 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:10 AM

i would mate,but im wanting to px mine against one,so il have to get mine from a dealer!so the search continues!off topic but wheres are all the red anni`s gone?

craig[Y]

#68 tsl_wales

tsl_wales

I ate a big red candle !!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10384 posts
  • Bridgend, South Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:38 AM

I think the going rate at the moment for a mint Anni is around the £8k mark.

Sem has his Anni up for sale at the moment which is awsome and is £9k. I think that is a good buy for someone.

2002 Vw Golf GTI 25th Anni PD150 - Sold, 2010 BMW 118D M Sport Coupe - Sold, 2008 Vw Polo 1.6 sport 16v - Sold

Current car: 2011 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI Sline

#69 LSH

LSH

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

Althought the book prices give you a 'rough' idea how much a car is worth...I always find that they sell for quite a bit more at garages and private. I remember trying to get an R32 offering garages and private sellers +£1000 over the book price, and all I got was laughed at. I still expect the same now, with the book prices being too optimistic for the buyers.

Follow the book price by all means, but dont expect to find too many cars selling for those quoted prices!!! (if any).

#70 Brian_GTI

Brian_GTI

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

I've been saying it all along, Anni's are well overpriced and always have been. My mate who buys and sells cars for a living confirms this.

A dealer wouldn't shift that car with another 2 grand on it, that's why it's priced accordingly.

Anyone who pays the asking price for some of the cars advertised on here needs their head examined. Only someone foolish with their cash or extremely desparate would pay it.

If I turned up to look at an Anni I would be offering book value regardless of how clean it was, and the majority of punters are going to do the same.

That's why some of you don't get any interest when you put them on the market at over 8 grand.

DC - My point here is that a dealer selling a reasonable mileage PD Anni for under £6k would have bought it for significantly less to make a profit on it. On this basis the previous owner must have been desperate to get rid of what appears to be a good Anni for probably under £5k. Assuming the advert is genuine the dealer must either be desperate to make a quick buck or he doesn't realise that an Anni will command a premium over the standard model.

I agree with you that there are many overpriced well worn Anni's out there, and many of their owners are in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to pricing. However, as demonstrated by Tony_Danza and Dod1396 there is currently still demand and decent money being paid for hiqh quality Anni's, especially PD's. You personally may believe that it is foolish to pay such prices, however, the market will dictate. I am personally unbiased as I don't own an Anni and therefore have no reason to talk prices up. If you read my earlier post on this thread, you will actually see that I believe that the Anni will be fairly much forgotten in a few years time along with most other Mk 4 Golfs.

#71 adz2k6

adz2k6

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4054 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

Sean Kenyons's anni is also up for sale for 7K, another 220bhp monster! would be a good buy me thinks..

#72 Mike Roberts

Mike Roberts

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

What a load of toss. Surely you and your mate should be taking advantage of this market if you know so much by snapping up Anniversaries for "book price" and selling them to these "mugs" for £8-9k?

I don't see why Anniversary prices offend you so much? There are people with Anniversaries and there are people who want them. Given there's less that 1800 available and when you narrow it down further to preferred powerplant and colour.. you're fishing in a very small pool, 1/300 to be exact. Not a lot of cars eh? especially considering many will have been written off by now and there's a certain amount of unsalable dogs out there.

Why do people pay silly money for stamps? Why is a Les Paul worth more money in one colour than another?... I don't claim to understand their personal rational, but if someone's prepared to pay - then that's up to them.

I took what I considered to be an intelligent gamble on buying mine,and it paid off. I lost a tiny fraction over £3k in depreciation over the 3 years I owned my Anniversary. If I'd have paid the same money back then for what would have no doubt been a better spec, newer PD150 I'd have lost more like £6k given the current market.

Cry on here all you like, with your bitter ramblings and expert knowledge on 'what's worth what'... I'm the one with a healthy savings account and the new owner got a very well looked after car that will no doubt still be commanding a premium when he comes to sell it.

Go dry your eyes and deal with it.

#73 eyeamsparticus

eyeamsparticus

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

For the most I agree with Tony - a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I suppose you could call it it's subjective value.

However it's true value has to be viewed objectively, and to that extent Anniversaries are overpriced. How can I prove this? Well take a £10,000 Anniversary and drive it head on into a tree. Then go to your insurer and ask them for £10,000 to purchase a replacement. What your insurer will give you is the current market value of your car, not your own personal / subjective valuation.

For something built in limited numbers and supposedly rare and sought after, don't you think there are a disproportionate amount of Anni's for sale. They seem to be everywhere! 

#74 Dod 1396

Dod 1396

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

For the most I agree with Tony - a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I suppose you could call it it's subjective value.

However it's true value has to be viewed objectively, and to that extent Anniversaries are overpriced. How can I prove this? Well take a £10,000 Anniversary and drive it head on into a tree. Then go to your insurer and ask them for £10,000 to purchase a replacement. What your insurer will give you is the current market value of your car, not your own personal / subjective valuation.

For something built in limited numbers and supposedly rare and sought after, don't you think there are a disproportionate amount of Anni's for sale. They seem to be everywhere! 

Always negotate hard with the insurer on value of any car.

This means research,an old van of mine caught fire(electrical!), the insurer offered £1200 but through research i found it would cost £2200 to replace on a like for like basis which I could back up with Autotrader ads etc .

I also got my excess as well because I needed £2200 to buy the van not £2000 less the excess they wanted to pay.They paid the amount, to put me in the position I was in before whether they would  now thankfully, I haven't been in that position since.

There does seem to be a few Anni's on the market at the moment.(I've just sold mine in under a week,so there is still people wanting them even for strong money for good low milers) But because of there rarity, the ads always attract attention (and forum posts) and people always want them especially the PD's.

Just my 2p

#75 Frodo-anni

Frodo-anni

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1420 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

There seems to be a lot of anni TDIs with 60k miles for around 7.5k, seems the market value has dropped in recent months

Don't believe the hype on here, I got asking price for mine last month (minus the cost of the service and MOT as the new owner wanted to do it himself)... if it's a good one, it'll sell - you just have to wait for the right buyer as it is a niche market.

And its being very well lookied after!

Mk4 25th anni pd (gone)

Mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG

#76 Frodo-anni

Frodo-anni

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1420 posts
  • West Yorkshire

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

At the end of the day regardless of what parkers glass guide says, a car will sell for what someone is prepared to pay for it, my anni with 42k in silver after looking at a few recently i would describe as very tidy and would have an asking price accordingly. Mike's black anni pd, was in fair better condition than many ive seen, even when taking mileage into account. my mate ollie is very happy with the car and the price he paid.  The car is a credit to mike and will continue to be looked after like he has.

Mk4 25th anni pd (gone)

Mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG

#77 peace1969

peace1969

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2913 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Anni are still holding there value there is a lovely 2003 silver one below, but it on the hitlist[Y]

Clicky

Clicky

#78 BURTON

BURTON

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Just put mine in classifieds (awaiting approval from the mods!) Had a quick look on autotrader and prices aren't quite as bad as I thought, assuming of course the cars on there are actually selling.

There's even a mega low mileage one at £13k - yikes

#79 Jamesvts

Jamesvts

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

when i was lookin around before bought mine a couple weeks ago, found that they vary between 5.5k up to 13k! and milages vary between 30k up to 120k!

#80 Mike H

Mike H

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:39 AM

Just put mine in classifieds (awaiting approval from the mods!) Had a quick look on autotrader and prices aren't quite as bad as I thought, assuming of course the cars on there are actually selling.

There's even a mega low mileage one at £13k - yikes

The one with 8k miles on up for £13,000 is possibly the WORST looking anniversary I've ever seen.

Forgive me for thinking that the rear valance and lights on that completely destroys what has the potential to be the lowest mileage anni in existance.

#81 tsl_wales

tsl_wales

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10384 posts
  • Bridgend, South Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

I saw that one on pistonheads and it looks ugly as hell. The guy would be better off putting it back to standard and he would probably sell it then.

2002 Vw Golf GTI 25th Anni PD150 - Sold, 2010 BMW 118D M Sport Coupe - Sold, 2008 Vw Polo 1.6 sport 16v - Sold

#82 Jamesvts

Jamesvts

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

thats the worst anniversary ive seen! why would you do that to it?! wonder if the milage is genuine lol

#83 jubbly

jubbly

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

Well I never managed to sell mine, advertised for 10 weeks and only 2 phone calls, one of which thought they were all diesels [;(]  so looks like i'll start using it again [:)] 

#84 johng

johng

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

Bubble has burst on anniversaries commanding 10k.

Many currently on autotrader with low miles not selling.

A year ago as seller you could almost name your price.

As a past anniversary owner, along with other rare Golfs  I appreciate them commanding higher prices. The problem with comparing them to Mk1's is they are 25 years old and genuine classics.

What category does a 25th anniversary fall into at the moment?

Look at prices of special editions from the past like 20th anniversaries, corrado storms, rallyes etc all rare but not commanding a premium price. The mint low miles ones carry a premium but the run  of the mill examples?

If you have a standard low mileage anniversary then in years to come it will appreciate in value, as current Mk1's.

Unfortunately most anniversary are now nearing 100k miles which put them in the category of just another Mk4. The special parts may be damaged or missing, like seat bolsters worn, alloys damaged, incomplete service history etc. Why would you pay a premium for this?

Just my thoughts on the subject.

At the end of the day any car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

#85 noddy1875

noddy1875

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4808 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

Worth about £1000 over the price of the same reg/same milage "ordinary" MK4 with roughly the same spec.

Nowhere near the silly prices some people are asking for them

#86 BlackMagic20vt

BlackMagic20vt

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4817 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:28 AM

As a past anniversary owner, along with other rare Golfs  I appreciate them commanding higher prices. The problem with comparing them to Mk1's is they are 25 years old and genuine classics.

Look at prices of special editions from the past like 20th anniversaries, corrado storms, rallyes etc all rare but not commanding a premium price. The mint low miles ones carry a premium but the run  of the mill examples?

If you have a standard low mileage anniversary then in years to come it will appreciate in value, as current Mk1's.

Unfortunately most anniversary are now nearing 100k miles which put them in the category of just another Mk4. The special parts may be damaged or missing, like seat bolsters worn, alloys damaged, incomplete service history etc. Why would you pay a premium for this?

spot on..

#87 Frodo-anni

Frodo-anni

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1420 posts
  • West Yorkshire

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

my pd stiill only on 44k though, so plenty of life left lol

Mk4 25th anni pd (gone)

Mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG

#88 LSH

LSH

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

I was offered £8k cash for mine the other day...

but its not for sale!!! [:)]

#89 tsl_wales

tsl_wales

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10384 posts
  • Bridgend, South Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

£8000 cash is good at the moment. Mind you if someone offered me that for my diesel Anni i would say no.

Theres quite a few on ebay going for around £6-7K but the mint ones still can go for quite alot.

#90 Brian_GTI

Brian_GTI

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:38 PM

Johng - your thoughts are spot on. Whilst exceptionally good / concours cars will still reach the £10k mark, most of the surviving cars have been 'used', and therefore only deserve a significant premium over standard petrol 180's / diesel 150's if their unique Anni bits are in good condition.

Being an 'old boy' and having witnessed the fall and rise or the fall and demise of many 'desirable' cars during the last 30+ years, I personally think the Anni will become another forgotten / overlooked car in a few years time.

If you look objectively at the Mk 4 Golf, it was a very nice car when launched, still the benchmark for quality in its class, albeit the Focus had partially closed the quality gap and was better to drive. The Mk 4 GTi (petrol) was poor in non turbo form, and average in turbo form. Therefore, even with the additional Anni bits and an extra 30 bhp, the Anni GTi is hardly a memorable driver's car. The GT TDI's offered something new, however, even the 150 bhp model doesn't offer ground breaking 'GTI' performance. Therefore the Anni TDI is a nice car, but hardly justifies a massive premium over standard cars.

As stated, an immaculate Mk 1 Golf GTi will command a healthy price, however, MK 2's are significantly cheaper, c£4k for a concours winning example, there is little interest in Mk 3 GTi's. Unfortunately, I think mk 4's will follow Mk3's during the next few years, and become a forgotten GTi.

With Mk 5 GTi prices becoming cheaper, why pay a similar amount for a 6 year old MK 4 Anni ???

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.